Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-15-2015, 02:30 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Rolling on Gelcoat using spectrum products - NEED HELP

Need some help here ASAP. My lady is mad we are turning wrenches and getting dirty instead of playing in the water! We need to get the transom done asap!

Like the title says, this will be done on my boat. I will not be doing it, my fiancÚ will due to time constraints and wanting to get back out on the water asap ( im leaving for work for 1.5 weeks).

We have the rear of the transom all done fiberglass wise. Nice and smooth and all cracks and holes are repaired.

So, I want to confirm a few things and ask a few questions. We are rolling on because this will just be easier given the area we are doing. See my restomod thread to see the area.

1. Wipe the area with acetone prior to starting. Everything was sanded smooth with 80 grit to ensure a good mechanical bond.
2. Mix gel and catalyst. Does anyone know the ratios recommended based off temps? And the cure/flash times it leads to?
3. Roll on first coat. I bought cheap foam rollers from the dollar store. No plans to clean anything just throw out and start new.
4. How long do you wait before applying next coat? This is where I am struggling to understand. I thought it was about 20 minutes.
We plan on doing 3-4 coats total to give room for sanding out orange peel.
Final Coat is gel mixed with catalyst mixed with Wax. I know this is where the magic happens due to the wax.

After that sand with 300, then 500, then 1000 and polish/wax. Renistall the exhaust and platform brackets and go to the river!

Please help!

Last edited by Roman; 06-15-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
wait over night for a good cure of the final coat.
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Old 06-15-2015, 03:13 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Wish my Admiral could take on gelcoating. You are a lucky man, pending how good of a job she does, of course.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:51 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Well she just got off the phone with Jeff for spectrum. Apparently she knows exactly what she is doing. Got my fingers crossed but between her being a medical lab tech and a farm girl, I think she will do just fine.