Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
The X1 is going to get tight fast with 6+ people and gear every single time out. It also isn't so great on the larger bodies of water. In your situation I would lean X10 minimum for the interior space alone, but really X30/Maristar 230 if you can find one in your range. The X30/Maristar 230 has a pretty flat transom and not a bad ski wake for a 23ft'r.

The MCX is decent power for the X30/Maristar 230 with the right prop. Its equivalent in the earlier 09-02 model years is the LTR.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
We have an '08 X30 and here is what I can say. You will LOVE the size of the X30. The storage space and the people space can NOT be beat. That said, you will really need to decide what a "decent" ski wake is for you. I would say I was a pretty darn good skier behind my prior inboard at say 28-30 mph. But, when you head toward our current X30 wake.... I often will decide to just stay on the side I am on and play back and forth on that side. Then, gingerly make my way back over the wake to play on the other side.

Maybe I have just gotten older and more aware of taking a hard dive, but the wake is big enough to make you pause.

All that said, with your target budget, you will need to look at some '06 or earlier X30s and the hull was different in those years, so perhaps the wake is different also.

This past summer we taught some of our friends kids to wakeboard, and attached are a few pics to show you the wake. Now granted we are going in the 20ish speed, but for the wake to flatten out at all, you have to be up around 34 or so. Now if you ski at that speed then great, but that is just not my typical free skiing speed.

Anyway, here are the picks. The X30 is a FANTASTIC boat, but if skiing is a primary criteria, you definitely need to make sure you demo whatever boat you look at and determine the speed and type of wake you are comfortable defining as as a nice ski wake.

If you have any questions, give me a shout.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
just don't confuse the 2nd gen X30 06-11 with the 1st gen X30 01-05. the 1st gen x30 is the same hull as the maristar VRS 230 that came out in 98. in 98 it was called the VRS 225 (same hull though). in 01, MC took the VRS 210 and 230 and made the X10 and X30. The x version added graphics, tower and ballast to the boat. otherwise, they are identical. same was true for the original xstar and the 205 and 205v. the 06+ x30's are a very different boat and carry a higher price. every once in a while i'll see an 06 X30 hit the 40K mark, but they are usually a good bit higher.

as far as what you are looking for, the 1st gen x10 or x30 is probably what you are looking for. in 01-02 the common top motor was the 330 hp LTR and in 03+ the MCX was the most common top motor. it was rated at 350hp. there are some with bigger motors, but they seem to be rare. 01-03 towers are the 2nd gen zero flex. 03 had a funny design to their racks are not generally well liked. iirc, in 04 they changed to the more modern zero flex tower with optional swivel racks. the seating capacity on the placard is 11 on the X10 and 12 on the X30. however, having been in both, the X30 is a much bigger boat. i certainly wouldn't shy away from a well cared for maristar version, especially if it had a factory tower and PP installed. you'll likely want to pull the stock rear ballast anyway to add bigger bags so the factory ballast isn't that big of a deal. once you add bigger bags you'll want to upgrade the pumps.

we run the high altitude prop on our 02 X30 with the LTR. i've got 750# bags in each locker and the stock 350ish bag in the ski locker. with just my family of 5 onboard its fine. with 3 families aboard, its still adequate, but it struggles some. 3 families fit ok, but its tight. we added extra racks to help get the clutter out of the cabin. the 06+ X30s have alot more physical room and a deeper freeboard. we are just recreational boarders/skiers so the wake for boarding and surfing is fine. it certainly won't give you the competition wake the 205v hull will, but for our family, space was more important. in your price range for an X30 you are probably looking at an 02-04. don't let the vinyl scare you away. its pretty easy to replace and if you keep the look stock, you can do it piecemeal.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
JAFO has some great info in there.

The X30 had a redesign and a new hull in 06 on. The older hull was a much flatter style and wasn't designed for "a wake" so to speak. It was a v drive ski boat dressed up with a wake package, like almost every wakeboat started til the mid 200's when companies saw w the wake market explode with hulls geared towards producing monster wakes. The redesign focused on making it more of true wakeboat. It meant it was on on a different hull with different characteristics.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 x10 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjet View Post
We have an '08 X30 and here is what I can say. You will LOVE the size of the X30. The storage space and the people space can NOT be beat. That said, you will really need to decide what a "decent" ski wake is for you. I would say I was a pretty darn good skier behind my prior inboard at say 28-30 mph. But, when you head toward our current X30 wake.... I often will decide to just stay on the side I am on and play back and forth on that side. Then, gingerly make my way back over the wake to play on the other side.

Maybe I have just gotten older and more aware of taking a hard dive, but the wake is big enough to make you pause.

All that said, with your target budget, you will need to look at some '06 or earlier X30s and the hull was different in those years, so perhaps the wake is different also.

This past summer we taught some of our friends kids to wakeboard, and attached are a few pics to show you the wake. Now granted we are going in the 20ish speed, but for the wake to flatten out at all, you have to be up around 34 or so. Now if you ski at that speed then great, but that is just not my typical free skiing speed.

Anyway, here are the picks. The X30 is a FANTASTIC boat, but if skiing is a primary criteria, you definitely need to make sure you demo whatever boat you look at and determine the speed and type of wake you are comfortable defining as as a nice ski wake.

If you have any questions, give me a shout.
Thanks for all the info it was a great help. I have been looking hard for an x-10 or preferably x-30 in the 04-05 range. I like the MCX and the tower. I will let you know if I have any questions. I have a feeling you will know the answer.