Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
So with limited options ( almost none) I'm not so sure this is a bad project. The interior looks like it is in good useable shape. When looking at the photos in the link, it looks like all the parts are there. I realize parts here in the us are much easier to find.

This question is for JimN and other smart marine engine people. This boat is basically a small block Chevy. Is there some reason that you could just not get a donor motor and use the existing marine parts? Heck, I would think you could get a junk yard motor out of an old wrecked gm car of the era and build it up. That would help maintain the FI and resale value. How many late 90s caprice, road masters and caddy's are in junk yards there? Maybe even ship one in from the us. Couple that with some skidim risers and other parts...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
So with limited options ( almost none) I'm not so sure this is a bad project. The interior looks like it is in good useable shape. When looking at the photos in the link, it looks like all the parts are there. I realize parts here in the us are much easier to find.

This question is for JimN and other smart marine engine people. This boat is basically a small block Chevy. Is there some reason that you could just not get a donor motor and use the existing marine parts? Heck, I would think you could get a junk yard motor out of an old wrecked gm car of the era and build it up. That would help maintain the FI and resale value. How many late 90s caprice, road masters and caddy's are in junk yards there? Maybe even ship one in from the us. Couple that with some skidim risers and other parts...
The heads and/or block will have a casting number, somewhere. This is usually in hte area of the valves, between two of them and on the block, it's usually on the rear, in the area covered by the housing for the flywheel. If you call Jasper, they'll tell you where to look. I would call them just to get a price AND information on what would work best. If you can find an engine with the same build, it will work in this boat. The exhaust manifolds are definitely toast, but all of the sensors, the throttle body, ECM (as long as it wasn't damaged in the time since it was OK) and all other accessories should be fine.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post

Hi, thanks. I'm thinking the same thing. Interior, trailer, hull, actually everything apart from the engine is in really good shape. Risers and block are shot, but most external parts seemed to be in good shape too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The heads and/or block will have a casting number, somewhere. This is usually in hte area of the valves, between two of them and on the block, it's usually on the rear, in the area covered by the housing for the flywheel. If you call Jasper, they'll tell you where to look. I would call them just to get a price AND information on what would work best. If you can find an engine with the same build, it will work in this boat. The exhaust manifolds are definitely toast, but all of the sensors, the throttle body, ECM (as long as it wasn't damaged in the time since it was OK) and all other accessories should be fine.
I sent Jasper an email 2 days ago. I will need to get back to the boat again to check more thoroughly how all the other parts look. And if there's a way to check the transmission (without pulling the engine), to find out in what shape that is.

Thanks for your input everybody!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
One of the problems I have run into is sourcing an intake manifold. If the boat was ran in saltwater at all, the intake manifold will be corroded and unusable. Indmar has not provided me with a definitive yes or no wether or not I can buy a new intake. w/o the manifold the fuel injection system is useless.

Another problem I have ran into is the transmission. Mine is frozen to my engine and no amount of coaxing has been able to free it. including daily application of rust penetrant, and several wooden wedges driven between the bellhousing and engine block. My motor mounts are also in extremely poor condition, I am not sure if can reuse them either.

In your negotiations on price You would be wise to include a transmission. driveshaft and coupler in your estimate to return it to service.

I would also test the throttle and steering feel most like they will need to have the cables replaced.

How much is your 2001 worth in Costs Rica? I would be tempted to pull the drivetrain from that and put it in the xstar, just to try it out, until you find a suitable repower for it.

I'm thinking a closed cooling system is a must
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
TT Regular

Thanks again for the input.
It crossed my mind to use the engine from my boat, but I need that boat for my wakeboard school. My boat is also smaller and lighter, I don't think 240hp (or whatever is left of it after 27 years) is enough for the X-Star. It could be a temporary fix, but to go through all that hassle twice... Intake manifold is indeed junk, I find it incredibly strange that Indmar can or will not supply you with a new one.
I won't use the boat on the ocean, I'm very pleased to live close to a fantastic and nearly boat-less lake.
Think we'll contact the owner early next week to see how little he's willing to take for the boat.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
You need to get that boat for zilch and then restore it. Long term investment. Or buy one and import it for your school and still restore this Star and sell it for profit. Clearly little to no market in costa rica for wakeboard boats if there are only two there.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
One thing that has kept me from listing my project for sale is I have friends with blasting equipment, so I can clean my parts relatively easy. I think I wouldn't tackle refurbing that boat w/o access to a good hot tank for soaking parts and a glass bead machine.

I'd consider that project if it were only a few thousand and there was no glass damage.

Keep us up to date and maybe spam us with some pics and info from your ski school... I've always wanted to visit CR for a surf camp vacation
Old 03-31-2013, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: current 02 X7 / 197, past 98 PS 190
here is another good condition engine. borrowed the links from 46Chief Prostar 209 thread

2005 5.7 L Indmar Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission for $3000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130878521909?

and more used engines
http://affordablemarinesd.com/stor/engines-for-sale/
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
One thing that has kept me from listing my project for sale is I have friends with blasting equipment, so I can clean my parts relatively easy. I think I wouldn't tackle refurbing that boat w/o access to a good hot tank for soaking parts and a glass bead machine.

I'd consider that project if it were only a few thousand and there was no glass damage.

Keep us up to date and maybe spam us with some pics and info from your ski school... I've always wanted to visit CR for a surf camp vacation
I'm now indeed thinking we'll grab it if we can get it for about what the trailer and tower are worth. If the seller wants more, we'll need to thoroughly check it out and calculate all costs, and see if it's worth it.

Whenever you have a chance to come down here do it! You won't regret it, CR is a great place to spend some time. And surf of course. Here's my website www.flyzone-cr.com. I'll throw some pics up later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijwr View Post
here is another good condition engine. borrowed the links from 46Chief Prostar 209 thread

2005 5.7 L Indmar Engine with ZF Hurth Transmission for $3000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130878521909?

and more used engines
http://affordablemarinesd.com/stor/engines-for-sale/
Thanks! I already contacted both. Still waiting for a reply from the 2nd link, and have been in touch with the seller of the 2005 engine. Looks like an excellent option, now need to try to work out details with the other guys with whom I'd buy the boat, and try to get the boat before this engine is gone.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Oh we can find parts
I just want more pics of the running gear and drivetrain. Especially any tags on the v drive etc. as I've been seeing some cheap lately, so cheap I almost bought a spare I didn't need. Hope it works out, just to echo it better be cheap.