Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
My dad was a do-it-myself type of guy, just like I am now. My mom passed away in 2009 and my dad in 2011, so having my 2 best teachers gone, it is hard sometimes.

But as the tables turn, I am on the other side...I now have 2 "grease monkeys" (and trust me, they do not hold back in terms of getting dirty! ) that I am showing how to take things apart and fix. When the weather is warm, they are always outside in the garage with me or in the back yard cutting the grass, etc.

When I first found the project 190 that we bought last fall, my daughter saw the picture in the ad and said "Daddy, you HAVE to buy that boat...it is pink and blue, my favorite color and JD's favorite color." So that was the deciding factor and the wifey could not object!

The kids have been asking when we are getting the boat out of storage and when the river will be "open" for us to go there...Livi already started showing JD where things are in the boat when we had it in our garage last fall. That was cool to see and hear...

The "Usual Suspects"
Great pic. Watch out....those little helpers grow up quick.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Great pic. Watch out....those little helpers grow up quick.
Yes, they are getting bigger...attitudes as well!

Funny story though...
When Livi was about 4 I started taking her to HD on Saturdays mornings for the Kids' workshops where they build birdhouses, cup holders, etc. Something her and I got to do together and give momma a break at home for a bit.

The first workshop we went to I think we made some sort of wooden tray for mail or something of the like...so on the table they gave us a hammer, some glue and some paint. Livi starts hammering the first small finishing nail into the wood and drops the hammer on the table in disgust. I look at her and asked her what was wrong. She tells me "Daddy, why do we have to use hammers. They have a bunch of air nailers right over there on the shelf. Can't they just let us use those?...It would go alot faster."

I just started to laugh...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:

Funny story though...
When Livi was about 4 I started taking her to HD on Saturdays mornings for the Kids' workshops where they build birdhouses, cup holders, etc. Something her and I got to do together and give momma a break at home for a bit.

The first workshop we went to I think we made some sort of wooden tray for mail or something of the like...so on the table they gave us a hammer, some glue and some paint. Livi starts hammering the first small finishing nail into the wood and drops the hammer on the table in disgust. I look at her and asked her what was wrong. She tells me "Daddy, why do we have to use hammers. They have a bunch of air nailers right over there on the shelf. Can't they just let us use those?...It would go alot faster."

Made me laugh too!

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:

Funny story though...

still got the kid's orange aprons with their names on them, the bird houses, pencil holders and the bird feeders we built

good times

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 03-15-2013, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
It's terrible to hear the hurt and pain in some of the stories here. This thread started so positive.

Well anyway, here's my story. Growing up dad worked a lot. I was 1 of 5 and mom and dad both grew up poor. He worked tirelessly to provide for us. I remember resenting that he was never around to go to my games, etc. We got along ok but it wasn't like some strong bond many of you have expressed. When I was 16 dad started a business. While in college I worked for him a little part time, after that full time. I really liked what I was doing and it was kinda cool being around dad and some of my brothers. He would tell me "you have a job here because you're good at your job not because you have the same last name". In December dad retired, I worked side by side with him daily for 16 years. He was always available as a sounding board and helped me in so many ways. For the last 10 years or so he would tell me and my brothers that he started this company so my brothers and I would have a better way to provide for our families than he did. His one rule was that the company can not be allowed to come between the family. We all bought in and strive to operate that way (some days are easier than others). Because of what he did, I get to see my brothers everyday, I have a great career and can not thank him enough. My oldest is 11 and spent a lot of time snowboarding with him this winter, I get out to my daughters swim meets etc. So dad and I didn't spend much time working on a project etc. but I wouldn't change it for the world.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Milk

You get my feelings 100%.

My family (my grandpa, mom, 2 sisters, and bro n law) know and are ver very clear that if something happens to me to not even let him know about it. If I would happen to have my funeral before his they know not to even call and tell him details. I don't want him there.

My 32 bday is Tuesday next week. He texted me last week saying "I know your birthday is coming up, these are the days I have available if you want to meet up." (Not asking how I'm doing or what my schedule was like, but gave me his convienent times) Now you might ask. Why do you have a problem with that......The sorry bastard is sending me that text so he can continue to show his mother that I have abandoned his family and will not return calls, texts, emails, etc. he does this so she will carve me out of a will or not give me any inheritance. The thing is idgaf about her money one bit and I'm not going to be fake friends so she will leave something behind for me. Frankly I don't need or want anything from them.

The man has tried the "oh you will F up that too" with me. The last time he said something like that I ignored until we were alone and then it was real clear that if he ever talked to me that way ever again then he would need some serious assistance picking himself back up.

This piece of work called me out when I was in highschool one day. I walk in my my parents home and I see my mother and two sisters on a couch and him standing over them verbally and physically abusing all 3 of them. (Slapping them and pulling their hair wille cussing them out). He calls outside thinking he could just go off on me and have his Napoleon syndrome control me too. While I was walking through the door to go outside this chicken chit jumps me from behind like a freaking monkey and started choking me out from behind and punching me in the temple and ear area with the other hand. After the garage door finally made it up I could pin him up on a wall and turn to where I was facing him while he was still on me like a monkey. I took about 3 steps into the driveway to get some space and just jumped forward and did a belly flop and made him land head first into the concrete. As he let go I did a simple wrist lock and told him if you ever disrespect my family again you will seriously have perminant problems to deal with every day or be dead. To this day he has never once physically touched my mother or sisters. He has though verbally torn them down and when they cry I remind him of his head being smacked on a concrete deiveway and if he continued then I would make his headache much much worse this time around. The spineless sob called my sister a "B" and a "C" right before her wedding (like about to walk down the isle 10 min before show time) because she wanted her wedding her way and not his. Another event where he was reminded to watch his mouth before he was picking up teeth. The problem is he does this behavior in a public setting and doesn't cause a scene. He waits for one on one time and verbally goes off. So me wearing him out would look like it was done for no reason because he is spineless.

I don't know where this man lives and don't care either. All I have is a cell number. No work number, no home number, no home addy, that's it. I don't care either. I've learned that this is the life God gave me and I'm supposed to learn something from it. Although I will forgive, I will not forget and I never want to be around him ever again. There is nothing to salvage. I never want to see him ever again or speak to him ever again.

You may ask what does this man do for a living.

Well he was a teacher, then a vice principal, principal, now in admin for the local school district........blows me away too I know
Wow. I got the belt a lot, mine once drew his fist back at me - I stated, go ahead - it will be the last thing you do (I was 15 or so). I have tried very very hard NOT to be anything like my dad. He would come home from work (high level engineer w major company) YELL about the idiots at work, have a few strong drinks and yell at my mom for loading the dishwasher wrong. I could go into many stories. I was too 'dumb' to even hold the light correctly when I tried to help him work on cars.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, LT1
Reading your life stories brings back some of my memories. We moved to the states in 1973 and mom and dad raised four kids (3 boys and one girl) in Miami. They both worked all the time to make ends meet and they seldom if ever made any of my ball games. However, they always made sure that we had what we needed. Both were very strict and raised us right, I was the third child and I gave them my fair share of heart aches and pain. Dad always had a boat and we always went fishing or just hung out on the boat on weekends. He instilled in us boys a strong work ethic and a love for the ocean/water that until this day we still share. They never spared the rod but we always knew they loved us. My dad always reminded us that America didn't owe us anything, we owed America for allowing us to live here. On my last football game during my senior year in high school my mom came to watch me and she sat on the visitors side accidentally . She was reminded that she was in the wrong stands and cheering for the wrong team and mom almost got into a scuffle (she's old school ). They always supported our endeavors even if they were unable to make it to games that they found to be trivial. My dad taught me how to turn wrenches and even today I will call him when I have technical problems. Although we knew our parents loved us, love was not a word that we used around our house, when I turned 23 I told my dad that I loved him and every time we speak I always tell him that I love him. I'm 47 and love him as much today as I did back then. I will feel lost when they pass on. Out of the four of us, three have college degrees (my oldest brother got his law degree from Georgetown University,and I have a Master's degree, my other brother served in the military. Through thick and thin mom and dad did the best they could for us.

I have now been married for 21 years (this year) and we have two beautiful daughters (19 and 9). They have always enjoyed sports, riding horses and of course the water! I'm strict with them but always remind them that I love them. In our household love is a word that we use daily (how things change) I've always tried to make all of their games but unfortunately I have missed a few. My youngest daughter came over to the boat the other day and said: "daddy, I love how the boat smells." I remember saying those same words to my dad when I was about her age.

For the guys here that were unable to experience great times with their fathers, my hat goes off to you. You obviously didn't let that stop you from being successful in your ventures. Although I don't know you personally I'm honored to be acquainted with you on this forum. In my opinion you guys are solid men.

For those of you that are struggling with your children I hope that it eventually works out. And for those that have a great relationship with your kids, keep it up. The memories that you are making now will last a lifetime.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaprlud View Post
It's terrible to hear the hurt and pain in some of the stories here. This thread started so positive.

Well anyway, here's my story. Growing up dad worked a lot. I was 1 of 5 and mom and dad both grew up poor. He worked tirelessly to provide for us. I remember resenting that he was never around to go to my games, etc. We got along ok but it wasn't like some strong bond many of you have expressed. When I was 16 dad started a business. While in college I worked for him a little part time, after that full time. I really liked what I was doing and it was kinda cool being around dad and some of my brothers. He would tell me "you have a job here because you're good at your job not because you have the same last name". In December dad retired, I worked side by side with him daily for 16 years. He was always available as a sounding board and helped me in so many ways. For the last 10 years or so he would tell me and my brothers that he started this company so my brothers and I would have a better way to provide for our families than he did. His one rule was that the company can not be allowed to come between the family. We all bought in and strive to operate that way (some days are easier than others). Because of what he did, I get to see my brothers everyday, I have a great career and can not thank him enough. My oldest is 11 and spent a lot of time snowboarding with him this winter, I get out to my daughters swim meets etc. So dad and I didn't spend much time working on a project etc. but I wouldn't change it for the world.
I don't really think the thread has turned bad..... I think it gives a little insight about how diverse the backgrounds of our members are.... a lot of that diversity creates strength and opportunity.

What your father did was create a bonding relationship within a family that worked for that family... it just so happened that it was a business that helped strengthen that bond. that's not to say it would work for all families. But it worked for yours, and in this day and time... that's a good thing.

I've actually used a "time sheet" for any work my son has helped me with, since he was 13 years old... if he performs a service such as detailing limousine, he writes it on his time sheet. He's paid regularly, and buys the things he "wants".... his golf clubs, iPhone 4s, xbox360, games, higher end shoes*, Christmas presents, etc.... if it's something he "needs", I gladly take take of that.
*(I go 1/2 on his shoes, because for some reason, he thinks he needs $100.00+ shoes)
Now that he's 15,
He'll hire me to take his group of guys/girls out for an evening (if I'm not booked), but it's only for a 1 hour rate...
this teaches him
1)He can't have good old dad take him and his friends out anytime he wants
2) It teaches him if he wants something, he's got to save for it.
3) If I have his group out to the mall and movies, and an actual customer calls, I can't just leave his group hanging...I'm actually working with a group.
4) The money he pays goes for fuel and their soft drinks.... I donate my time to his party.
Doing this serves several purposes, but the main purpose is that I'm still doing something with my 15 year old son and I know where he's at, who he's with!

And you know.... When we part ways before or after ballgames and he's standing with his buddies/girls/etc, he still has no problem saying "I love you" or hugging me in front of his friends, dropping him off at school every morning, and every night at bedtime.

All a parent can do is try the best they can..... it's when you don't try is when they lose faith in you. If they see you trying, they'll follow you forever.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:55 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
Wow. I got the belt a lot, mine once drew his fist back at me - I stated, go ahead - it will be the last thing you do (I was 15 or so). I have tried very very hard NOT to be anything like my dad. He would come home from work (high level engineer w major company) YELL about the idiots at work, have a few strong drinks and yell at my mom for loading the dishwasher wrong. I could go into many stories. I was too 'dumb' to even hold the light correctly when I tried to help him work on cars.
my oldest son back in 2002.... he was a junior in high school.... I'm 5'11"

in 2010, we got into an argument in front of a lot of people at a football activity for youngest son....
(long history, heated argument, wrong place, wrong time)
I pushed my chest up into his, and he said "you just want me to hit you, don't you?" I said "you damned right I do, I know your weak spots!"
not something I'm proud of, but he backed down.

He's 29 now, 6'6" and 360lbs.
Long way to go before that relationship will be rebuilt
Attached Images