Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
X55

Hello all, newb to MC and TT here!

I'm looking very closely at purchasing a new X55. We currently have a fairly new deckboat (24'6") and last year really started getting into watersports. We started wakeboarding (myself, wife, and 12 yo son), and they both want to be able to surf. When out on the lake, we probably spend 50-60% of the time just cruising, the rest with watersports. Half the time it's just the 3 of us, so the 55 will be huge, but half the time we have 1 or 2 other families with us. Plus my wife likes the room.

I've scoured the forum for as many X55 posts as I can find. So just a few questions:

- Everyone says more engine is better....but in your opinion, is the upgrade from 6.0L to 7.4L worth it? (roughly $10k). And will help it on resale/trade in, in the future?

- I'm sold on the quality of MC and like the boat. I haven't been able to test drive it and won't before I make a commitment (long story there). I recognize that while both boats are large and heavy, they'll handle quite differently. But with as much cruising as we do, will we enjoy the X55 for that? Our lake is mild to moderate chop (on weekends).

Any other considerations in making the change? I'm probably just working to get peace of mind on making this big a purchase commitment.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Here is a good bit of information on the x55!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52960
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
welcome, and congrats on your upcoming purchase. what lake are you on?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Going from your current deck boat to an x55 will be like going from a ford explorer to a range rover and you will feel the huge difference the very moment you accelerate for the first time. That type of boat will make you feel like the king of your lake for sure! It wont have the top end speed of a conventional I/O but you will make up for it in hole shot and general handling. Handling chop should be mostly similar with the edge going to the x55 due to its heavier weight. Surfing and wakeboarding will be exponentially better behind the x55 than your current boat. Bottom line, you are going to love that thing and you will appreciate it even more since you are coming from an I/O and its a big difference.

For how you describe your boating, I say the 7.4 option isn't worth the 10k extra for your needs. It doesn't sound like you'll be overweighting the boat to create some monster surf wave so you won't necessarily need the higher hp. And a simple prop change can give you some low end to take on any amount of weight.

Good luck with the purchase. Share pics when you get to that point.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl xstar View Post
Going from your current deck boat to an x55 will be like going from a ford explorer to a range rover and you will feel the huge difference the very moment you accelerate for the first time. That type of boat will make you feel like the king of your lake for sure! It wont have the top end speed of a conventional I/O but you will make up for it in hole shot and general handling. Handling chop should be mostly similar with the edge going to the x55 due to its heavier weight. Surfing and wakeboarding will be exponentially better behind the x55 than your current boat. Bottom line, you are going to love that thing and you will appreciate it even more since you are coming from an I/O and its a big difference.

For how you describe your boating, I say the 7.4 option isn't worth the 10k extra for your needs. It doesn't sound like you'll be overweighting the boat to create some monster surf wave so you won't necessarily need the higher hp. And a simple prop change can give you some low end to take on any amount of weight.

Good luck with the purchase. Share pics when you get to that point.
Thanks JDL. On the top end speed, yeah, I know that's the tradeoff for the hole shot torque. But I rarely went above 40mph anyways, so no big deal for me there. They are both about the same weight (over 5k pounds), so it'd be interesting to see how the handling changes in rougher water. I do like the idea of getting on plane so easy vs the IO.

On the 7.4L, do you think it helps resale? i.e, would be more attractive to a trade-in or buyer to have those 500+ horses?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astepatatime View Post
On the 7.4L, do you think it helps resale? i.e, would be more attractive to a trade-in or buyer to have those 500+ horses?
It would help resale for sure if its sitting next to a similar condition and hours boat with a smaller engine... but I for one might go with a smaller engine with fewer hours over a bigger with more hours. Trade in... same thing. So its really hard to quantify the effect on resale for boats with bigger engines. You don;t want to have regrets after you spend that much so just go with what you are most comfortable with. The 7.4 would be fun to have but from a necesssity stand point, you probably don't need it.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
If you can afford an X55, don't look back, get the 7.4 and never look back Drove one with it, priceless IMHO
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
The only reason not to get the bigger engine is initial cost, IMO. Get it you won't regret it. X55 SS is a dream of mine. (along with a dd for skiing)

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Hello all, newb to MC and TT here!

I'm looking very closely at purchasing a new X55. We currently have a fairly new deckboat (24'6") and last year really started getting into watersports. We started wakeboarding (myself, wife, and 12 yo son), and they both want to be able to surf. When out on the lake, we probably spend 50-60% of the time just cruising, the rest with watersports. Half the time it's just the 3 of us, so the 55 will be huge, but half the time we have 1 or 2 other families with us. Plus my wife likes the room.

I've scoured the forum for as many X55 posts as I can find. So just a few questions:

- Everyone says more engine is better....but in your opinion, is the upgrade from 6.0L to 7.4L worth it? (roughly $10k). And will help it on resale/trade in, in the future?

- I'm sold on the quality of MC and like the boat. I haven't been able to test drive it and won't before I make a commitment (long story there). I recognize that while both boats are large and heavy, they'll handle quite differently. But with as much cruising as we do, will we enjoy the X55 for that? Our lake is mild to moderate chop (on weekends).

Any other considerations in making the change? I'm probably just working to get peace of mind on making this big a purchase commitment.

Thanks in advance!
You are looking at the right boat. Youíre saying the same things we did 2 years ago, we ended up buying the X55, and we LOVE IT! We have the CTSV engine, supercharged V8. We love to wakeboard and surfing has been awesome. We got ours loaded, almost every option and it runs and performs as advertised. The 55 gives you room to take two other families, gear, and the kitchen sink. The build quality of MC is unreal, solid as they come. You wonít go wrong with a MC, the X45 might be a great option as well, others seem to think they donít do as well in the chop or bad weather. We have had our 55 in weather that boats were headed out of the water, I mean some bad weather, it did great.

Good luck go get it!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X55,LSA
Quote:
Thanks JDL. On the top end speed, yeah, I know that's the tradeoff for the hole shot torque. But I rarely went above 40mph anyways, so no big deal for me there. They are both about the same weight (over 5k pounds), so it'd be interesting to see how the handling changes in rougher water. I do like the idea of getting on plane so easy vs the IO.

No replacement for displacement! Our 55 has 556 horsepower, has better fuel efficiency than our last boat which was a 24 Maxum with the 6.2 liter engine. When you have your MC weighted down with people and gear, plus have the ballast filled and extra sacks for big surf, you will be very happy to have the Horses!