Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190
1990 ProStar 190

I've been looking for a Prostar 190 lately due to having ski'd behind a friends Byerly Edition Super Air Nautique and always owning jetboats and I/O I definitely want an inboard. I'm a college student who works at a local hospital so I can't afford a lot right now but I've found a 1990 Prostar 190.

The boat is a 1 owner that has been on its trailer twice, to get to the water, and to be taken out for sale. It was kept year round in a fully enclosed boat house out of the water in middle georgia. It has 475 hours on it and from pictures looks to be in mint condition. The trailer is in new condition and tires have been replaced with the bearings packed. It has a custom mastercraft cover. I'm driving 5 hours tomorrow to get this boat if it runs out good. Out the door the price is $8900. Is this a good price for the situation given? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Sounds like a really good boat! with low hours.

Definitely a good price if the boat is in good condition. I can't imagine there being much interior damage if it was kept in a boathouse all its life.

There are a couple peeps on the site here from Georgia that may be willing to help with examining the boat if you would like.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
I have an '89 PS190. Bought 2 years ago w/ 325 hours, excellent condition for $7K. I think $8900 is on the high side of what you can find available. But, if it's turn-key ready-to-go, needs no upgrades it's not a horrible price. You will be on the water having fun instead of working on a fixer-upper. OTOH, I think any used boat is gonna need something you didn't see coming, usually to the tune of $500 to $2000 - just keep that in mind I'd offer less, all they can do is refuse....
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
8900 is a good price, not a great price, but good.

Depends on how it is equipped, I like to think of ski boat prices as being largely fixed in those years. Nice clean examples of boats from 89-94 will run 8500-14000 depending on the model, the engine, the trans, the hours etc.

I have a rule about not passing 10 grand on a boat.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
23 years is a long time to stay on the water, even with a lift and enclosed boat house. Look for mold damage and expect the foam in the seats to be pretty soft from age. Stitching on the seats maybe weak and starting to tear. Keep in mind that new upholstery going to cost $2500 or more. You can probably live with the old seats as a college student, but it is a negotiating point on price. Ignition should have been converted to electronic, carb should have been rebuilt recently and hopefully upgraded to deal with alcohol in the fuel. Steering should be free or a new cable may be needed. Insist that the motor be cold when you first start it. If the owner has it "warmed up and ready" when you get there, it might have some cold starting issues. If you can, get the motor compression tested. Low hours isn't a guarantee of a good motor at that age. I have had a 1990 tristar for about 10 years and just trying to think of issues I've had over the years. I love my boat enough that I have recently restored it rather than sell and buy new. Those years have a classic look and are still simple enough to do your own maintenance. Cost of ownership should be low if you get a good boat. Good luck!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190
We're talking an heated and cooled boat house that a yacht was kept in as well so I doubt theres issues with the seats but we will see. If I purchase this boat it will be trailered 5 hours on the interstate. Do any of thr seat cushions need to be removed to keep from blowing out? Thanks everyone for giving me a baseline to go from. This will be my 5th boat but my first inboard. I'm very familiar with B.O.A.T (Break out another thousand) due to my last volvo penta I/O which was a nightmare.

Last edited by ReactionDT; 04-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
If the boat is in awesome condition then it's priced right for spring time. I have a 1989 and remove the rear seat cushion and put under back seat of truck when trailering. Best of luck.