Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
New boat owner - MANY questions

Updating this thread as answers come in
Red means confirmed, Orange means still confirming.

Hi
After having this boat for a little over a month, and using it several times, i have a few questions that i was hoping i could get answered. Some of them i've already done some research on, but not extensive. Please if you could refer to the question you're answering in your response, as some of them the answers may be similar, and i want to be sure i understand

1) I have 3 switches to the right of the console (see first attachment). Directly to the right of the audio controls. I have not figured out what they do, and can post a picture of them directly if necessary. There's an "ON", "MAN", etc. 3 rocker switches.
Confirmed these are the switches for the MC Perfect Pass to the right of the speedo

2) Is there anything required to get the shower to work? I have the hot/cold attachment on the rear transom, but turning either of the knobs, no water comes out. Is there a shutoff valve inside the boat somewhere?
Still going to confirm - may be related to one of the switches (unlabeled) on the left of the steering wheel

3) What kind of boot soap do you put in the reservoir on the starboard side mounted to the stern inside the locker?

4) I noticed my boat (and it appears all x45s?) don't have tracking fins underneath. The boat is a beast to maneuver, and I feel tracking fins may help give me more of a pivot point when performing forward/reverse maneuvers?
Confirmed the X45s didn't come with tracking fins, and they wouldn't help at low speeds (maneuvering) anyway

5) Bimini top (see attachment 2) is in two pieces, a front and back. They zip together in the middle. Front one, when folded, covers the top half of the front facing docking lights (meaning they only illuminate the front interior of the boat). Looks like this is certainly not the standard bimini. Wanted any thoughts on this.
Seems like others have the same issue with the front bimini covering the docking lights when the bimini is folded. Back section appears to be aftermarket?

6) Below the ballast pump switches are three little black switches. Two of them say 'speedo', and the middle one says 'display selector'. Self explanatory labels, and I noticed I can calibrate the speedometer with either of the switches, which led me to question - why are there two switches that do the same thing (the two outer switches) - same label and everything.
Looks like one may control the analog speedo (center gauge), while the other may control the PP speed. Will confirm this weekend

7) Is it possible to find a wiring diagram for the boat's electrical system?
Got a wiring diagram for the engine (thanks!) - but nothing that appears to reference the auxiliary electrical system (ballasts, bilge, lights, etc)

8) Do both batteries charge, regardless what the battery selection switch is set to?

9) Perfect pass - doesn't have "GPS" on the top left of the display, which I believe means it's a manual one and not GPS enabled? Shows "Mastercraft perfect pass". I'd heard it's possible (easy in fact) to swap them out? What's involved in this?
Appears the Stargazer Perfectpass will work out of the box

10) Steering wheel is not aligned with the rudder. Makes it a challenge when trying to fine tune the angle the boat is heading, when the wheel is something like 120 degrees off. How easy is this to remediate?
Appears I just need to pull it and reconfigure

11) Depth finder. Mine had come loose, so the dealer epoxied it back together on the hull of the boat. The finder now reads a value, but I suspect it's way off. I know it's working (to an extent), as the middle of the lake reads a few dozen feet, where near the dock is a lot less. However the boat is still floating when the depth finder is reading "0.5", so there's got to be something off with it. What's involved in calibrating it?

12) How fast should this boat be able to go? I'm not sure the prop info, but will find it. From what I've been told, it's the stock prop. I can do 40mph (GPS verified), but the boat seems like it's struggling - 5500RPM, etc.
Seems it's normal for these boats to have a cruise speed of 23-27, but top speed of 40+ is not good for them

13) How do these boat transmissions work? Like car transmissions with several gears? I've never heard, felt, or seen (on the tach) the boat 'shift'? I'm certain I would have felt a shift, but I haven't - so is the transmission just a direct engage or disengage forward or reverse, with no actual gearing?
Confirmed they have no gearing, only neutral, forward, and reverse - crank driven

14) Ballast tanks - was told they would overflow when full, but that emptying they should empty out of the same hole in the hull as the intake, since the pumps just 'reverse'. Seems 2 of my ballasts empty out the side of the hull (the overflow holes)?
Appears that older model boats (prior to 2008?) use the overflow. I will confirm this over the weekend - I thought 2 of them used the overflow to empty and the 3rd didn't, but will confirm

15) Ballasts - I have 3 switches built into the boat (KGB, FWD, PORT if I remember). Then someone has added another switch that says "PORT". The only ballasts I can see are one on each side of the engine, and one in the center (between the glove compartment and driver console, a little further forward). Where are the pumps for them? I see the top piece that I assume is the float. Do these boats only come with hard ballast tanks? What does "KGB" mean?
KGB is center ballast tank apparently.

16) While the right side switches on the console have labels (ballast tanks, NAV lights, etc) the left side accessory switches do not; anyone have a good way to label them?
I need to go through what each of the switches do; will add this to my to-do list. I suspect one of them is supposed to run the shower, but doesn't

17) I find when docking, i have to back the trailer WAY into the water on most ramps that are either too shallow or too deep, otherwise the front of the boat doesn't clear the bump guard on the trailer. Is this normal? I have a 'boat buddy' installed on the trailer that has the spring loaded hitch. Comes in handy when loading as the audible 'click' lets me know i'm connected, but wondering if on the flipside, it's requiring the boat to be a lot higher than necessary? See attachment 3 for the location relative to the boat when trailered.
Appears 'Boat Buddy' is designed to let the hull ride up it, leaving markson hull.

18) My boat appears to have what looks like a power flag deploy (see attachment 2) - mounted to the front starboard pillar of the tower. Have not been able to figure out how (if) it works, and the dealer said they've never seen one. Anyone have any insight?

19) Boat covers - my boat came with two covers that have snaps on the exterior perimeter of the boat. The front covers the front section to the windshield. The back section covers the back cabin from windshield back. In addition, I have a mastercraft cover with 'Mastercraft' printed on the section that goes near the windshield. This cover goes over the entire windshield, and has ratchets at the back that tighten it around the entire boat (including windshield), minus the tower. Assuming that's the weatherproof cover? What's the purpose of the black covers with the snaps? And seems like the covers 'sag' - water (rain) collects in the front and rear of the boat. Any way around that? I've tried taking two pieces of 2x4, cut to the right side, and wedged them in, creating more of a 'teepee'.
It's supposed to have two "tent poles", which mine are missing. I'll see if I can find some aftermarket, and if anyone has any suggestions i'm all ears
Attached Images

Last edited by lj_mastercraft; 04-07-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X46
13 - boat transmissions just have forward and reverse gears. They do not shift like a car transmission.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 AM
TT Regular

5 - in both of my Mastercraft boats the docking lights illuminate the bimini top just like you describe. Not the best design from the factory.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:57 AM
TT Regular

4 - tracking fins won't offer you any value for low speed maneuvers. They only help with tracking at higher speeds.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:00 AM
TT Regular

You should be able to download an owners manual for the boat from the Mastercraft website. Just Google for mastercraft owners manual. This will help you identify the switches.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 AM
TT Regular

15-KGB stands for keel line gravity ballast. It is the center ballast tank.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 AM
TT Regular

19-the snap on covers are quicker to install and remove but they don't offer the best protection since they leave a lot of the fiberglass exposed to the sun. They are probably after market. The Mastercraft cover is the better all weather storage cover. They came from the factory with a set of tent poles connected by straps that provide the teepee effect you need to prevent water from pooling. The picture isn't a mastercraft but should give you the idea. Mastercraft had two tent poles.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 AM
TT Regular

Old 04-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Boat: 06 X30
1. Mastercraft cruise control.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=67533

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 04-04-2017, 07:42 AM

Boat: 06 X30
11. Depth finder keel offset.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=73497

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 04-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.