Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
TT Newbie

Talking 2007 Mastercraft PROSTAR 190 vs 2007 Malibu Response

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I would like your opinion on the subject matter. I am planning to buy a used boat and found two prospects but can not decide on certain issues. i know that since this is Mastercraft owners page everyone would be most probably telling me to go with the MC.

I do slalom and trick, I am also interested in the Wake surfing. I know that the MC PS190 has a very good wake for slalom, can you share your experience about the trick table? Also I realise that there are no systems like wedge or surfgate to make wake bigger. In MC is this achieved only by ballasts? is ballast necessary for the trick skiing?

Finally The engine has 1100 hours on it, said to be regularly serviced. The compression tests and etc. will be done to check the condition, however do your think it is to much ?

Any pros, cons compared to Malibu response of same age.

Thank you
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
190 is a great boat for slalom and trick. Can't think of any reason why you would want ballasts in the boat though for trick skiing.

Neither is going to do what you want though for surfing. They just weren't designed to through huge wakes.

I think many here are going to argue the MC is a more solid boat all around, in terms of materials used and finish. Engines are going to be similar I believe from 2007.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Trick question? Both very nice for ski... wake surf not so much.... but adequate to get started. MC all the way...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
is the response an LX with an open bow? might be better for an extra person even though the bow area is pretty small. I'd pick the cleanest best taken care one, if they are in the same price range.

You might search for a Prostar 205 for the all around boat with a better potential surf wake
Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
TT Newbie

chief, it is not an open bow.

unfortunately these are the 2 available right now
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
Both will slalom really well, the 190 will have a nicer trick wake. The wedge helps a bit with the wake but it's not enough for a decent wakeboard wake. We always ran fat sacs in the Response and left the wedge up as the wake has a better shape with weight.

Surfing behind either is a bit of a challange. I never surfed the Response but in a 190 you will need about 1000lbs to get a good wave. You REALLY need to watch the transom with that kind of weight in a 190 as the blower vents are below the rub rail and they can take water in VERY easily when you stop. You'll need to turn as you let off the throttle to avoid swamping the back (you'll want to do the same with a Response).
Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Newbie

Thank you for the useful info corey, what about the engine hours any comment on that ?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
If you're patient, I'll bet there will be a lot of 197s on the market in the next few years.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfooter View Post
If you're patient, I'll bet there will be a lot of 197s on the market in the next few years.
not in this side of the world I am from Turkey/Istanbul
Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
Make sure to have a run up of the engine including a compression check. Realistically 1100 hours is fine as long as the boat has be properly serviced (oil change, transmission fluid change, plugs, wires, clean flame arrestor, fuel filters, etc.) My guess is that the MC boat has a 5.7 liter (either version is very reliable) you can run it for another 1000-2000 hours as long as you keep up the service. The 6.0 liter engine is awesome as well though likely even harder to find parts for in Turkey than the 5.7 but a U.S. Dealer can ship you what you need.

Make sure to keep a 1/4 tank or more of fuel to keep the fuel pump from overheating and have some fun!