Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
Impact Vest

I have been looking at a Ronix Impact Vest for this year’s wakeboarding season, and wondered if anyone had any experience with this type of vest. I currently have an HO, neoprene vest that fits pretty tight, but these impact vests seem to provide a bit more protection against a hard fall.

Had anyone used a similar style vest, and was there any real benefit.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
only experience i have with an 'impact vest' is an older jetpilot my buddy used to like to ride. Another friend put it on to swim to a jumping bridge on a lake trip. realizing it wasnt floating him much, turned to me and said, "hey will, if i was ever knocked out and fell out of my board this is how fast you'd need to turn the boat around to get me" he put his arms up, stopped kicking and sank like a rock.

IMO i wouldnt wear one unless i knew it floated me
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
only experience i have with an 'impact vest' is an older jetpilot my buddy used to like to ride. Another friend put it on to swim to a jumping bridge on a lake trip. realizing it wasnt floating him much, turned to me and said, "hey will, if i was ever knocked out and fell out of my board this is how fast you'd need to turn the boat around to get me" he put his arms up, stopped kicking and sank like a rock.

IMO i wouldnt wear one unless i knew it floated me
Similar experience here. I pretty much stop using them after trying multiple comp vests and impact vests, none of them float me at a safe level, if at all. Closest to safe was the Oneil Revenge which is not an impact vest, its a comp vest.

I'd rather take an impact to the ribs than a drowning any day, makes for a better story
Old 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunra View Post
Similar experience here. I pretty much stop using them after trying multiple comp vests and impact vests, none of them float me at a safe level, if at all. Closest to safe was the Oneil Revenge which is not an impact vest, its a comp vest.

I'd rather take an impact to the ribs than a drowning any day, makes for a better story
Good point. I am picking up a helmet soon.... We are running 2400lbs of ballast this year and I think we are going to set new heights this season. Just trying to prepare for some big wipeouts!
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30
I typically use a JetPilot O'Shea comp vest for surfing and a Billabong USCG approved neo vest for wakeboarding. As others have stated, the Billabong is used to float me at the right level in the event I suffer an injury that renders my lifeless.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 prostar 190
if your really looking for flotation you might want to consider a barefoot suit. i use a 3/4 length barefoot suit and it has plenty of protection and flotation. if your worried about it resisting your movement i wouldn't be, i do everything in my suit from slalom skiing, wake skiing, and jumping.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunra View Post

I wear the O'Neill Revenge. It floats me great, even after a big hit. It feels like it's very close to a CGA vest, more than other comp vests I've tried.

At one point years ago I wore a Jet Pilot A-10 comp vest. It really doesn't provide much float and I felt it wasn't safe. I switched to a Revenge.

Last edited by Eagle; 03-19-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I have not been in an impact vest that felt like it would actually float me so what is the point?
Many Comp vests do have enough flotation to keep you up but dont meet the even higher flotation of CG certifications.
Single strap of a comp vest is nice but I did not find the dual strap significantly affected movement. A three strap encumbers enough to notice IMO.

I really like the JetPilot side entry vests.
The solid chest takes a hit and protects much better than a front zip.
The Cellblock style with segmented sections allows movement almost as good as the a-10 but with more flotation.
I have another super thick one that I usually only use in the shoulder season mainly because it is thicker and warmer.
I dont care for the Baller series, the foam is thinner so it does move but it is still a single piece so it does not bend as comfortable as the segmented vests.