Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Cold Air Intake

My son brought this up to me... Cold air intake... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-99182

would this do anything to the 350 TBI as an improvement? help me look good in front of this kid.. ... did some searches could not find anything here on the forum...
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
My son brought this up to me... Cold air intake... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-99182

would this do anything to the 350 TBI as an improvement? help me look good in front of this kid.. ... did some searches could not find anything here on the forum...
That specific kit will not help out a 350 tbi, it's made for 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2...

Are you looking to modify a chevy truck? You could just to flip the lid on the air cleaner and voila cheap cold air kit.
Attached Images

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Aren't our engines intakes already set up like this?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Your boat probably has just a flame arrestor on it, so it already flows more air than any air filter you bolt on to it.

It probably won't, they don't even do much for the cars they are spec'ing them for. It will help you gain some on a motor that you have ported the heads and intake, increased the injector size, increased the compression, and changed the cam profile. For a normally aspirated stock engine it's a waste of money.

In the case of my car they are worse than stock.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I always understood a cold air intake to be a means of getting cool air to the intake instead of air that has been through the radiator (and possibly a/c condenser coil & aux transmission cooler). Cool air is denser and has the effect of more oxygen per cubic foot of air. A hood scoop that is sealed to the air cleaner housing would be an example of a cold air intake. Most cars have the air intake plumbed to a fender well or behind a headlight to get cool air.

Our boats don't have radiators obviously, so the air being sucked in via the vent hoses shouldn't be too hot. I have seen a motor box scoop on eBay or somewhere, but I doubt it would change performance much. Propping the motor box open a couple of inches would have the same effect.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Your boat also has bow vents of some variety, and stern vents, bet it gets cross flow.

If anything I think the slick thing would be an intercooler, you already pump nice cool lake water through the engine, bet thats cooler than the air most of the year no matter where you live.

A liquid cooled intercooler to your intake would be wicked.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

I had a '91 Chevy short bed reg cab. I put a throttle body spacer in it. That helped out a LOT. I also added a K&N filter and a superchips chip. You remove the cover to the ECM and plug the chip in and put the cover back on. Extremely easy. I could do a real nice burn out afterwards.

That added lots of cheap costing but very good power.

I upgraded a few years later to a '94 Chevy ext cab with 6" lift and over sized tires. I did the same exact mods to engine and added a set of gears to it. That truck was almost as fast and could boil the tires.

The upside down air cleaner won't do a darn thing for you. James is pulling your leg lol but I will admit I ran my air cleaner upside down but with a K&N filter. (Water will collect on the upside down dish when washing the engine or going mudding and the filter gets dirty fast)

The chip obviously works but the throttle body spacer itemizes the air fuel better. It is very well worth it. I can't say enough about the combo upgrade. It is very good bang for your buck without adding heads, cam, big boy expensive mods.

The spacer kind of compares to this analogy. Take a nitrous kit and install it on a TBI system through the air intake tube. If you put it close to the tbody it will work. Move it back 6"-8" away and that spray will romp the heck out of the system. It has more time to itemize. I had to repair many of DIY systems that came back into the shop bc the system did not work. All I did was move the nozzle away from the tbody.

The spiral cut in the tbody spacer spins the air and fuel so you get not only a better mix but more air. The engine is an air pump. More air is more power.

All I can say is if you spent the cash for a cold air kit vs a chip and spacer then don't expect a big gain. If you dyno by the seat of the pants then spacer and chip will be night and day. The cold air is the last item I would add. Not real noticeable.

Chip and spacer also helped gas mileage too. Although I gave it all back bc my foot got real heavy.

Chip prolly $100-$150

Spacer prolly $50 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....

Last edited by Kyle; 03-24-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Don't forget the Air Tornado.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Don't forget the Air Tornado.

great stuff....

thanks...
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Boat: 06 X30
The Air Tornados are complete garbage. In fact, in most cases they did more harm then good. IE you were better off not having it and by installing it it just made worse power and MPGs.

I have heard good things about TBI spacers. Keep in mind you might have to bend or extend your fuel lines.

One other thing that really helps is bumping up the fuel pressure to around 11 or 12 lbs.

As far as chips go, I'm always suspect of plugin chips. I've heard too many times that when compared to the factory chip they really don't change much of anything. Other then very slight timing changes they seem to not do much. I'm not saying a timing change wont make a difference. Comparing the bin files will tell you a ton and for about the same price of a chip you can get a MOTAS burner and do your own.

In some case they do allow converter lock up and shift point changes. They can also, on some vehicles, correct tire size changes to fix speedo readings.