Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X15
1st Time Polish and Waxing

Hey guys, since the snow is starting to melt here I thought it would be a good time to start my project on the boat. I got a porter cable 7424xp dual action polisher and a set of medium compound, polish and wax from performance boat candy with an orange and white pads.

I took off the decals and lettering with a heat gun. It was a super pain in the butt to get the glue off from the lettering but I got it after a few hours.

The first pic is taking the back decals off.

The second is cleaned before polishing

The third is after polishing with orange pad.

It looks good from where I took the picture, but if I went and looked up close you could still see some light scratches and imperfections although it is very shiny and you cant tell from a foot away. I don't know if it is the "MC OCD" kicking in or if its always going to be not 100% perfect again.

This was the first time I ever used the polisher too and am not 100% sure how much pressure to put on it when polishing. I know you want to let the pad keep spinning but how fast should it be spinning (or how hard do you need to press)? I've read many things some say moderate others say light pressure but what does that mean? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
looks great! i want to get to that some day soon. but its already past wetsuit season here in NTX!
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
I bought the Dewalt 849 varrible speed polisher that so many on here recommended. The kit came with Several foam pads for compounding and a wool pad for the ole wax.

I run it on the lowest speed and just worked it lightly, small areas at a time.

You should really have a read of this thread and it should answer your quetions.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=41372&page=3

Here's another

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=36159&page=2

Not too sure about the porter cable like I say, I just did a lot of reading on here first and went with most comon on here...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
I bought the Dewalt 849 varrible speed polisher that so many on here recommended. The kit came with Several foam pads for compounding and a wool pad for the ole wax.

I run it on the lowest speed and just worked it lightly, small areas at a time.

You should really have a read of this thread and it should answer your quetions.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=41372&page=3

Here's another

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=36159&page=2

Not too sure about the porter cable like I say, I just did a lot of reading on here first and went with most comon on here...
I think most here would describe the Dewalt 989 as a buffer, though Dewalt refers to it as a polisher. The porter cable in op is what I've heard referred to as a polisher. I have one. (Have the dewalt 'buffer' too). The polisher doesn't have enough oomph to do any damage. You can lay on it as hard as it will go and it isn't really enough to take out light scratches on the boat. But I have limited experience with each, that is just my take on it.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I echo johne's sentiments to a certain extent. The porter cable didnt really remove that many scratches for me no matter what pressure i had on it. U may want to try a heavier grit compound like the 3m super duty. It may be easy to eat through car paint with this but it took me awhile to cut through any oxidation on my gelcoat and i was using the much more aggressive dewalt rotary and a wool pad before i really started making a difference. I wouldnt worry about anything using the porter cable.