Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 X-15
Jason - how does the stereo sound with the 750/1? I am in the process of wiring mine up. I am wiring my tower speakers in series and leaving it to the amp to parallel internally. My speakers have tweeters - would these need to be series also or leave as is?

Tim
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Tim,
Each tweeter is in parallel with a corresponding midbass driver via a passive crossover. Do not change that relationship or you will take the passive tweeter crossover out of the circuit....and instantly smoke the tweeters. Treat the tweeter and midbass as one entity and series the main speaker connections only.

David
Old 05-01-2013, 01:20 PM
TT Newbie

David

Thank You for confirming that. I am not overly confident in setting this up. What settings on the MHD750. I know high pass at 120 but what about the rest of the potential adjustments?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by treiter View Post
Jason - how does the stereo sound with the 750/1? I am in the process of wiring mine up. I am wiring my tower speakers in series and leaving it to the amp to parallel internally. My speakers have tweeters - would these need to be series also or leave as is?

Tim
Hi Tim - been tied up with work, but i finally had an opportunity to install the 750 today. If the weather holds, we will be out on sunday and i'll be able to give you an update afterwards. However, im sure itll be just fine based on David's professional first hand experience.

-jason
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft x-10
Assuming the 750.1 I just received is the new style amp (instructions still refer to it as a full range amp), there is no perceivable frequency response difference to my ears than when I had it ran off of a brdiged pair of channels on the 600.4 HD amp I had the Rev 410 powered by a week ago. This is from in the boat with engine off and behind the boat wakebaording as well.

So now you have a professional opinion from David and an everyday enthusiast's opinion as well. My concerns have been alleviated and I wouldn't hesitate to think twice about doing this again given the option to restart from ground zero.

-Jason
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: nautique and hopefully xstar soon
i recently upgraded to a jl hd750/1 amp to power a pair of nvs devient speakers(4 10" speakers) and i must say its amazing how much louder and clearer the speakers are now. I also upgrader to a wetsounds ws420sq EQ and these are the best mods i have made to my stereo.

I spoke to a tech from JL and he said that when you run the amp at 2 ohms the amp isnt technically a full range but for all intensive purposes it is.

at 4ohms the amp is a full range amp.

regardless its a huge improvement over my kicker zx850.2

i will be upgrading my inboat speakers to jl mx650 with a jl xd400/4 amp
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 AM
TT Newbie

I finished the upgrade using the MHD 750/1. The tower speakers have never sounded better!! I have to agree that the JL speakers are now much louder and clearer. Glad I took David's advice. The only piece left is the Kicker Dual Zone controller. Not sure when I will tackle that. Will the 9V input make a noticeable improvement or is it more the dual zone convenience that I will get??

Tim
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x-star
another angle

One thing to consider when putting one HD750.1 on two tower speakers is the lack of stereo separation. I spoke with David about this 2 or 3 years ago when I was putting my boat stereo together. David was very helpful with all aspects of my install. One item we disagreed on was the use of two channels ( left and right ) on the tower speakers in order to achieve stereo effect. My stereo system is tuned for cove parties, not so much for wakeboarding. I tested the speakers in both mono and stereo configurations and liked stereo better. I believe Davids position was that at the end of a rope the rider wont be able to tell the difference - I agree with him. If you had 4 speakers you could run 2x 750.1 amps for stereo.

David or JL,
Why is JL so protective of its product thru the use of serial numbers? Are there counterfeit JL amps being produced? or... are non authorized retailers changing s/n of genuine JL amps? what would be the advantage? they would still need to buy the JL amp from somewhere, presumably JL is manufacturing and profiting from them.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 AM
MC Fanatic

craig,
So how do you define stereo? Is it A) a function of two speakers positioned so that they confuse and trick the human perception so that sound is no longer localized?, or B) a true stereo recording with the entire group of musicians in one room with stereo mics?, or C) strong left to right bias, separate L/R information and L/R panning as created on the mixing panel?
Most of the contemporary recordings are highly compressed for playback on personal electronics versus esoteric two-channel systems. With high compression you have very little white space and without white space stereo is pretty much null and void.
You won't find many stereo mics in original studio recordings and certainly not in pop music. You won't find many million dollar album productions as in yesterday's music. Too much is done on a Mac laptop.
So where is this stereo image originating from? Do you hear it in your car? Or do you hear ambience. We can contrive an image in your car with time alignment using a digital signal processor. But without it, the driver and passengers are always closer to one speaker which creates both a phase inequity and an amplitude inequity.
If all those things are perfectly in place then stereo is confined to a sweet spot of limited depth and limited width. You might want to sell tickets for those few who want to sit on the swim deck and directly face the tower speakers. 20 feet behind the boat stereo speakers that are four feet apart are mono. If you have a horizontal array of four tower speakers close together then you have completely destroyed any chance of stereo. You can't have stereo off axis on either side of the boat. If there was a strong stereo bias then you would only hear a portion of the information off axis.
It's the placebo effect. If you have a preconceived notion of stereo then I believe you will hear stereo.
Heck, a vast majority of people who are bridging an amplifier to their tower speakers have an asymmetrical signal issue and aren't even aware of it.
At least the HD750/1 properly sums the signal.

David
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 AM
MC Fanatic

craig,
So why does JL Audio track the serial numbers? Because gray market and unauthorized dealers don't know anything about the products they sell, mis-apply the products and offer zero technical support.
Then it's the product that gets the bad rap rather than the unauthorized dealer or consumer who doesn't know how to use it. Unauthorized dealers will change or eliminate the serial number to protect their source from being cut off. It's common for a gray market woofer to have the spider cut so that the hidden serial number can be removed. The re-glue is done improperly, the spider fails, the woofer sounds bad, and the consumer thinks the product is inferior.
JL Audio wants the integrity of the product maintained and they want healthy dealers who can support the product.

David