Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2008, 12:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-45 on order
Saltwater Series losing antifreeze

I've got about 70 hours on my 8.1L X45 saltwater series, but we've had to refill the antifreeze overflow tank about 4 times.

The first couple of times, the dealer said there might be an air bubble, but even 'bled' the system with the bolt up by the filler, and we still ran out of antifreeze again.

I'm worried that there's a dry spot in the engine, and that this isn't good, but the dealer is not sure how to find the leak.

I have the hot/cold shower, heater (although I think its electric), and I've watched the engine but can't see the leak.

I looked into getting a dye, but it turns out that the Sierra antifreeze already is luminescent. I used a UV light this evening, and the green Sierra glows yellow in UV. But I only saw yellow where I'd expect, like right below the filler, and a little at the overflow tank.

We also checked the oil, but its fine.

Any idea how to find the leak? I spent alot of money on this boat and engine, I really don't enjoy that it keeps leaking antifreeze somewhere, with the dealer and MC having no idea how to find the leak.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
I know that you may already have done this but have you looked in your manual to see if it says anything?

Tom
Old 08-23-2008, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Indmar manual says to check the level when you check your oil. And if reservoir is totlaly empty, which its been twice, take it to the dealer for a purge, which I've also done twice. Still losing coolant and it is not leaking into the engine compartment.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1988, Ford 351 240hp
Im sorry that i won't be of much help. I have an old ford 351. i suggested the manual since sometimes people skip over the basics. hopefully you will get this fixed so you get back out on the water.

Tom
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
If you can't find where its going consider the heat exchanger. It could be dumping antifreeze into the water through the exchanger.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Have you tried pressure testing the system while it's on the trailer?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

They pressure tested the system while it was in the water, cold. It checked out ok, but said they couldn't check it while it was hot. Now they're considering that. Its used thecontentsof 4 overflowtanks over 70 hours of usage, so not the easiest thing to find, but do you agree that I should be concerned? I know its organic, but this is not really a consumable item, and I'm worried that its going somewhere it shouldn't that will eventually harm the engine, or harm the engine by lack of it being where it should be whenI start the boat, etc.

thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
I would definitely be concerned. I don't know which is worse...............Harm to the environment or harm to your wallet. The leak needs to be found to prevent future damage to either one.................

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-45
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. A friend that bought my 08 X-45 with 60 hours just had the same issue. The head gasket was leaking coolant into the cylinder. A new engine is on it's way.....

Same thing. Was loosing coolant and engine was running fine. After a while it was loosing more coolant and temp went above 160.

We had to open up the engine and the dealer found that the gasket had a corner chopped off and therefore the coolant was getting into the engine.

Good luck !

btw: was your engine recalibrated with the new software ? there's a service bulletin out for the 450hp Indmar package.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Interesting. The boat also has a very rough idle, since day 1. I was told it was because its an 8.1L, and needed break-in, but maybe its because of fluid in the cylinder. I in fact just asked the dealer if there's a way to turn up the idle rpm's, because its so rough, the whole boat really shakes. And the software was upgraded in the engine. And also, if you go from driving to neutral quickly, the engine stalls. The engine does high rpm's fine, but at low rpm's, its really rough. So rough, I added pads to the bow door because that's where most of the rattling noise came from, but its a heavy vibration. And after the software upgrade, the computer couldn't keep the engine at 1500 rpm's in neutral gear, it would seek down to 1000 and back to 1500 constantly, but then that problem subsided and is just a smaller swing of rpm's if you try to leave it idling at 1000-1500 rpms.

Maybe this all really does point to a leak in a cylinder, since its NOT JUST an issue of losing coolant, but some strange engine performance at the low rpm's as well.

At about 73 hours now, if its in the cylinder, new engine only way to go?

Last edited by johkur; 08-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.