Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
I hear '86 in Canada and I immediately think of my old boat! Sold it to a family in 2003 who drove 20+ hours to buy it from me. I believe they have it in Manitoba. Blue rainbow stripe on a white hull.

I would barefoot quite a bit off my '86. I use a Beeman's boom which is about 1/3 the weight of a BI boom. I also drilled it so it went out the driver side. The contoured boom fit right around the driver's seat. Makes it easier to talk with the driver, and easier for the driver to see you if/when learning back deeps.

When the skier is up, most of the weight is just a pull from the cable attached to the bow. Shouldn't be much direct downward force on the gunnel unless you have someone supporting their weight on the boom itself.

You should have button snaps on the side panel near where the boom crosses the gunnel. I have seen some people machine a small aluminum knob, and replace the normal snap with the machined knob. They then strap the boom to the knob when in use. This keeps the boom on the gunnel, as oposed to bouncing up and down on the gunnel from waves, or hard crashes.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineLakeRumble View Post
I'm officially a fool. Only excited newbees set up a boom on a trailer. Bound to be some flex when the boat can't role as it would in the water. That's the latest thought anyway.
When I got my boom I set it up in the driveway. Does your boom have a pad on it?
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Great to hear from you kyfooter,

As crazy as the long journey from Toronto to Florida was it certainly adds to the boat's mystique. My 9yr. old son was so excited that when I arrived home he was outside in the dark in his socks and pj's waving a flashlight...in the snow! Good times. I'll try and get some pictures taken Easter weekend and throw a thread together for all the MC owners that have driven a long way for their boats. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hey DemolitionMan,

It has a pad, height adjuster, and the kids handle extension. Apologies in advance for the vanity engine shot. It's the only pic I have on the computer that shows the boom
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Quote:
Hey DemolitionMan,

It has a pad, height adjuster, and the kids handle extension. Apologies in advance for the vanity engine shot. It's the only pic I have on the computer that shows the boom
ok lets see some photos of this boat!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Covi,

I haven't got many pics at the moment. Here is a link to a video that was shot by my co-driver when I picked up the boat last week from Bay Area Watersports. Jim@Baws was kind enough to store the boat for me (as well as do the inspection, set up the trailer, etc.) until I was able to pick it up. Thanks again for all your help Jim. I wouldn't have gone forward with this venture without your help. Your staff were amazing and the service was fantastic.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0gm...akE/edit?pli=1

Driver is Jim, 3 guesses on the grinning fool...

Cheers
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
Awesome! Way to go Jim!

Quote:
Hey Covi,

I haven't got many pics at the moment. Here is a link to a video that was shot by my co-driver when I picked up the boat last week from Bay Area Watersports. Jim@Baws was kind enough to store the boat for me (as well as do the inspection, set up the trailer, etc.) until I was able to pick it up. Thanks again for all your help Jim. I wouldn't have gone forward with this venture without your help. Your staff were amazing and the service was fantastic.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0gm...akE/edit?pli=1

Driver is Jim, 3 guesses on the grinning fool...

Cheers