Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 PM
TT Newbie

Engine flush question

I posted this on another thread, but didnt know if hijacking that thread was appropriate.

Quick question/concern about the Perko flush Pro. I have had one for 2 or 3 seasons, and seems to work really well for me. I winterized my boat yesterday. I have relatively wimpy water pressure from a well, but I always get good return from the exhaust. Usually, I always turn the hose off soon after I shut the engine off. Yesterday I shut the engine off and left the hose ON for prob 3-5 minutes before I realized to shut if off. I remembered it was still on because there was small amt of water leaking from the impeller housing. I had a sudden scary thought that leaving the hose on could cause the block to fill up with water and overflow into the exhaust and into the exhaust valves into the cylinder. I know I have heard something about this somewhere--very well could have been with one of my other water toys or could have been entirely conjured up in a dream for all I know. I ran the boat after I changed the oil again and it ran just like usual. Am I just being paranoid? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:25 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
only way to get water into the cylinders would be via the exhaust... can't over flow the blow via the front.... running thru water system the correct direction would flow out the back.

just pull all the drain plugs and let it all drain out.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I'd bet your water wasn't getting past the raw water impeller if the housing gasket was leaking, takes a good deal of pressure to force water past the vanes in the pump.

Where water gets into the exhaust valves is if you don't have the rubber flappers, when you cut back on the throttle the water from your trailing wakes can run up the exhausts to the manifold and flood up over into the actual exhaust valves.

Even with heavy flow the water should still follow its normal path down out the exhaust tube.