Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None :(
Wife said I could buy a boat :)

Well after much debate and talking it over with the wife she said that I can buy a boat before I PCS (Military) next year. I can't even think of another company besides a Mastercraft to buy.. My dad had Prostar 190 back when I was 2-3yrs old (sold it due to divorce) so with that, is the only boat that comes to mind. I know they are boat that'll last forever when you take care of that.. Luckily I'm OCD about everything.. Especially things I build (like my car haha).

The thing that is crazy is prices for the newer (bigger) boats.. 80-100k is not doable to me at all lol.. At first I was looking for a used X45, 245V but nothing really comes up in a good price range.. Then I started thinking, I don't really need a boat that big.. It's just my wife, my son, and I, and if I get to move back home maybe my sister and bro in law.. So I started looking and the Prostar 214 looks like the winner to me.. They are beautiful, not all decal'd up, and just really clean looking boats. I don't need all the electronic stuff, towers, huge sound system etc.. That's just over the top for me. Just a nice low key boat to get out on the lake and have some fun..

So with the Prostar 214 in mind is this going to be a good all around family boat?? I know ski-ing it'll be awesome, I know that tubing will be sweet too. That's pretty much all we'll use it for.. My son is still young so when he gets older down the road maybe we'll get a bigger boat etc.. Anyways I built the boat with my wife, but there is no price tag ahahaha. I'm curious if anyone has a rough guesstimate on what they typically run. I was assuming in the 50k range? Really the only upgrade was the 6.2 engine.. I'm 260lbs so it's gotta pull me up lol

Any help would be great.. People who have a Prostar 214 please post pics.. Love the lines of them..

US COAST GUARD!!

Last edited by 98 Saleen Cobra; 03-12-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
Think you might be a bit low with the $50k if you are considering a new boat being built. Her is a nice x-14v for consideration and a price point.

Great news on the GO to get a boat.

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehi...lersite#ar_top
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
That's when I got my boat, when the wife said I could... Sad but true...

50K is too low for a new X14V, IMO Good luck!

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Do you ski, wakeboard, surf, all of the above? There are less expensive boats that can let you do everything on the water that the new boats can do (sometimes better) for a lot less money.

Welcome to the forum.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm sorry I should have specified.. I meant Prostar 214 ahahaha

I edited my post.. It's something that I'm seriously looking into now.. Stopped modding my Cobra for now, and have a good bit in savings for a down payment.. I haven't seen many Used Prostar 214's for sale.. But hoping to maybe pick up a low hr's one at somepoint.

I ski, and tube and that's about it..

US COAST GUARD!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
MC Hero

Since you have a crew of three, consider an older 197 or 205. The 197 will have a better ski wake and the 205 will be close. Both are open bow, but without that awkward, can't get to your engine seat behind the driver's seat. You still get the open bow.

From the car talk, it seems like you like things on the faster, nimbler side. The 214s serve a purpose for people who like to ski and need a ton of seating. But that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

I haven't really thought much on the 197's and the 205's.. That's a good call.. I'll have to look into those too. Yea I wouldn't need a ton of seating so to speak.. At least most of the time.. Now if I move back to home there will be family coming out with me. At any given time I could have as many as 6-7 people, maybe 8.. So I wouldn't totally count the seating thing out of there..

I have some time to think more about it obviously, I probably won't buy until after the summer where they are trying to push them out.. Luckily here in AL it doesn't get to cold lol..

US COAST GUARD!!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 Saleen Cobra View Post
I haven't really thought much on the 197's and the 205's.. That's a good call.. I'll have to look into those too. Yea I wouldn't need a ton of seating so to speak.. At least most of the time.. Now if I move back to home there will be family coming out with me. At any given time I could have as many as 6-7 people, maybe 8.. So I wouldn't totally count the seating thing out of there..

I have some time to think more about it obviously, I probably won't buy until after the summer where they are trying to push them out.. Luckily here in AL it doesn't get to cold lol..
Well the 197 and 205 will still hold 10-12 people, so you won't run out of seats. Check out the 209/x9 also... might fine a good boat for a lot less coin.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM
MC Hero

Yeah, think useable seating. You can get 2--3 in the observer seat of a 197, one in the driver's seat, and 2 in the bow, and still ski from the pylon. You're not getting any more from the 214 or the 205 (assuming they have a jump seat). 205s are lighter. The older ones ski better than the newer ones and the oldest 205s (92--93) were lighter and carbureted, making them very easy to modify and boost hp.

/did I get your attention with that last part?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 03-12-2013, 11:26 PM
MC Hero

Yeah, think useable seating. You can get 2--3 in the observer seat of a 197, one in the driver's seat, and 2 in the bow, and still ski from the pylon. You're not getting any more from the 214 or the 205 (assuming they have a jump seat). 205s are lighter. The older ones ski better than the newer ones and the oldest 205s (92--93) were lighter and carbureted, making them very easy to modify and boost hp.

/did I get your attention with that last part?

This is my old 93 205. Excellent ski wake. Carbureted 351HO with right around 300 hp (estimated).

Only reason I sold it was that I wanted a closed bow.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club