Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Dual Battery Wiring

I have purchased the Blue Sea Add-A-Battery kit and hope to install it this weekend. In figuring out how to wire the switch and relay, I came across two different ways. The only real difference appears to be how the relay is wired in - one way it is wired directly to the switch, the other way it is wired directly to the batteries. I was wondering if it makes any difference and the pros/cons of each method. Below are the two different methods I found. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
That is the same. Your battery doesn't have two red terminals so the red lines on the diagram on the right connect together on the battery. On the left diagram, it shows these sme wires connected, just at the other end by the switch. I'm assuming the square with an "F" means fuse. It's not shown on the left diagram but would go between the switch and the ACR.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
It will only make a difference if you intend to add an on-board charger.

If the ACR is wired to the batteries or to the battery side of the switch, it will combine when the charger is in use. It would need to be wired to the load side of the switch so its isolated from the batteries when the switch is off, which is when the charger would be used.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
drshemel is right. The two diagrams are identical.