Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X 80
Need help with X80 purchase

Hello everyone, thanks for those that have time to read this and answer my questions regarding a 2006 X80 that my brother and I are about to purchase this week assuming everything comes back clean on the inspection.

Here is a link to the boat:
http://www.southaustinmarine.com/new...34&pov=2868697

We have owned three boats 21ft Wellcraft, Malibu VLX, Crownline 270. This will be our biggest boat and the first with twin engines. We plan on keeping it on the trailer and not in the water. Two main activities we plan on using the boat for are:

1) Watersports (wakeboarding, tubing, sking etc) We are are novice wakeboarders and do it for recreation so all the technical wake stuff is not that important to us. Having the space of the X80 and the stability of a boat this size on a lake like Travis that can get rough was appealing to us and the wives. One thing I noticed was that there is no ski pylon on this boat so I assume you attach the rope for tubing and sking to the tower? I was also told never to do that but is that something on this boat can handle? I would hate to have our 4 person tube rip the tower off the boat. How is sking from the tower?

2) Party Cove/Sailgating
The other main activity is just going to the cove and drinking beer. Also we will be doing what they are calling "sailgating" at the new Baylor football stadium on the Brazos River, which is just tailgating on your boat. The layout of this boat would seem to accommodate 8 adults and several kids comfortably all day partying I would assume?

For what the price is and what we are planing to do does this seem like it will be a good fit? Anything I should know about this model from people who have or currently own one? The twin engines seem like over kill but I do like the maneuverability it offers, especially on a windy day.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help it was between this or a 330ss Formula but the watersport capabilities of this boat made it the winner..... I think?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I've never owned an X-80, but I did have a Formula 303 SR-1 with twin 502's so here's my take.

The X-80 is way better for all watersports, plus you can surf behind it (don't try it with the Formula with I/O's....dangerous!) I've also heard the holeshot with twins is awesome, only a little slower than a prostar 197! Lots of room to roam around and party, you just can't overnight on it like you could with the Formula if it's a cabin style (the only kind of Formula to get IMHO)

The Formula will have a smoother ride because of the deep V, and better top speed since you can trim the outdrives. Probably better mpg since the RPM's will be less at any given cruising speed.

It all depends what's important to you. Either way, not a bad problem to have!

BTW, you're going to love docking a boat with twin engines....so fun once you get the hang of it. Nothing like turning the boat around within it's own length!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Wow, nice boat! I think I'd be terrified to ski behind it. Even though it has no pylon it should have a tow hook mounted at the stern for pulling tubes, and if someone gets up the nerve to ski behind it, the tower will work fine. I've used the tower and a shortened rope on my prostar to teach deep water starts. Pulling from the higher angle makes it easier to get up.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Can't say much, except echo JerseyDave's comments. The X80 is fun to drive with the twins and holds plenty of people to hang with for the day!

Congrats on the new boat. I hope it works out for you!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X 80
Thanks for the help. I think we are going to get the X80. Just hope the inspection comes back clean.

Is there an Austin, TX Mastercraft owners club? I know Malibu had an owners club in town.