Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225VRS
1998 Maristar 225VRS Should I stay or should I go???

Hello all. New member and MasterCraft owner. Coming over from the dark side(Tige). Many of you may have seen me active on some of the other sites with the same name. I have had tow boats for 25+ years now and just about every brand under the sun. That being said I have the following question for all the MC experts on here.

After we sold our 2014 Tige we bought a 1998 MC Maristar 225VRS. We had been on a plan with Tige where we bought a new boat every year. Bought the MC pretty much by accident while on vacation in Lake of the Ozarks. I made an offer I thought was low and they took it. The boat is overall good condition and has some good and bad. The boat is missing some key stuff for us. Question is do we add what we need or is it going to be better to sell and buy a boat already set up. We really like the size as we have a lake cabin on a smaller lake here in Minnesota, but also are buying a place at lake of the Ozarks which is bigger water. The 225VRS/ X-30 hull performed well in the chop and still fits our boat lift and doesn't feel huge on our lake. We would move up to a newer X-30/ Maristar 230.

The good:
Hull is in excellent shape
Big after market stereo
Factory installed Zero flex tower with clamp racks
LT1 Corvette engine upgrade
Bimini

Bad:
Original upholstery-has maybe one season left
No Ballast
No perfect pass
Trailer is a little rough(but we don't tow much)
Old cover
Engine runs perfect but does have 920 hours

So I would have to install perfect pass and a ballast system this year. Also need a new cover. Next year would be a full upholstery job. I paid under 20K for the boat and have already put some into it. Question is do I keep the boat and invest 5K plus into it or am I better off buying something newer for maybe 10K more than that? I know its a tough call. We wakeboard and surf.

Also is the second gen X-30 hull(06 up) a big upgrade? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
welcome. as you have already surmised, your 225 is the same hull as the 230/X30 up to 05. we board, ski, surf, etc with our X30. it is certainly not designed to be a surf boat, but it is surfable. you would have to rip out the stock tanks if you had them installed so the lack of ballast really isn't that big of a deal. the pump at that time was an aerator (sp?) style that was pretty slow and shared a common manifold with the 3 tanks. so basically, you'd be looking at a redo of the whole system anyway. pretty cool you have clamping racks. i have the stock clamps and the bungies get annoying.

as to whether the 06+ hull is better. yes. if someone offered to swap, i'd probably take them up on it. however, at best, plan on somewhere in the 40s depending on accessories. for us, it doesn't make financial sense, so i'll stay with my current hull. the biggest advantages i have noted for me would be the deeper freeboard for more ballast for surfing, more modern MCX, swivel racks, and wider beam. i've seen a few listed in the high 30's, but they are usually 06 models pretty bare. i think 07 started the standard billet walkway door which would also be a plus.

there are lots of folks on here that have re-done their vinyl in that era hull. do a search for "viper" and you'll see some great examples.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 Maristar 225VRS
Thanks for the reply. I checked out Viper customs and their stuff looks great. Pretty far away for me though. I also found a place called mastercraftskins.com , anyone have info on them? Spent the last couple days winterizing the boat and getting it ready for a long winters nap. As much as I like this boat I just think there is too much to do on it. The number one thing I hate, and can't do anything about, is the one piece power rear deck. I really want the 3 piece. Other than that really its just money. I have never installed perfect pass but sure I can handle it. I've done plenty of ballast systems and work so that is no problem. Stereo needs some tweaking, but again no problem. Looking at the seats I think it just needs bottoms for now and thats not nearly as bad as full interior.

But I look at it and its going to require $4000-$6000 to get it how I want it and really nice. Thats without a new trailer and its still going to be a 17 year old 900 hour boat. But it will be a really nice one at that and I will know what I have. I found a 04 with 300 hours that they claim is really nice for 35K. Just seems like that might be a good idea if i can get that one in the low 30's.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
i've used mastercraftskins.com twice. no problems and they do good work. if you are going to do it yourself, invest in a good air powered stapler. makes the job so much easier. 04 would be a good year. gets you the MCX and avoids the complicated racks on the 03. i don't think you'll see that much of an improvement of the quality of the vinyl in 04 but you do get the more modern interior that started in 01 and includes the 3 piece sun deck. still the exact same hull, just more modern stuff on/in it.