Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I think that boat is the same as the 2011 Photoshoot boat. Or it is the 2011 photoshoot boat.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/getmetaf...oStar-197.aspx
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Agree with the scratches on black. It does look good though. Another thing about colors below the water line is that they tend to blister easier than white. Certain colors are worse than others. If you don't leave your boat in the water for an extended amount of time, you may never have that problem.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
That's a nice looking boat. Not sure how it will hold up cosmetically over time, but looks nice to be sure.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Agree with the scratches on black. It does look good though. Another thing about colors below the water line is that they tend to blister easier than white. Certain colors are worse than others. If you don't leave your boat in the water for an extended amount of time, you may never have that problem.
Interesting, Never heard that. What is the reasoning behind it?
No matter to me, mine will be stored for the next 2 years and only get's it's bottom wet a dozen times a year anyway, unfortunatley.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Thats a new one... got an explanation or any proof? Doesnt make sense to me, as all gel colors use the same (opaque, usually white) base, and have a minimal amount of tint added. Whites usually have some tint in them too.

Ive yet to find any rhyme or reason why some boats blister and others dont. Bad mix or improper cure are my best guesses, but it can be really hard to predict. Improper care (extended water storage) usually seems to speed the process but wont always cause it. There are at least 4 colored hulls in my immediate family and none of them have blisters. One of the white hulls, on the other hand... covered. The '69 with mahogany gel was left in the water most its life and developed a good amount of cracking below the waterline, but the other colored hulls (ranging from '70 to '09) have fared really well.

I think the black bottomed hull is a nice touch- different! I like the blue bottomed 197 that PT just bought even better though.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
MC Fanatic

My proof lies at Correct Craft. I took several actual hull samples and boil and blister tested several of the different colors, some from newer hulls and some from past years. The newer resins are vinyl ester and are a higher quality than that of old. I am not sure why the different colors act any differently, but I did several tests. Storing in the water, or osmotic blistering is worse in fresh water, but also depends on other factors like temperature and time in the water. It can also result from trapped gases, contamination, or sloppy layup. Gelcoat, no matter the color is porous which allows water to enter in, creating the blisters. I can't remember which colors were the worst, but it is indeed true. I verified my findings with the resin supplier. I think I still have some pics somewhere. I will see if I can dig them up.

I also did testing on gelcoat with a barrier coat on the back and they tested much better than that without. It also gave the gelcoat a better finish when pulling straight from the mold, but adds to the overall expense. But we found that it took away some of the final finishing, which basically paid for itself. We made a few boats for testing purposes with the barrier coat, but I don't think CC ever ended up using it.

What made me angry about the testing is that one of the guys bought one of the boats I drilled holes in the bottom of for about $5k, fixed everything and sold it for $25k. It was a 2005 Super air 210, I believe. I would have loved to have gotten that boat for the same price, but oh well. It did need a new interior as well.

Sorry for the thread jack. That boat still looks killer.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Fanatic

My proof lies at Correct Craft. I took several actual hull samples and boil and blister tested several of the different colors, some from newer hulls and some from past years. The newer resins are vinyl ester and are a higher quality than that of old. I am not sure why the different colors act any differently, but I did several tests. Storing in the water, or osmotic blistering is worse in fresh water, but also depends on other factors like temperature and time in the water. It can also result from trapped gases, contamination, or sloppy layup. Gelcoat, no matter the color is porous which allows water to enter in, creating the blisters. I can't remember which colors were the worst, but it is indeed true. I verified my findings with the resin supplier. I think I still have some pics somewhere. I will see if I can dig them up.

I also did testing on gelcoat with a barrier coat on the back and they tested much better than that without. It also gave the gelcoat a better finish when pulling straight from the mold, but adds to the overall expense. But we found that it took away some of the final finishing, which basically paid for itself. We made a few boats for testing purposes with the barrier coat, but I don't think CC ever ended up using it.

What made me angry about the testing is that one of the guys bought one of the boats I drilled holes in the bottom of for about $5k, fixed everything and sold it for $25k. It was a 2005 Super air 210, I believe. I would have loved to have gotten that boat for the same price, but oh well. It did need a new interior as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
Thats a new one... got an explanation or any proof? Doesnt make sense to me, as all gel colors use the same (opaque, usually white) base, and have a minimal amount of tint added. Whites usually have some tint in them too.

Ive yet to find any rhyme or reason why some boats blister and others dont. Bad mix or improper cure are my best guesses, but it can be really hard to predict. Improper care (extended water storage) usually seems to speed the process but wont always cause it. There are at least 4 colored hulls in my immediate family and none of them have blisters. One of the white hulls, on the other hand... covered. The '69 with mahogany gel was left in the water most its life and developed a good amount of cracking below the waterline, but the other colored hulls (ranging from '70 to '09) have fared really well.

I think the black bottomed hull is a nice touch- different! I like the blue bottomed 197 that PT just bought even better though.

Thanks bud! Me too!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I think that boat is the same as the 2011 Photoshoot boat. Or it is the 2011 photoshoot boat.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/getmetaf...oStar-197.aspx
I love the silver and red, Lee sold this one a few months ago. I thought it was the same boat at first.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Love the look and the lines. Absolute beauty.

Black hulls will show bunk scuffs and grime much easier than white. No matter what you do the scuffs will eventually show. Dirt n grime always get imbedded in there and find their way to etch the hull.

But again that boat is classy n sexy all the way