Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Perfect Pass wiring question

I am planning on installing perfect pass (gps version) before summer but i can't find the answer to something that bothers me. According to the install instructions, the units power wire is hooked into the switched power at the ignition. So by having it wired this way wouldnt the system reset itself every time i shut off and then restart the boat? I usually shut the boat off while people are switching in and out of the water. Am i going to run into problems with waiting for the system to "boot up" and find the gps signal or could i just wire the system directly to the battery with a separate dash switch so it can be kept on all the time? I'm sure others have run into this, but i may have missed something.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I'm wired this way and never really noticed any boot up or lag time when coming out of power off. The system picks up wherever it leaves off. I think that once you restart, take slack out of your rope, get your ready signal, it'll be ready to go. But to be fair, I've never tried any speed tests to really see if there was a delay.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
No, you shouldn't have a problem. Each time you start the engine, the PP unit cycles through and does a self test. All the settings, etc stay in memory and load to the same place you left it off at.

I don't have the GPS version so I don't know how long that takes to boot up.

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
It saves your settings every time you make a change.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

I guess i'm more worried about how long it will take for it to find its GPS signal everytime. I've heard of it sometimes taking a minute or two to get the signal and if it would go through that everytime i shut off the engine it would get really annoying.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205/2005 Maristar 210 VRS - MCX
Mine might take 15-20 seconds when I first get the boat out on the lake, but after that, its about 2-5 seconds after a restart. I'm guessing its keeping track of where the satellites are located, when you power off, so that it can re-acquire quicker on restart.

Rob

2005 MariStar 210VRS - MCX - ACME #845
1994 Prostar 205 TBI 350 (previous boat)
2007 Sierra Classic 2500HD Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison 6 speed

War Eagle
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retoxtony View Post
I guess i'm more worried about how long it will take for it to find its GPS signal everytime. I've heard of it sometimes taking a minute or two to get the signal and if it would go through that everytime i shut off the engine it would get really annoying.
I have that problem with my radio so I moved it to the accessory switch. that way I can still shut the power off to it but it is not affected by the ingition switch. Anyone done this with their perfect pass?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
I installed the Perfect Pass stargazer with GPS last summer. Only required Ignition, Ground, and Tach, was able to make all 3 connections on the back of my Tacometer. It re-establishes connection to GPS and resumes settings very quick!, by the time you get the skier ready and rope tight, it has locked gps signal again. The settings remain in memory.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I don't have any experience with the GPS version so I didn't know what to expect. Sounds like it will work just fine for me.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
Next time I'm on the water I'll measure 'time-to-ready' from ignition off and let you know.