Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
1988 tristar steering stuck or seized

hey guys im just dewinterizing my boat today and noticed the steering is stuck anybody have any suggestions on this, is it usually the rudder or is it the cable .

at the rear end the rudder feels stuck no wiggle at all . i did not grease anything before putting it away . because i had just rebuilt the rudder replacing orings and such and grease all nipples in the rear, 3 of them . crap i guess i should of cycled the steering once in awhile . all i was worried about was the motor . every so often i would jump in it and turn the motor a quarter turn by hand .

oh well i guess i have to tear into it .

anybody have this issue on thier tristar and notice if it was usually the cable or the rudder.

cheers

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I see you're in B.C. Canada. Isn't it a little early to get ready for dewinterizing? I'm in Wisconsin and one of my boats has a stuck rudder too. I'm guessing there may have been a little water intrusion at the beginning that froze and hasn't defrosted yet. Hopefully a little warmer weather will take care of that.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgbottle View Post
hey guys im just dewinterizing my boat today and noticed the steering is stuck anybody have any suggestions on this, is it usually the rudder or is it the cable .

at the rear end the rudder feels stuck no wiggle at all . i did not grease anything before putting it away . because i had just rebuilt the rudder replacing orings and such and grease all nipples in the rear, 3 of them . crap i guess i should of cycled the steering once in awhile . all i was worried about was the motor . every so often i would jump in it and turn the motor a quarter turn by hand .

oh well i guess i have to tear into it .

anybody have this issue on thier tristar and notice if it was usually the cable or the rudder.

cheers
I think I would take a heat gun and try warming up the rudder shaft to see if it would unstick. It could be stuck anywhere but the rudder shaft seems most likely. If warming it does not help, try tapping the top of the shaft with a brass hammer. I have had my Tristar for 10 years and have never had to cycle the steering or engine (or anything, really) during storage and have not had problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Smile

ha it is cool here for sure but not below freezing , the lake is close and we still like to get out on it as soon as we can . even if we freeze to death haha .

looks like it is the cable . i new i shouldn't of greased it . this would happen to my outboard cable also, so i just stopped greasing it and it has been fine for years .

crap i have to remove a bunch of junk rear seat rear cubby ,rear battery tray ,battery to get in there this sucks .

oh well im done for today will get at it tomorrow it is spring break here for two weeks the kids are itching for a boat ride . they think they can handle it in just a wet suit . Doh!

ya right . i will be making a fire on the beach and having a weenie roast .

cheers.

any way of unsticking a cable other than beat on it . i usually shove it in and try and shove it out and clean off as much as i can of that grease that will purge out. and then all should be fine .

i wont be greasing my shaft again .

i have not had the shaft freeze before. but i did grease it up this past summer. i know thats what f'ed it up

ill try and heat it good idea. soften grease i hope i dont melt anything else HAHA

Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

rudder is free and smooth . cable jammed

Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

the heat did the trick . sweet . i would of never tried it .

i heated up the metal part of the cable by the rudder in theory heating up the grease inside
turned the steering wheel and pop she was free . did not take much effort on the wheel either .

thanks a bunch i did not want to pull my boat apart. very happy .

cheers . and to think i wasn't even gonna post on hear for help on this problem .

but as usual somebody always has a great idea. thanks again .

i did use a heat gun also a blow dryer may have worked as well

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

hijack my own thread doh! now my sub amp isnt working i just pulled it and bench tested it and no light , jumped positive to battery, neg to battery ,and then remote wire to battery positive .
which then it should light up the light ,usually it did .not this time and fuse aint blown oh well this amp had previously been submerged last summer . i will open her up and see what happens

Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Tristar 190
hey pbgbottle! whats the pbg in that bottle of yours? something tasty perhaps? lol... anyways.. im curious as to where you placed your sub and amp? I picked up our first Mastercraft last year.. 88 Tristar! Got a old 12in mtx sub and old 1000 watt amp I plan on throwing in as soon as 'spring' decides to show up!.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Nice .your the first person to ever ask and i have been using this user name for more than 10 years on other forums as well and nobody has ever asked ,
it is Pepsi LOL , PBG = Pepsi bottling group. i'm a driver at Pepsi .

my stereo is a mix and match of free stuff from my friends. all i had to do was buy the deck.
i haven't got it all dialed in yet .but i have 2 small amps up in the passenger side footwell.
behind the panel ,and the sub amp is mounted in the rear side ski locker i guess you would call it way back behind the rear side blower vent and for the sub it is just a small 8 inch bazooka tube i lay on the floor behind the engine cover and the seat cushion it fits perfect down there , bass sound quality is ok and it does just fine for me , thats about it not sure where you would mount your 12 inch .

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudLEE View Post
hey pbgbottle! whats the pbg in that bottle of yours? something tasty perhaps? lol... anyways.. im curious as to where you placed your sub and amp? I picked up our first Mastercraft last year.. 88 Tristar! Got a old 12in mtx sub and old 1000 watt amp I plan on throwing in as soon as 'spring' decides to show up!.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:29 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Tristar 190
Haa.. pepsi! Nice.. I was hoping it was something I could mix with a pepsi that a Wisconsinite like myself would enjoy! Lol..
Gotcha on the sub and amps.. I was just curious to where others have placed theirs in the Tristars. I'll pry just throw it in the enclosed bow.. at least that's my plan for now..