Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
You're getting great advice here on a boat which may work for you. It's one of the things I really like about the TT forum - - - there is a wealth of experience here to draw from.

I will defer to the experts about what MC model may work best for you. I will offer the view that you should seriously consider used boats, especially if money is a bit of an issue. While buying something which is brand new is always exciting and often reassuring (you know that no one else has had a chance to abuse it or neglect it), there are many amazing used MC boats out there which have a lot of spirited, dependable hours left in them.

MC quality produces boats which live a long time - - - most often, these boats perform at levels which are unmatched among other cheaper alternatives. An older ProStar 190 or S&S in good shape will still turn heads and will produce a wake which is unequaled by most new boats.

However, patience is the key, in my book. I started looking for a MC about 3 years ago. I looked at a number of boats which were not quite right, then found a 2004 X-10 which was a great boat for us. I'm the only slalom skier in a family of wakeboarders and we like having a boat with enough room for 7-8 people. I paid about 1/3 of what I would pay for a brand new 2013 X-10, and apart from the upholstery issues which are common in this vintage of MC (and which I'm happy to have fixed/replaced), the boat is golden.

I certainly wonder what it would be like to buy a brand new boat and the newest MC boats are unbelievably beautiful. However, there are amazing used boats out there which may give you the size and performance you're looking for at a fraction of the price.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
If you're thinking 214 check this http://www.redlinewatersports.com/20...tercraft-x14v/
I know the guy who had it for one season and he babied it. Save a little off new and have all the bells and whistles. Plenty of seating too. Love my brother's 197, but with a stated capacity of 7 it's hard to take friends for a ride without leaving people behind. 205 was a little better, and you can get one a lot cheaper than this. 209's are a good middle ground as well.
Good luck.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
I'm sorry I should have specified.. I meant Prostar 214 ahahaha

I edited my post.. It's something that I'm seriously looking into now.. Stopped modding my Cobra for now, and have a good bit in savings for a down payment.. I haven't seen many Used Prostar 214's for sale.. But hoping to maybe pick up a low hr's one at somepoint.

I ski, and tube and that's about it..
Your pretty brave telling people you tube. It's a joke around here so don't get mad if you get ribbed for that.

Oops, I guess I just opened that subject up. I kid.. Good luck on your search for your tubing boat!! LOL.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Well the 197 and 205 will still hold 10-12 people, so you won't run out of seats. Check out the 209/x9 also... might fine a good boat for a lot less coin.
I'll look into those too. Thanks buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Yeah, think useable seating. You can get 2--3 in the observer seat of a 197, one in the driver's seat, and 2 in the bow, and still ski from the pylon. You're not getting any more from the 214 or the 205 (assuming they have a jump seat). 205s are lighter. The older ones ski better than the newer ones and the oldest 205s (92--93) were lighter and carbureted, making them very easy to modify and boost hp.

/did I get your attention with that last part?

This is my old 93 205. Excellent ski wake. Carbureted 351HO with right around 300 hp (estimated).

Only reason I sold it was that I wanted a closed bow.
Beautiful boat!! Yea I was thinking last night on the older boats.. I could do rebuilds on a SBF 351 in a day if I needed to hahaha.. Super easy. The only thing that I don't like is the Carb setup.. In CA (where I'm from) there are lakes at elevation and I guess it wouldn't take long to figure out what jets to run but still something I'm considering. Doing a simple intake manifold/carb setup would be pretty cool though. Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmd View Post
You're getting great advice here on a boat which may work for you. It's one of the things I really like about the TT forum - - - there is a wealth of experience here to draw from.

I will defer to the experts about what MC model may work best for you. I will offer the view that you should seriously consider used boats, especially if money is a bit of an issue. While buying something which is brand new is always exciting and often reassuring (you know that no one else has had a chance to abuse it or neglect it), there are many amazing used MC boats out there which have a lot of spirited, dependable hours left in them.

MC quality produces boats which live a long time - - - most often, these boats perform at levels which are unmatched among other cheaper alternatives. An older ProStar 190 or S&S in good shape will still turn heads and will produce a wake which is unequaled by most new boats.

However, patience is the key, in my book. I started looking for a MC about 3 years ago. I looked at a number of boats which were not quite right, then found a 2004 X-10 which was a great boat for us. I'm the only slalom skier in a family of wakeboarders and we like having a boat with enough room for 7-8 people. I paid about 1/3 of what I would pay for a brand new 2013 X-10, and apart from the upholstery issues which are common in this vintage of MC (and which I'm happy to have fixed/replaced), the boat is golden.

I certainly wonder what it would be like to buy a brand new boat and the newest MC boats are unbelievably beautiful. However, there are amazing used boats out there which may give you the size and performance you're looking for at a fraction of the price.
Yea I don't think that I'll buy new.. I'm usually a little skeptical on buying used, but most MC owners actually take care of their boats which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityskier View Post
If you're thinking 214 check this http://www.redlinewatersports.com/20...tercraft-x14v/
I know the guy who had it for one season and he babied it. Save a little off new and have all the bells and whistles. Plenty of seating too. Love my brother's 197, but with a stated capacity of 7 it's hard to take friends for a ride without leaving people behind. 205 was a little better, and you can get one a lot cheaper than this. 209's are a good middle ground as well.
Good luck.
Thats a nice boat, but pricey for sure. I'll check out the 209's too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Your pretty brave telling people you tube. It's a joke around here so don't get mad if you get ribbed for that.

Oops, I guess I just opened that subject up. I kid.. Good luck on your search for your tubing boat!! LOL.
Ehh I'm not worried. I'm like a professional tuber or anything ahaha.. Just like having fun, that's what it's all about ot me. I'm not new to forums, there will be people wanting to rip regardless of what forum I'm on lol..

On the SVT forums it's about people who "open track" or just say that they do, but when you mention apexing they have no clue what that word even means lol.. So I gotch

I'm not a professional skier/tuber or anything like that.. The boat is simply to have fun on with my family/friends, get out on the lake etc. I'm sure that everyone here knows what I'm talking about.. I know that not everyone here is a professional skier regardless of what they say lol!!

US COAST GUARD!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post

Tubing? behind an MC surely you jest...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
East Texas has steered you properly. The 92-93 is the carb Ford 351. In 94 and 95, fuel injection was introduced but on the GM 350 engine. But they also offered the Corvette LT1 as well which might give you that little extra "something"....

The 92-95 205 is an excellent hull and provided you find one in great condition, you are far ahead of trying to buy a newer 214. The 214 would be your next step if you feel like the 205 is starting to get cramped. I have 3 girls and my 94 205 is awesome!

The 96+ 205's have a slighly different hull and are considered slighly less desireable for the ski wake but more desireable for the wakeboarding wake (when compared to the 92-95 era). However, it still does have a great ski wake.

Once you get closer to the 99-2000 model year, you need to really pay attention to the interior and the stitching. For some reason, this era had some problems. Whereas the earlier years did not. Good luck!

1994 205, LT1
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
We are much like you--not hardcore but wanted a boat that was solid and chose MC based on outings aboard a friend's 197. We bought our own 2007 197TT w/tower last fall and could not be happier. Boat runs like a top and is solid in every way.

We're a family of five and the boat is rated for 7 pax, so we don't have a lot of extra room for bringing guests (although we can get four adults and five kids aboard comfortably). There's a terrific looking 2008 214 down at Bay Area Watersports that you might check out. . . price seems right at $40k.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
East Texas has steered you properly. The 92-93 is the carb Ford 351. In 94 and 95, fuel injection was introduced but on the GM 350 engine. But they also offered the Corvette LT1 as well which might give you that little extra "something"....

The 92-95 205 is an excellent hull and provided you find one in great condition, you are far ahead of trying to buy a newer 214. The 214 would be your next step if you feel like the 205 is starting to get cramped. I have 3 girls and my 94 205 is awesome!

The 96+ 205's have a slighly different hull and are considered slighly less desireable for the ski wake but more desireable for the wakeboarding wake (when compared to the 92-95 era). However, it still does have a great ski wake.

Once you get closer to the 99-2000 model year, you need to really pay attention to the interior and the stitching. For some reason, this era had some problems. Whereas the earlier years did not. Good luck!
Great information. Thanks!! I didn't realize all the hull changes that they did.. Crazy!

US COAST GUARD!!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post

^^+1 - easty got it down as do many other here..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
We are much like you--not hardcore but wanted a boat that was solid and chose MC based on outings aboard a friend's 197. We bought our own 2007 197TT w/tower last fall and could not be happier. Boat runs like a top and is solid in every way.

We're a family of five and the boat is rated for 7 pax, so we don't have a lot of extra room for bringing guests (although we can get four adults and five kids aboard comfortably). There's a terrific looking 2008 214 down at Bay Area Watersports that you might check out. . . price seems right at $40k.
I'll have to check it out.. But is it Blue with Yellow?? Post al ink if you can.

US COAST GUARD!!