Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyZone Costa Rica View Post
Que?



Thanks, that's some good info. Looking at your thread, that looks awfully familiar.

For now I'm just trying to gather some info to see if it's feasible to bring back to life. Like someone posted, options are VERY limited here. Plus keep in mind that boats are about 30% more expensive here than in the US, plus labour is much cheaper, so it might be worth it.

If anyone can give an answer to my initial questions that would help a lot:
- how much is a new engine, and where can I find one?
- it has 310hp. Was 330 an option in 2001? What's the difference between these engines?
- which steering cable should it have (it's missing)?
- it's missing some smaller items (battery, some cup holders, mirror, nav light on bow, ignition switch, hydraulic springs (if that's what they're called, to keep the engine covers open). Do your trained eyes see anything else, anything major that's missing or needs attention?

Another one: what are some of your favorite online sources for parts etc?
The 330HP engine in 2001 was called LTR, but the calibration is very different from the TBI. However, you could have it recalibrated by sending the ECM to Indmar or MasterCraft. You would need the new engine to be extremely similar to the LTR, with the same throttle body, intake manifold, plenum, MAP/Throttle Position sensors, etc. If you really don't need the extra 20 HP and hassle, the TBI is still a very good engine. Not as sexy, but a good engine. You could also check Jasper for a replacement- they would need some information from the existing engine, but they do sell internationally. Here's a link-

http://www.jasperengines.com/contact.php

All of the engines I used that came from Jasper were excellent- ran great and I never saw any problems. Their warranty is better than most, too. It's too bad the GM Performance Parts engines aren't warrantied for marine use- the 350 Ramjet would be a killer.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
The 330HP engine in 2001 was called LTR, but the calibration is very different from the TBI. However, you could have it recalibrated by sending the ECM to Indmar or MasterCraft. You would need the new engine to be extremely similar to the LTR, with the same throttle body, intake manifold, plenum, MAP/Throttle Position sensors, etc. If you really don't need the extra 20 HP and hassle, the TBI is still a very good engine. Not as sexy, but a good engine. You could also check Jasper for a replacement- they would need some information from the existing engine, but they do sell internationally. Here's a link-

http://www.jasperengines.com/contact.php

All of the engines I used that came from Jasper were excellent- ran great and I never saw any problems. Their warranty is better than most, too. It's too bad the GM Performance Parts engines aren't warrantied for marine use- the 350 Ramjet would be a killer.
Having sold Jasper engines and powertrain products, I can confirm what Jim says about their quality. Definitely on top of the quality level of remanufactured engines. Their facilities are amazingly clean and their employees are treated and paid very well so as to keep them for the long haul. It isn't unusual to find people there for 20-30 years. They really stand behind their warranty, though I'm not certain how that would pertain to products in Costa Rica. Never the cheapest, but always the quality you expect.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
FlyZone Costa Rica FlyZone Costa Rica is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 33
Thanks for all the info and links. Skidim is where I usually shop, but it might come handy to have some MC-specific sites.
I'll send Jasper an email right away.
20HP extra might be nice, but it's not worth a lot of hassle. I'll just make sure I have the right prop.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Having sold Jasper engines and powertrain products, I can confirm what Jim says about their quality. Definitely on top of the quality level of remanufactured engines. Their facilities are amazingly clean and their employees are treated and paid very well so as to keep them for the long haul. It isn't unusual to find people there for 20-30 years. They really stand behind their warranty, though I'm not certain how that would pertain to products in Costa Rica. Never the cheapest, but always the quality you expect.
I took the tour in '99 and was impressed by the plant. They were just getting into re-manufacture of out-drives and marine transmissions at that time and I ordered a few lower units- well done, like the engines. I wasn't too geeked up about the "engine fire" warning buzzer that started going off about the same time we reached 10,000' on the flight down there, but the pilot was in the Air National Guard at the time, flying Apache helicopters, so I wasn't too worried if he wasn't worried.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I took the tour in '99 and was impressed by the plant. They were just getting into re-manufacture of out-drives and marine transmissions at that time and I ordered a few lower units- well done, like the engines. I wasn't too geeked up about the "engine fire" warning buzzer that started going off about the same time we reached 10,000' on the flight down there, but the pilot was in the Air National Guard at the time, flying Apache helicopters, so I wasn't too worried if he wasn't worried.
That is an extreme level of going with the flow.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
46Chief 46Chief is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Location: MidAtlantic
Posts: 288
As I am finding, with my project, it is close to impossible to find a bolt in replacement that has everything you'll need. The fuel injection is no longer made and there is no replacement parts. That boat will need everything under the hood that's gonna cost you $10,000.00

Indmar sent me to EDM they told me 8500 for a motor but ill have to build a harness or bring it to them in Virginia
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM
CruisinGA's Avatar
CruisinGA CruisinGA is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
As I am finding, with my project, it is close to impossible to find a bolt in replacement that has everything you'll need. The fuel injection is no longer made and there is no replacement parts. That boat will need everything under the hood that's gonna cost you $10,000.00

Indmar sent me to EDM they told me 8500 for a motor but ill have to build a harness or bring it to them in Virginia
Need to find a wrecked boat!

Might be hard to do though
__________________
Bailey
'02 X-9
Lake Blue Ridge
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 15,164
If this were my project, I would be considering throwing in a basic carb and distributor engine. That is the only way I could see this being operational with a reasonable price-tag. Not going to do much for resale, but it would get this boat on the water.
__________________
Peter

SPECIAL PRICE
ST205/75R15 KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125 EACH


Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If this were my project, I would be considering throwing in a basic carb and distributor engine. That is the only way I could see this being operational with a reasonable price-tag. Not going to do much for resale, but it would get this boat on the water.
X2. Even then....engine, trans, steering cable, manifolds, etc. would add up to $10K pretty fast. Then again, if you can buy it for under $3K you could have a working wakeboard boat for under $15K.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
FlyZone Costa Rica FlyZone Costa Rica is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 1985 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 33
Thanks again for all the info.
Finding a wrecked boat with a good engine would be the perfect solution. But indeed what are the odds of finding one..?
This Mercruiser option that was posted http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercru...nt-p-3188.html might actually be one of the best options, since Mercruiser does have a dealer in CR. Indmar, PCM, Mastercraft, or anything else inboard-related do not. But still, $8K +shipping+import duties... That's a lot!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.