Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X5, 2000, 330hp
Steering pull

I bought a 2000 X5 and it pulls pretty hard to the left. Is this normal. What if anything can I check or change.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
First start with looking for anything bent or binding. How does the wheel turn when not underway or when it's on the trailer? Are there any binds? Does it move smoothly in both directions?

Once you've eliminated any damage or worn parts you can start looking at possible rudder upgrades that many have implemented to reduce steering feedback. There were a lot of rudder changes throughout recent years that have improved handling for many of the models. I personally changed out the stock rudder on my 03 X2 to an 06 version and was very pleased with the upgrade. The rudder had a different shape and was much larger than the stock rudder. The results was going from a boat that didn't want to turn to the left and hard steering in general to one that was neutral in steering with a much lighter feel. Pretty much a night and day difference in my case. The newer rudder are available from OJ through Skier to Skier.

http://www.skiertoskier.com/index.html
Old 04-17-2013, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
It's normal to pull a bit to one side or the other - it actually makes it easier to drive straight if you're working against a slight pull. But the pull shouldn't be tiring or be something that you're fighting.

If the pull is too strong, do a visual inspection on the rudder - make sure it's straight (get 20 feet behind the boat on the trailer, and visually check it), and doesn't have damage ( a big nick or dent could cause a pull). If everything looks clean, then you could consider simply filing the trailing edge of the rudder - This is a good thread.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X5, 2000, 330hp
Thanks

Thanks Guys,

The rudder looks okay from what I can tell. I'll take a closer look. The steering wheel doesn't bind and is pretty smooth through it's full range of travel. It does however sit upside down when traveling straight when underway.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
First start with looking for anything bent or binding. How does the wheel turn when not underway or when it's on the trailer? Are there any binds? Does it move smoothly in both directions?

Once you've eliminated any damage or worn parts you can start looking at possible rudder upgrades that many have implemented to reduce steering feedback. There were a lot of rudder changes throughout recent years that have improved handling for many of the models. I personally changed out the stock rudder on my 03 X2 to an 06 version and was very pleased with the upgrade. The rudder had a different shape and was much larger than the stock rudder. The results was going from a boat that didn't want to turn to the left and hard steering in general to one that was neutral in steering with a much lighter feel. Pretty much a night and day difference in my case. The newer rudder are available from OJ through Skier to Skier.

http://www.skiertoskier.com/index.html
"Sorry..... OJ no longer produces that rudder.

Max
Skier to Skier "