Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS190
Heater Core leak on 1997 PS 190

Well after 16+ years... I had my heater leak a little water on this years maiden voyage.

I suppose it just finally rusted out inside and broke? Much like the engine water pump I replaced last spring. (rusted and busted)

I assume this is the norm for these heater cores? They last about 15 years?

I need to go remove the old unit but does anyone have any part # or links to a replacement?

I see heater cores talked about in some posts.. I see something about 100 vs 200? I'm not sure what those stats are referring too?

So if anyone can point to an awesome replacement unit? I will check it out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Wondering if this link to a heater core would suit my needs?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102-1/

Here is a link from skidim.
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Here is a thread on the topic.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=26656

NAPA has a part that is supposed to fit:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...258220660&An=0
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Skidim has replacement heater cores. Price on their 200-series seems comparable to the one you found on Summit. Support a MC parts dealer! Plus, they'll probably be able to offer better tech support, as they should be familiar with the heater in your boat.
G
Old 04-01-2013, 10:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

I have no problem supporting skidim. I have in the past..

I haven't removed the old unit as of yet so I'm not sure what it looks like?.. Is it safe to say that the 1997 PS190 has a 100 series or 200 series? Is that a speed rating? single vs dual speed?

I'm reading that the 200 series from Skidim won't replace a 100 series?

It also looks like I may be able just to replace the core? Which should keep the costs down...

Thanks in advance for any input..
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I have a 96 prostar with a heater and po had the same issue. I pulled it last fall. I think it is a 100 series because it has a blower motor inside the box. I removed it, drilled the rivets and pulled the core. I tried to find a replacement but nothing was an obvious drop in. I found a local shop here in town. They ordered a new core and put the old tanks or top and bottom back on so it was a direct replacement. It cost 100 total, was cheaper than replacing it with a new unit, plus I pumped in a few bucks at a local shop. That is the only radiator shop in town. Truly the little guy. I hope these shops can stay in business because once they close, it is almost impossible for someone to open that type of business back up again in this world of regulations.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Jake.... It looks like I may have a few options. ??

But I still some questions.. Assuming I have a 100 series like you did Jake, I don't see on skidim a replacement for the 100 series? So far it looks like I may only be able to replace/repair the core?

I really would prefer to just buy an complete new unit and install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
I have a 96 prostar with a heater and po had the same issue. I pulled it last fall. I think it is a 100 series because it has a blower motor inside the box. I removed it, drilled the rivets and pulled the core. I tried to find a replacement but nothing was an obvious drop in. I found a local shop here in town. They ordered a new core and put the old tanks or top and bottom back on so it was a direct replacement. It cost 100 total, was cheaper than replacing it with a new unit, plus I pumped in a few bucks at a local shop. That is the only radiator shop in town. Truly the little guy. I hope these shops can stay in business because once they close, it is almost impossible for someone to open that type of business back up again in this world of regulations.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I don't know how your heater is oriented, but on my '96 205 the vents come out of the end of the heater. I don't think vents out of the side would fit due to my kick panel being in the way.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
That looks like the one on my 205, but I wound up picking up a nearly matching core from the local auto parts store. I did have to cut out some of the frame to accommodate differences in the vents/hose fittings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I don't know how your heater is oriented, but on my '96 205 the vents come out of the end of the heater. I don't think vents out of the side would fit due to my kick panel being in the way.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
I could not find a matching core online, so I just took the old one into the store and the owner found a pretty good match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmaus View Post
That looks like the one on my 205, but I wound up picking up a nearly matching core from the local auto parts store. I did have to cut out some of the frame to accommodate differences in the vents/hose fittings.