Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Get a vest like the one in Franks picture. Stay away from neoprene it rubs their skin raw. Get a good nylon vest.
I disagree with this comment. However, new born vest may be hard to find a neoprene. I could not wait to get my child out of the nylon and into his neo. Again, He did start with nylon because that was all that I could find at the time in his size. Don't cheap out on the LIFE vest. It's like buy a cheap Motorbike helmut.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Read the label on sunscreen, I think most of them say don't use on kids younger then 6 months.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
Ours have the pullover style side entry these days.

Attachment 92114
Swatguy, Those vests look awesome!! I just tried a quick search and came up empty as I tried to figure out where I could pick one of those up for my 8 yr old. Would you mind sharing where you were able to find something like this for your crew?

Thanks!!!

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
They are made by Helium. Which is part of the Stearns/Coleman corporation. I picked mine up from the Stearns website about two yrs ago, but Helium I believe has their own dedicated site now as well and Stearns still shows the close out Helium sales. It's weird
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, x45, 2005, 8.1L
Four weeks old for the first one and five weeks old on the second.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'll echo all these responses. Boating was one of the easiest hobbies to do when the kids were babies.
Keep em under the Bimini and or throw a light blanket over the baby bucket when they're real little.
Of course common sense items have to be more careful than with a boatload of adults.

When our oldest boy was about 2 we lived in a no observer rule state. He was too big for a baby bucket. So we'd bungy him sitting up in the observer seat while the wife and I skiied.
He loved it and kept him from tipping over!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
We boated at 2 mo exactly (May 17)

With only one 4 yr old I am not a kids expert but we do boat every weekend May-Oct so a few thoughts -

Biggest mistake is buying a vest to "grow into". If the vest is too big, child tends to slip down into the vest rubbing chin, blocking mouth or nose and generally uncomfortable. Think about when you have borrowed a spare vest too large and fought it for even the short time before getting up, now imagine doing that all day as a kid......
I would error on the side of too small than too large.
We had a variety of vests so the feel was different though out the day and avoid single rub points. Also different vests/flotation whether we were underway or coved. ( I know not necessarily the letter of the law but that is where common sense conflicts with common law)

First year - 3-7 mos- appropriate infant USCG vest to wear while underway. Fortunately we have houseboat/cruiser friends that allowed us some flexibility.

Started swimming in Dec (8mo) at our community indoor pool. Have been swimming about once per week ever since. Swim suit only, never artificial flotation.

Second year (15-19mo) - infant USCG vest while underway but found the head and chest floatation overwhelmingly forcing onto her back while swimming. Started with a floatation swim suit and also used a second (non uscg) vest that had removable foam plates to adjust front/back swim position and buoyancy (Target)

Third year - 2.5yrs old - much the same with more ranging swimming. Often for more than an hour at a time climbing out using swim platform or ladders. Always stressed using swim platform or ladders for entry to avoid excited, unexpected jumps at the dock or on boat.

Forth season - 3.5yrs old - purchased nice Neo vest but slightly too large and experienced chin rub. Switched back to a smaller nylon vest, no problem. Again, think it was more size than fabric issue. Older niece used the neo and loved it.
She owned the Cove. Swam where ever she wanted and knew which boats had the snacks (little mooch). Diving board, slide etc.

Season 5 - 4.5yr - TBD - High dive jumping this winter at the pool. Expect her to mix it up more with the bigger kids, keep her no fear of crawling between boats and uninvited boat "exploring" in check. There is a fine line between "cute" and "annoying" I try not to cross.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Get a vest like the one in Franks picture. Stay away from neoprene it rubs their skin raw. Get a good nylon vest.
Agree on the neoprene, at least in the very early months. It rubbed both of ours. Toughened them up a bit. Were we to do it over again, nylon for the newborns and transition to the good neoprene vest when they are past 9 months or so.

We had a nice little HO neo vest.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Livi was 8 weeks old when she got her first boat ride (born on Feb 27th)...she loved the boat and would fall asleep after a short time, even with us footin'.

We always made sure we found flat water...for Livi too!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: current: 2010 X14v, 350MCX - former: 1997 PS190 w/ LT1
Sasha a four months

my daughter Sasha starting her boating life at four months old!
Attached Images