Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Prostar 190 - New System

Hey guys, so I finally picked up the long awaited system for my '91 prostar - 4 clarion 6.5" 2 way speakers, clarion head unit, sub/amp wiring, and marine amp and sub to come.
My questions are:

-Are there any tricks to installing such a system in my boat? It currently does not have any holes cut in the upholstery for speakers, but holes are cut in the backing from factory in the 4corners.
-Where to mount the headunit. It has two components, one is the actual brains of the stereo, and then a smaller unit (satelitte radio size) that you can mount where ever.
-Spare battery with battery switch, is it required? Sub and amp will not be installed right away, so i may have time to think about that
-Any other info before i get rolling on this. I hope to start in the next couple weeks to get it ready for the season

Your input is appreciated, Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I believe you can cut the vinyl without too much trouble. Just make an X for starters. Some rings beneath the vinyl (cutting them in half makes for an easier install will be helpful. Not sure about the rest, but if there is some ventilation under the helm, closed bows can be lots of fun for subs.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Holes should already be cut in the side pads. Just feel around the trim the vinyl once you find them. There are also some PVC pieces epoxied up under the side rail to run wires through.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Sounds like you bought a CMS1 Head Unit. I put one in my 88 PS200 with 4 Polk db Series speakers and pleased with the sound. Looking to expand my system with an amp and sub (CMS1 does have only one pair of Line Out RCAs and is on the rear channel).

Mounted my head unit flat up under the dash below the instrument pod with stainless machine screws - heads on top side of dash (FYI - my dash is like the S&S Dash so the screws aren't in plain view).

Mounted the Remote Unit directly to the control panel to the left of the steering wheel (multiple mounting options for the remote unit).
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
Sounds like you bought a CMS1 Head Unit. I put one in my 88 PS200 with 4 Polk db Series speakers and pleased with the sound. Looking to expand my system with an amp and sub (CMS1 does have only one pair of Line Out RCAs and is on the rear channel).

Mounted my head unit flat up under the dash below the instrument pod with stainless machine screws - heads on top side of dash (FYI - my dash is like the S&S Dash so the screws aren't in plain view).

Mounted the Remote Unit directly to the control panel to the left of the steering wheel (multiple mounting options for the remote unit).
Sounds good thanks, do you happen to have any pictures of where you mounted the Remote Unit? Did yours fasten with screws through the dashpanel, or how was it mounted?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbarber1989 View Post
Sounds good thanks, do you happen to have any pictures of where you mounted the Remote Unit? Did yours fasten with screws through the dashpanel, or how was it mounted?
Screws through the dash panel on mine. I'll try to post a pic of it (different dash than yours but will show how it mounts up to a flat surface).
Old 04-18-2013, 12:51 PM
TT Newbie

Does anybody have any pics of head unit mounting? Also, the speakers I picked up are just the 6.5" one way with the separate 1" tweeter that is on a angled casing. Which way should the tweeter be facing to create the best sound?

Sorry my description is not the best, but here's what I've got:
http://www.clarion.com/ca/en/product...568011528.html

Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

I cut my dash out with a dremel (VERY SLOWLY) - if you need to do that - I screwed (using SMALL wood screw) a backing strip to the underside of the dash then to the back of the head unit to secure the rear of the head unit since it will be "floating" without this - just MAKE SURE you don't have a screw that will come through the dash!! I agree with East TX - cut "X"'s carefully, not going all the way to the outside of the speaker plywood cutout - that way the cut will not "creep" out from behind the speaker housing. You can likely carefully remove some of the cotten fiber filling then, so that the speaker will enter the hole better and snug up better (filling directly in the areas where you cut the "x"s) There are PVC wire holders molded in up under the gunalls, use that for your speaker wire. Use the existing wiring harness carrying all the wiring down from the dash to the bilge for your negative/positive wiring - the other speaker wire you can route and cable tie off to get where it needs to go. When you are screwing the speakers into the vinyl, I would go very slow - you don't want the threads to grab the vinyl, spinning it quickly and tearing it. You will see what I mean - use SHARP screws for this - perhaps drywall even to start, then go back to a chrome screw for finish. I mounted my amp on a piece of Lexan (it's the white cutting board material that kitchen cutting boards are made from) - you can buy a large cutting board, cut it down to any size you want, and it holds the screws very nicely - no chance of rot of course. I secured that to the floor, well up under the dash (well up under for water sake) - the thicker the board, the more it will keep amp off the floor - on that model, I didn't to screw it to the side of the boat - no other partitions to use - if using a sub box, I have heard NOT to mount the amp on it - too much excess vibration. I think that's about it - just go slow at every step.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
TT Newbie

Has anyone installed a second battery or just run off the one? I'm sure without an amp I should be fine, but in the future there will be a larger power requirement with amps etc. and I am kind of worried about running dead while floating or whatever.
If I do need one, best place to mount is under the bow at the front or under the seat with the other?

Thanks again
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Here's a couple pics of my CMS-1 Controller. (The clock was already there when I bought the boat. With my MCOCD I would have located it better)
Attached Images