Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
'07 X2 Tower Braces

OK, I got the '08 tower brace struts from my dealer under warranty last week and I installed them on my 07 X2. Prior to installing the struts, the tower swayed a lot even in light chop and the front collars needed to be tightened after every trip out. You could move the tower just by gently pushing on the speakers or near the top of the rear support leg. After installing, the tower is MUCH more rigid. I tested it out this weekend in some rough water and the tower barely moved and everything was still tight after the trip.

Personally I don't think they look too bad. The color matches the tower exactly and the machining is well done.

Installation was pretty easy. You need to completely remove the tower speakers to add the upper strut bracket. The bracket then bolts to the tower, and the speaker connects to the bracket (it drops the speaker about 3/8"). The strut connects to the rear support at the top of the board rack with a swivel joint which allows you to align everything before locking it down tight.

I'm satisfied with the fix. Yes, the tower should have been designed better in the first place, but I'm happy that MC came through and provided the struts under warranty. Here's a few pics of the parts and the install.

Parts kit:

Upper bracket and fasteners:

Before:

After:

Last edited by tr6coug; 09-12-2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft X 2 350 mxc
Cool , I don't think they look that bad . I'm just glad there is a fix. And that they took the time to make it look good, any problems with the racks ??
Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Your dealer warrantied the tower braces?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
i really think that mc should supply the braces under warranty! looks great-poor design.

my tower shakes horrible. i would really like to have two more speakers and lights but am worried the additional weight might cause some type of failure.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6coug
OK, I got the '08 tower brace struts from my dealer under warranty last week and I installed them on my 07 X2. Prior to installing the struts, the tower swayed a lot even in light chop and the front collars needed to be tightened after every trip out. You could move the tower just by gently pushing on the speakers or near the top of the rear support leg. After installing, the tower is MUCH more rigid. I tested it out this weekend in some rough water and the tower barely moved and everything was still tight after the trip.

Personally I don't think they look too bad. The color matches the tower exactly and the machining is well done.

Installation was pretty easy. You need to completely remove the tower speakers to add the upper strut bracket. The bracket then bolts to the tower, and the speaker connects to the bracket (it drops the speaker about 3/8"). The strut connects to the rear support at the top of the board rack with a swivel joint which allows you to align everything before locking it down tight.

I'm satisfied with the fix. Yes, the tower should have been designed better in the first place, but I'm happy that MC came through and provided the struts under warranty. Here's a few pics of the parts and the install.

Parts kit:

Upper bracket and fasteners:

Before:

After:

That looks good, but, do the swivel racks still swivel now that the braces are on?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X-Star Saltwater Series 6.0L Crusader
Yes, the racks still swivel.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X-2
Does this problem only affect 07 and up towers?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MC X2, RTP-1 5.7L 310 HP 1.5:1, 14.25 x 14.5 XMP OJ Prop, bimini, depth finder, and table, teak platform, White/viper red
Quote:
Originally Posted by conway400
Does this problem only affect 07 and up towers?
Yes 07 and up but I have been wrong before
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
The racks still rotate fine and I haven't had any problem with boards hitting the struts. It is just on the 07 and 08 towers that need this fix. The 06 towers had a double tube design that is much stiffer.

Yes, MC supplied them under warranty.

With the strut improvement, I wouldn't have any problem with adding 2 more speaker/light cans.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft X 2 350 mxc
Just to clear a point , The dealer does NOT warrenty anything, Mastercraft warenties the boat, This seems to have fallen into that grey area. Without doing a full blown recall, they seem to war. on a one to one type deal. Your dealer CAN NOT make the decision to war. them . You need to contact Mastercraft and make a request, They were very nice and prompt and war. mine . The cost for the braces is 313.00, But you need to get the OK from Mastercraft not your dealer, I am surprised that they don't come as STD on the 08 if the tower is the same???????