Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
New Headunit Options

We are in need of a new headunit for the X30. It currently has an older model Clarion that had the flip-over, clear cover, if that helps identify it. We want something with ample outputs(we have 2 amps), iphone charging capable, and streaming bluetooth would be nice. Not really wanting to break the bank with the purchse(still need new tower speakers, cabin speakers, and powdercoat for the tower). Thanks for any input.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
1.0 DIN or 1.5 DIN chassis?

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Single DIN
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
I recently installed the M309 Clarion unit... Has all that I need for gadgets. I am not sure if you're looking for more than 1 preamp out, etc.... I use mine for CDs and FM with one small external amp for four cabin speakers.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
MC Fanatic

I don't see that it can charge the iphone since it runs it through the aux input instead of an actual usb port. And I think I really need 2 preamp outs.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
I just picked up a Sony CDX-M60UI marine head unit. Comes with aux input, cd, usb connection, and AM/FM. I have yet to test it, but for 130 bucks on ebay... it was hard to pass up
Old 03-26-2013, 04:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I just ordered a Clarion CMS1 to replace an older CMD4. This is a mech-less unit (no CD player) and won't even go in the DIN space--it's basically a black box containing the amp and circuitry, connected to a wired remote with an LCD display. I went this route because (a) I don't need CD i the boat, and (b) wanted an "intelligent" display at the driver's seat, which would also control iPod's native functions. Will allow for a transom mounted remote which I'll add at a later date. At $175 shipped, a good deal IMHO.

Only has one (1) line level output though. Right now, I have a sub amp that will allow me to connect via the speaker lines so I can reserve the line level output for a future separate amp when I go that route. At any rate, I'll be installing next week and I'll post updates on anything I learn of value at that time.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
I just ordered a Clarion CMS1 to replace an older CMD4. This is a mech-less unit (no CD player) and won't even go in the DIN space--it's basically a black box containing the amp and circuitry, connected to a wired remote with an LCD display. I went this route because (a) I don't need CD i the boat, and (b) wanted an "intelligent" display at the driver's seat, which would also control iPod's native functions. Will allow for a transom mounted remote which I'll add at a later date. At $175 shipped, a good deal IMHO.

Only has one (1) line level output though. Right now, I have a sub amp that will allow me to connect via the speaker lines so I can reserve the line level output for a future separate amp when I go that route. At any rate, I'll be installing next week and I'll post updates on anything I learn of value at that time.
I'm interested in seeing this setup.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post

That sounds pretty sweet. Also most sub amps have line level pass thrus so you can run your inputs to the sub and then straight through to a full range amp. That's how my sub and cockpit skpr amps are setup, off the "front" pre amp outs. Tower speakers off the "rear" outputs so I can fade from in boat to tower.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I also had to purchase a special iPod interface cable and bought a "generic" for $20 vs. the branded unit for $60. Let's hope it works. All should arrive on Friday and get installed next week while my wife and kids are away visiting grandma.