Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2016, 11:52 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 Mastercraft, 350
Quick Question on 96 200vrs

Currently own an older S&S and have the opportunity to purchase a 1996 200VRS. I am not finding alot information on the boat. Searching here I find a couple threads from people. It has the LT1, 93 hours and its pretty clean. I am just looking for an extra boat to haul more people around, was originally looking at just adding a pontoon boat, then found this. Any thoughts, warning, etc. . .
Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
The 200VRS is a fair all around family boat. Three issues I don't like about mine.
1. If it has the center mount pylon you still lose the back seat when pulling skiers. Mine had
no pylon at all so I fabricated one that mounts behind the rear seat. No problem if you are just cruising.
2. If the 96 has the built in euro platform like my 95, you will hate it. To small and hard for uncoordinated people
to use.
3. My 95 porpoises over 30 mph with more than 2 adults in the boat. Worse if someone is sitting in
the bow. Bought a wake plate that I will install this spring.

We went from an 87 Prostar to the 200VRs and we love it when we have extra people at the lake. I swapped out the factory 3 blade for the OJ 4 blade and I like it even more.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:06 PM
TT Regular

Thanks, it does not have the center pylon. It does have the built in swim deck, which does look small. What casues the propoising? It looks to have the base Indmar TBI engine, how do those hold up? Any issues with them.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
The 200VRS is a fair all around family boat. Three issues I don't like about mine.
1. If it has the center mount pylon you still lose the back seat when pulling skiers. Mine had
no pylon at all so I fabricated one that mounts behind the rear seat. No problem if you are just cruising.
2. If the 96 has the built in euro platform like my 95, you will hate it. To small and hard for uncoordinated people
to use.
3. My 95 porpoises over 30 mph with more than 2 adults in the boat. Worse if someone is sitting in
the bow. Bought a wake plate that I will install this spring.

We went from an 87 Prostar to the 200VRs and we love it when we have extra people at the lake. I swapped out the factory 3 blade for the OJ 4 blade and I like it even more.

I never owned one but I've spent a lot time in one belonging to some friends.

I echo the ski pylon and swim deck issues...the euro deck being a huge hassle. I never noticed it porpoise, though. Since it's one of the earliest v-drives, you could add fat sacs and a tower and have a pretty decent wake boat for a low price.

Sent from my iPhone using my iThumbs
Old 01-29-2016, 09:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
If you are looking for cruising boat to take the place of a pontoon, the 200VRS is fine. It is very roomy and it handles chop very well. It’s an average family ski boat but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten an X-Star. The porpoising issue is hull related and I don’t know if it applies to the 96 or not. I glued a nylon strip to the bull to act as a temporary hook, and I will be installing the wake plate this spring.
The biggest issue I have with the boat is the euro platform, which is way too small for a ski boat. Even my dog hates it. I also had to have a custom cover made since my boat sits in the water on the weekends and the factory cover goes over the euro platform (no biggie).
No issues with the 5.7L engine. My 95 runs at 142 degrees rather than the usual 160. Programmed that way.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 AM
TT Regular

Thanks AH, we are looking to just cruise around the lake. I just don't know if I can like a pontoon and would rather have something with a little more speed. The 96 models are all fiberglass correct, no wood to worry about? I am going to go test it out today or tomorrow and see what it's like.