Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I think most well made will work and capacity will not be an issue.
A shackle opening large enough to fit the thimble though with plenty of swing room is usually the determining factor.

Unless you are looking for SS, most hardware or farm supply stores will stock galv which works fine and is stronger than SS. If you are hung up on SS for some reason, use the others as a guide for what size is needed.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I use an anchor buddy clipped directly to my box anchor. If the water is over 10-12' deep, I use an extra 30' of Nylon from here to make up the extra distance.
Which anchor buddy do you use the deep water or shallow? I was am thinking the shallow 7' - 21' should be more than enough but looking for advise.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I think most well made will work and capacity will not be an issue.
A shackle opening large enough to fit the thimble though with plenty of swing room is usually the determining factor.

Unless you are looking for SS, most hardware or farm supply stores will stock galv which works fine and is stronger than SS. If you are hung up on SS for some reason, use the others as a guide for what size is needed.
I just wonder if farm supply places will have the nylon as well as it seems you pay a premium from buying from a "boating" site?

Edit-I did find some 3/8 nylon at academy sports (100ft for $25) but it comes with a plastic thimble so I may have to replace that if I stick with this rope.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Found this on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Anchor-H...ds=anchor+line

Not to be construed as an endorsement...

Although I would support buying local, pre-spliced with a quality thimble is hard to find at anything but a marine shop.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
I just wonder if farm supply places will have the nylon as well as it seems you pay a premium from buying from a "boating" site?

Edit-I did find some 3/8 nylon at academy sports (100ft for $25) but it comes with a plastic thimble so I may have to replace that if I stick with this rope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Found this on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Anchor-H...ds=anchor+line

Not to be construed as an endorsement...

Although I would support buying local, pre-spliced with a quality thimble is hard to find at anything but a marine shop.
I think you guys may be confused with my response. Galvanized vs SS was only in regards to the shackle that will attach the anchor to the line.

A properly eye spliced anchor line is important if you don't want to unexpectedly leave your anchor on the bottom from a knot releasing or line breaking due to chaffing at the knot.
A metal thimble is preferred over plastic from a durability standpoint since plastic will tend to wear faster and crack or break under pressure but its not critical. My largest anchor line is galv, two others are plastic. If they are not going to be exposed to the sun constantly like on the bow of a cruiser, I would not worry.

Where you can purchase largely depends on location. Osage Beach, Lake of the Ozarks, Walmart has a year round boating section that is impressive by any standard and grows in the summer. Most every place has some kind of boating gear.
If you don't live by water or at a small marina, you might have one or two choices at high markup. I like to buy local but regard these places more as a convenience store for last minute or emergency purchases, not regular needs.

My recommendation would be more along these lines (pun intended)-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seachoice-Do...item1c30edf49d
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

I guess the other question I would have then is what's the difference (which is better) between twisted and braided nylon?

I found a great site in my search. It seems to have decent prices as well. Thought I would pass along.

http://www.anchoring.com
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMann View Post
Which anchor buddy do you use the deep water or shallow? I was am thinking the shallow 7' - 21' should be more than enough but looking for advise.
I use the deep. I've never had too much, but have found a couple times where I did not have enough.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
I guess the other question I would have then is what's the difference (which is better) between twisted and braided nylon?

I found a great site in my search. It seems to have decent prices as well. Thought I would pass along.

http://www.anchoring.com
That is more of a yachting website but it will work.

Line strength has as much to do with raw materials used as size. Look at 1/2" line by generic imports, common mfg like Seachoice, and quality cordage by Yale or Sampson. The quality of raw material, density and actual thickness is noticeable. Rope is not just rope, just like a boat is not just a boat if you have specific needs.

I prefer double braid nylon over twisted strand for general anchoring. Double braid gets its strength from the inner strands while the outer covering is more protective.
Twisted has the strands exposed so as those are damaged, the line will lose strength. In general too, especially with the lower quality twisted, the fibers will have a greater tendency to snag which leads to frey and compromise.
Twisted is generally preferred by the cruising set for anchorage because it has more stretch which is desirable for overnight and longer anchorage, especially during a storm of surging seas. This stretch acts as a shock absorber to lessen the jerking on an anchor that might lead to it pulling out.
For our smaller boats with relatively shallow anchorage over short time periods; if the anchor is not holding it is either under sized, under scoped or not set properly.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I use the deep. I've never had too much, but have found a couple times where I did not have enough.
I use the deep as well.

Anchor Buddy: 14-50'
Anchor Buddy shallow: 7-21'

With a 2:1 scope recommended with the box anchor (more = better) the short would be good for up to a depth of 10.5 at maximum stretch. You would not want to be at maximum stretch all the time (no where to go when the boat needs more which means anchor will drag at that point defeating the purpose of the anchor buddy). While Sodar pointed out you can attach a line to get more, do you want to always be doing so? So the short may do you if you are always in shallow places like the delta, in lakes with steeper banks you will want the longer version. With the normal version you will be able to anchor farther out which means more protection from the shore for the boat. For the few extra dollars the normal version is the best. JMO.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

So could someone tell me the purpose of the safety pin on this shackle? I mean i could understand if it were on the other end but im not sure how putting a safety wire in the twisted end helps. What am i supposed to tie the safety wire to? Someone please enlighten me?
Attached Images