Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
205v (original X-Star, X2, X1) is a decent do it all boat ... not best at any one thing, but decent ski wake, wakeboard wake and surfable

I would argue that statement just a bit. It's wakeboard wake when loaded up still competes any day with the modern day flagships. It's shape, form and firmness is next to none when weighted properly. Still one of the most sought after wakeboats and wakes to this day. There is a reason they still sell like hotcakes. Sure some of the new 23 and 24 ftr's may have a bit more umff, but if you ask around the industry the old Xstar/205v is still a pro level wakeboard machine consider in the top echelon of wakeboard wakes..
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I agree and understand where you are coming from ... but if it had the "best" wakeboard wake, it would still be used in tournaments instead of the flagships was my point... that might just be marketing though.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
I agree and understand where you are coming from ... but if it had the "best" wakeboard wake, it would still be used in tournaments instead of the flagships was my point... that might just be marketing though.
Wake is subjective so there is no right answer. I think Swatguy's point is valid. Agruably as good as anything. A lot of guys here still hail the 91-94 prostar as the best slalom wake. And they aren't using it in today's tourneys. But I do see the point of your previous post.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
I see where you're coming from for sure. Brings me back to the old Waterski Mag Boat Buying Guide rankings. In one season the old XStar/205v went from pulling the Pro Tour and X Games to being classified as a recreation wake boat. Didn't even make the advanced category. It went straight from being described as a pro caliber boat one season to basically being described as a weekend warrior, entry level boat. This was even before it was tagged the X1 . It was crazy.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 x10 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
Hard to answer without knowing more... What do you want to do with your boat? wakeboard, wakesurf, ski? How well do you want it to do at each of those three activitries? How big of a lake or waterway will you be taking it on? How many people will be in the boat usually? Do you have a weight limit in mind for towing?
We would like to wakeboard and surf primarliy but still have an ok wake for ski. I have 6 people in the family and am sure they will bring friends on occasion. We boat on the Sandusky Bay in Ohio. One of the reasons I was looking at the x 30 is for the sizer not only for the amount of people but for the capabilty of handling rough water. No weight limit for towing although I am not against getting something on the smaller side as we take a fair amount of trips to different lakes.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Vinyl was fine in '05 too.
Not sure about that....my X-star just got new skins on the bottom cushions. The holes for the threads are so close together that the vinyl cracked/split. I can count on 2 hands the number of times people did not have bare feet on my seats, so I doubt shoes had much to do with it.
We'll see how the new skins hold up.

To the OP, don't rule out any year but look closely at the vinyl condition and make your own judgement.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I would look at an '06 - '07 x2. They are a great boat. Decent wake and very surf able. It would be good for the big lake and smaller. Still tow-able. Tons of storage, tons of room for 10 or 11 people. The best part is that these early pickle fork x2 is they don't have any of the funky electronics on them. They have EFI, throttle by wire and nice electronic instruments but lack the touch screens. This means you get the good proven electronics but spare the ballast computer issues later.

This might be at the top of your price range but would fit your larger lake requirements better than many of the early 2000's v nose boats.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
X30 all the way for your situation. I have a family of four and couldn't imagine being in a smaller boat. I've ridden in an X10 with six people and didn't particularly enjoy it. In my X30, eight is where the comfort line is for me. However, if its all women, I try to hit that overinflated number on the max occupancy sticker...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
X30 all the way for your situation. I have a family of four and couldn't imagine being in a smaller boat. I've ridden in an X10 with six people and didn't particularly enjoy it. In my X30, eight is where the comfort line is for me. However, if its all women, I try to hit that overinflated number on the max occupancy sticker...
Agree ... X30 is a great boat and it actually is a decent ski boat ... I've footed behind my neighbors several times.

Happy shopping !
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 x10 MCX
Thanks what years of the X30 would you recomend for that price range. I do like the X1 as somebody recomended earlier in the thread but am concerend about the space but would be able to fit in my garage. Just seems I can get a newer x1 than x 30. How does the x30 do with full load with 350 mcx?