Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 X-15
Amp Level Control

I am currently gathering pieces for my stereo upgrade and have a question for you more experienced people. I was considering using a Kicker Dual Zone remote control for my in boat and tower amps. However looking at the amps I notice JL has a telephone jack type connection to control the level from each amp. The amps are a M2250 and a MHD-750/1. This telephone jack connection would be cleaner than the Kicker. Is there any advantage using the Kicker versus the JL factory route? ON teh MHD it says level control and on teh older M2250 it says bass level control. I assume these are the same thing?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
The Kicker ZXM-RLC is also a 9V line level. The ZXM will also work regardless of what amps are used as its controlling the source signal level. On some amps, the Bass level control is just that, bass level and only works when the amp is in low-pass.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by treiter View Post
I am currently gathering pieces for my stereo upgrade and have a question for you more experienced people. I was considering using a Kicker Dual Zone remote control for my in boat and tower amps. However looking at the amps I notice JL has a telephone jack type connection to control the level from each amp. The amps are a M2250 and a MHD-750/1. This telephone jack connection would be cleaner than the Kicker. Is there any advantage using the Kicker versus the JL factory route? ON teh MHD it says level control and on teh older M2250 it says bass level control. I assume these are the same thing?
These are two very different functions.
On the HD/MHD or XD/M amplifiers the port provides a linear level control.
On the G/M2250 amplifier the port is the gain for a bass boost which is equalization centered at a predetermined frequency.
With this mix of amplifiers the Kicker dual zone control looks like an easy solution. Or, you can skip the ports and do the same with two JL Audio line driver/controllers picking up the additional drive voltage.

David
Old 03-31-2013, 11:19 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the explanation. Kicker controller it will be!

Picked up some 4 ga for my new amp yesterday. Holy Crap is copper getting expensive!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treiter View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Kicker controller it will be!

Picked up some 4 ga for my new amp yesterday. Holy Crap is copper getting expensive!
The reason the control uses a phone cable is that it electronically controls the level inside of the amp, not by sending the audio signal to a controller via long cables. The first way makes it very easy to avoid noise problems and the latter just about guarantees noise problems will exist.

Copper is a commodity and demand is high. Not as high as in during/before 2008, but it's still very high. Also, a lot of these metals are leaving this country because foreign buyers will pay high prices. People who want a World Market need to be careful about what they wish for.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-18-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM
TT Newbie

Good points. I just needed something to complain about!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Copper is still relatively cheap.... about half the price in 2008 than now. Price really hasn't gone up in the last 2 years or so.

2008 ==> http://www.tradeservice.com/copper_pricing/2008.html

2013 ==> http://www.tradeservice.com/copper_pricing/index.html

World market... lol.. unfortunately the rest of the world can and does afford it. The U.S. is in hock and getting deeper beyond debt....

Copper is cheap? Really? If it's so cheap, why has the price of Coax and Cat5e/6 more than doubled since 2007? Also, look at warehouse stock levels- that, coupled with demand.....
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I was thinking the same thing. About installing a level controller. I have 2 JL amps. a 600.4 and a 900.5 and both have the telephone wire port. Does this mean I have to get 2 controllers and can I run them in series?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. About installing a level controller. I have 2 JL amps. a 600.4 and a 900.5 and both have the telephone wire port. Does this mean I have to get 2 controllers and can I run them in series?
They may have something that acts as a "splitter", but there's no guarantee that the level of the two amps will vary proportionately. How often would you need to change the relative levels, anyway? If it's set up properly, you should be able to use the head units' volume control most of the time, with only minor tweaking when you want balanced sound at low SPL, if you originally balanced everything at high SPL, or vice versa. If anything, if would be helpful if they had an In/Out/Through configuration, but that would require more parts and circuitry.