Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 12:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-30
HELP - 2002 X-30 Nearly Sunk

Friday night took a group of people for a cruise...load was heavy at 10 adults. I had noticed water being cycled through the bilge earlier in the day and though it was from a day of surfing.

We overheated on the way back from the cruise. Lifted the motor and tons of water coming in the boat...had a 5 mile cruise back at idle with engine below 220 degrees. We had to bail water out of the center the entire trip back.

Got Everyone back to my Houseboat and I thought the water was coming in from a bad hose. Came outside an hour later and the X-30 had water filling the boat to just behind the drivers seat...bilge fault tripped...holy crap!

Was able to quickly tow the X-30 to my boat lift where I had to use a Tsunami pump to get the boat out of the water due to 6500lb weight limit.

I think I have two issues but wanted to ask the forum if perhaps a drive shaft failure to leak to the extent of nearly sinking the boat in a short time...if so that seems like a terrible design flaw...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2016, 01:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14, '95 prostar 205 (for sale)
That's scary! Good thing you had a lift you could put it on quickly.

I would use the lift to your advantage in finding the leak. Lower the boat in with the lift down a safe distance. See if you can see where the water is coming in. You may need to try your best to dry the bilge out 1st. If you took on that much water that quickly it should be pretty clear where the leak is.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-30
I took the boat off the water today...couldn't sleep at night thinking of a lift failure and the sinking of the boat.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 ProStar
I would check your mufflers for cracks
Old 10-09-2016, 03:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
That much water that quickly sounds like a hose blown out or detached. Even with the packing completely gone on the drive shaft, I can't imagine water getting in that quickly though the small space between the shaft and packing nut. If you can, with the boat on a lift or trailer, stick a hose in the bilge area and turn the water on slowly. Wait and see if/where water starts to come out. If it's the packing gland or rudder, you should be able to tell easily. Alternately, get down and poke around the raw water intake and the various cooling hoses to see if one has come off. I'd also check any through-hull fittings and hoses for a crack, particularly those below the waterline.
G
Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: X-45 finally better then x-10
This happened to me in my x10. It was a bad hose to the Kim bag. Scary stuff but your at that time when you may need to just rehouse you ballast system.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by romerorrr@yahoo.com View Post
Friday night took a group of people for a cruise...load was heavy at 10 adults. I had noticed water being cycled through the bilge earlier in the day and though it was from a day of surfing.

We overheated on the way back from the cruise. Lifted the motor and tons of water coming in the boat...had a 5 mile cruise back at idle with engine below 220 degrees. We had to bail water out of the center the entire trip back.

Got Everyone back to my Houseboat and I thought the water was coming in from a bad hose. Came outside an hour later and the X-30 had water filling the boat to just behind the drivers seat...bilge fault tripped...holy crap!

Was able to quickly tow the X-30 to my boat lift where I had to use a Tsunami pump to get the boat out of the water due to 6500lb weight limit.

I think I have two issues but wanted to ask the forum if perhaps a drive shaft failure to leak to the extent of nearly sinking the boat in a short time...if so that seems like a terrible design flaw...

You can't make this stuff up... lol... I'd like to see a picture of the bailing on the five mile trip on the way back....

Attached Images

66 Million Suckers.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Hold up here people... You cruised 5 miles back to the houseboat while overheating?? What was the temp when you were headed back?

The leak may be the least of your concerns, any extended runtime while your engine is overheated can cause catastrophic damage to your engine. It's likely the symptoms of overheating and taking on water are connected, probably from a hose that's under the waterline since the boat took on a lot of water without being run. My money would be on your J-hose from the raw water pump to the transmission oil cooler.

There are a few things you need to check related to the water intrusion (1) and overheating (2).

First, you need to find the leak and fix it (obviously), seondly I would check your transmission fluid and make sure it's not milk chocolate or strawberry milk. It's possible that you got so much water in the boat it reached the breather for the transmission. Third, After the first 2 are fixed, I would run the engine and ensure its running as it once did. I would then check the engine oil to make sure it's not milky... An overheat can crack heads and allow cooling water to get into the oil.

I'm hoping for the best for you... But you really should be familiar enough with your engine to diagnosis these things immediately, and don't ever leave a boat taking on water unless your planning on calling insurance afterwards...
Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
check for a split hose

Hello:

We had the J hose split about 1 year ago. Lots of water really fast with similar symptoms. It was hard to locate with the motor off because it was a lengthwise split that closed when it wasn't pressurized.

Good luck! Steve.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i discovered that my bilge pump was rubbing the raw water intake hose on my 02. it hadn't rubbed all the way through bit it eventually would have.