Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-30
Run don't walk from that thing!!!!

It's an undertaking to redo a moderately decent boat and turn her into a jewel. That thing is a POS that deserves to stay in the barn. It's possibly of greater value as scrap....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If the prop, shaft and strut are straight and the v drive doesn't have water in it then all you really need is a 350 Chevy engine. Gotta be some 350 s down there?
Of course you're aware of other "small" issues like steering cable and possible elect gremlins but that boat is old enough that it will be serviceable with nothing more than a running drivetrain and some basic wiring.
Given your market there if you can pick it up cheap and can re power it locally you got a diamond in the rough.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
You have any updates FZCR? I'm curious to see if the owner was selling it for a reasonable price. Not that I'm interested... I'm just thinking misery loves company.

I found a suitable motor for my project and pulled the trigger hoping to have it in the boat in a couple weeks, then the real fun will begin...Wiring it all up to make it work.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
46Chief, that's awesome, great to hear. What did you go with?
A couple days ago I found a '98 low hour Mercruiser that might be a good option. Then I had to let the project rest a bit 'cause I just became father of a son!
Today starting to look into it again. We haven't made aan offer yet but I want to do that today or tomorrow. If he doesn't want to let it go for next to nothing all this searching is for nothing.
And then find out which of the 2 posters above you is right; "POS that deserves to stay in the barn" or "diamond in the rough". Probably somewhere in between but I hope (and kind of think) it's leaning towards the positive side.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyZone Costa Rica View Post
46Chief, that's awesome, great to hear. What did you go with?
A couple days ago I found a '98 low hour Mercruiser that might be a good option. Then I had to let the project rest a bit 'cause I just became father of a son!
Today starting to look into it again. We haven't made aan offer yet but I want to do that today or tomorrow. If he doesn't want to let it go for next to nothing all this searching is for nothing.
And then find out which of the 2 posters above you is right; "POS that deserves to stay in the barn" or "diamond in the rough". Probably somewhere in between but I hope (and kind of think) it's leaning towards the positive side.
Congrats on the son!!!!! Good luck on the offer on the boat.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Regular

Thanks! x2

On the day that the (possibly) perfect solution for the engine pops up on this site, our offer got turned down. The owner says it doesn't need a new engine, the current one can easily be fixed. I wonder if he ever took a look under the sundeck...
He said we should check it out together with a mechanic and then negotiate. I don't think we'll come to a deal as it seems he's thinking he has a perfect boat there, but we'll give it a shot.
Hope that engine is still around if/when we can make a deal.

Either way, thanks for all the support everybody!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Bummer he owner is clueless maybe a professional consultation will help your cause
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyZone Costa Rica View Post
Thanks! x2

On the day that the (possibly) perfect solution for the engine pops up on this site, our offer got turned down. The owner says it doesn't need a new engine, the current one can easily be fixed. I wonder if he ever took a look under the sundeck...
He said we should check it out together with a mechanic and then negotiate. I don't think we'll come to a deal as it seems he's thinking he has a perfect boat there, but we'll give it a shot.
Hope that engine is still around if/when we can make a deal.

Either way, thanks for all the support everybody!
Before you commit to that inspection by a mechanic, make sure the owner isn't trying to make you pay half of the cost. if it's a full marine survey, it's not a bad thing to pay half, but that's only if the engine is sound and you're definitely going to buy it.

Have him define 'easily fixed'- is that "easily brought back to new-ish condition" or "easy to get it to run a few times"?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
TT Regular

Good advice JimN, thanks.
I'll try to make it there this weekend, so hope to have more news soon.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X Star
Still need parts for the boat? i just bought a 2001 X Star from a salvage site. It was stolen and had parts stripped off. But i think the engine and tranny are fine, just have to hook up the wiring which was all cut. Not sure yet weather i want to fix it or part it out but i should know hopefully in a week if the powertrain is good. Possible silver lining for the both of us.