Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-04-2013, 02:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Great work! It will all be worth it when its back on the water.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Great work! It will all be worth it when its back on the water.
Thanks, I find it sad that someone let it get into this kind of shape, but to me a lot of the fun is working on it. We are ordering the vinyl this week and we are ditching the tweed interior for vinyl. Colors chosen are white, black, and silver carbon fiber and a bright lime green like the valve covers as an accent. The only part I am not looking forward to is pulling staples .
Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
Thanks, I find it sad that someone let it get into this kind of shape, but to me a lot of the fun is working on it. We are ordering the vinyl this week and we are ditching the tweed interior for vinyl. Colors chosen are white, black, and silver carbon fiber and a bright lime green like the valve covers as an accent. The only part I am not looking forward to is pulling staples .
I can feel the blisters already.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Once again my updates have been lacking, but we have made some progress. I have the motor re-assembled and many of my parts came in this week including my spark plugs, trans rebuild kit, and swatches for the vinyl. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365729208.545915.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  54.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365729226.201350.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  97.6 KB

I have started to pull the carpet and we are trying to decide on what carpet to put in it. I would love to hear any input on where/ what carpet has worked out well or has not.

Electrically I have found that both my horn and switch are dead. I will replace those likely this coming week. My other electrical gremlin was the bilge pump both auto and manual. Turns out the PO was a jack donkey and did a good ol' electrical tape twist and tape job in the bilge. Idiot. I will be upgrading my bilge pump from that puny 500 gph to something in the 1200-1500 gph range. Under 10 GPM is a bit slow for my taste should something go wrong.

Last sunday in the cabin we found standing water in one of the cubbies under the V birth. Seeing the low points all had small holes I was under the assumption that these were meant to be drain holes and drained into the bilge. Trying to clear junk I used compressed air to try and blow the crap out. To my surprise i felt bubbles under my feet like I had blown air down a giant straw into a glass of water. After some snooping I discovered those little holes were never meant to be drains and had no connection to the bilge. They are holes drilled through which the factory pumped flotation foam and it has been slap full of water for who knows how long. After some trial and error I discovered the only way to get water out of the foam cavity was a shop vac and 1/8" ID flexible tubing. I withdrew about 15 gallons of water all said and done. It stunk like...i will spare you all that detail. Just happy to have gotten 120 lbs of water out of there.

So yesterday I hooked the motor connections up, primed the fuel lines,got a 5 gal bucket and hose ready and started to try to fire her up. My starter relay hung up and ended those trials a bit short. I am charging the battery and I will be replacing ends and or cables and cleaning electrical connections before a retry. My wife has a couple DSLR pix I will post later this week. With any luck we will get to start on upholstery in the next week or two.

Saturday we are taking the CGA safety coarse so sunday will really be the only day I have to plug along this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
^ is your PCV valve hooked up to the flame arrester, and a stand alone breather on the other valve cover? You can't do that you will get misfiring and stumbling when you take it under way. If you wanna run the round breather thats fine just put it on the port side valve cover and move the pcv adapter to the starboard valve cover and run the pcv valve and hose to manifold vacuum either the factory spacer under the carburetor or a nipple on the intake manifold.

Look here for the proper way to hook up pcv fourth post down is a good picture http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...d.php?p=440530

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-11-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

:doh: Yup. good eye. I need to swap that around. the PCV does need to go to spacer. I got in a hurry and didnt reference my pre-breakdown photos. I bet that vac leak explains why I had to give it 5 sec. of start resulting in a solenoid lock up. I feel like the south end of a north bound donkey for that one. Thanks for catching that!

By the way the breather is connected to the flame arrester as well. I have 2 nipples, one 1/4" and one 1/2". I will also be doing a compression test Sunday. I will post results.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 PM
MC Maniac

With that filtered round breather a hose to the flame arrester is not necessary and you definatly don't tee off one valve cover to both manifold vacuum and flame arrester. It needs one side port valve cover to let air in and the starboard side or pcv side to let air to manifold or out.

Here is my setup:
Attached Images

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 04-11-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yup, the last picture in post #20 is my reference picture. I should have my oil fill/breather on the port side and my PCV directly connected to my carb spacer vac connection. Nothing should be connected to the 1/2" connection on my flame arrestor.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by f925 View Post
Yup, the last picture in post #20 is my reference picture. I should have my oil fill/breather on the port side and my PCV directly connected to my carb spacer vac connection. Nothing should be connected to the 1/2" connection on my flame arrestor.
Yep, however the small nipple, 1/4" I believe on the flame arrester should have a hose going to the fuel pump for the fp overflow, I can't tell by your most recent picture if this is the case, but in post 20 it's there.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Where did you get those vinyl samples? That looks like something I am wanting to use in my boat. Thanks.