Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-21-2005, 05:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
Ground Problem

'93 Prostar 190. The radio will drop out at higher volumes. I have been told that I have a ground problem. I have checked all the connection behind the dash console. Everything looks ok there. Not real sure where to go from here???? Should I look for the ground point on the engine block? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:14 AM
MC Master Poster

Always reference any ground point to the battery negative post, making sure the terminals are clean. Referencing to the block won't work because that needs to go to the battery negative, too. Measure the resistance from the radio case to the battery negative, then measure from the radio ground wire. If there's a difference, connect the radio ground to the case, then see if the problem still remains. Check the power connections to the radio and see if they're loose, corroded or that the fuse/fuse holder isn't corroded.

If you're turning the volume control all the way up, don't. That's like going WOT all the time and the power amp in the radio won't live very long. Neither will the speakers.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190
I have run a ground wire directly from the negative post to the where the ground wire is at the rear of the dash pod, and still no good. I am not turning the stereo up that loud when this happens. As soon as I get past 10 (out of 25 I think) it wll drop out and back in continuously until I bring the volume control down.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
I have a similar issue, but mine is probably related to too much amps/watts for the alternator. When the engine is off, if I crank the stereo all the way up it will start cutting out. The longer I play the stereo with the engine off, the less I can crank the stereo. This doesnít happen when the engine is running. However, at night time if I have all my lights running and using my 1,000,000 candle watt spotlight, it will start cutting out unless Iím at a relatively high rpm. Donít remember these issues with my previous low powered stereo.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-7
Sounds like the volume control has dirt or carbon build up on it. If you move the volume around, does it cut in & out rather than smoothly get louder or softer? If it is the volume control, see if you can dispense some contact cleaner with a spray can & the nozzle straw right into the volume control. Move the control shaft back & forth while some contact cleaner is inside. That should clear it up.