Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Skier, 1976, Ford 351
1995 Ps 190 with corvette LT-1 questions

To start out this is my first post here, but I have been a mastercraft guy all my life. I own a 1997 mastercraft prostar 205 and a 1976 mastercraft skier. I have also owned an '87 Mastercraft prostar 190.
Well we are looking at a 1995 prostar 190 with 660 hours, it's at a dealer who says, "boat has been garage kept and babied all its life" but as we ask more questions we find that their shop found "hairline cracks on the block" nothing about leaky heads (killer with lt-1s) but they only did their evaluation on a garden hose at idle... Come on guys.. Really?!

So what are the specifics that I need to look for when I take it on the lake with my technician this weekend, iv owned older boats and nothing with the 100% electronic ignition. I really want to love this boat because its an absolute beauty. But iv heard so many things that could cost me thousands with the LT-1.

P.s.

I am going to be the jerk who posts the same post here and in the general discussion board. I just want to know what to keep in mind before the weekend.

Thanks,
KcSwerver
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM
TT Newbie

1995 prostar 190 with Corvette LT-1 questions.

To start out this is my first post here, but I have been a mastercraft guy all my life. I own a 1997 mastercraft prostar 205 and a 1976 mastercraft skier. I have also owned an '87 Mastercraft prostar 190.
Well we are looking at a 1995 prostar 190 with 660 hours, it's at a dealer who says, "boat has been garage kept and babied all its life" but as we ask more questions we find that their shop found "hairline cracks on the block" nothing about leaky heads (killer with lt-1s) but they only did their evaluation on a garden hose at idle... Come on guys.. Really?!

So what are the specifics that I need to look for when I take it on the lake with my technician this weekend, iv owned older boats and nothing with the 100% electronic ignition. I really want to love this boat because its an absolute beauty. But iv heard so many things that could cost me thousands with the LT-1.

Thanks,
KcSwerver
Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: In the hunt!
Hey man, I've got a 96 Prostar 190 with the LT1. Motors great, electrical not so much. I've had quite a bit of electrical issues with it. I would def recommend the corvette motor over this one. I feel like the did a better job putting that one together.

However, my motor has been great! Here is a pic of mine.

Name:  Boat 3.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  82.1 KB
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96prostar190 View Post
Hey man, I've got a 96 Prostar 190 with the LT1. Motors great, electrical not so much. I've had quite a bit of electrical issues with it. I would def recommend the corvette motor over this one. I feel like the did a better job putting that one together.

However, my motor has been great! Here is a pic of mine.

Attachment 90983
Don't know if it's just your wording or not, but the motor in the picture is not an LT1. The corvette motor and the LT1 are the same thing.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
What's your technician about?

I think the head stuff really does require pulling to inspect. Its hard to speculate if the heads have been damaged by overheating until you have em on a surface plate.

If the boat doesn't have the history/documentation it should be priced accordingly.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53013

I feel like ive read this before....
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
TT Newbie

We were going to try to get it pressurized and see if they are leaking. not enough?

You have read it again. I put it in both threads, general and engine categories.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
I would make the dealership stand behind the boat they are selling... I am not sure if a compression check would reveal hairline crack(s) in the heads or not -- I am sure someone on here will be able to answer that question with more detail.... I would ask the dealership to offer some type of warranty on the boat/engine...

Hook Em' Horns
Old 03-12-2013, 06:25 PM
TT Newbie

The dealer is a reputable one, but does not have a shop facility on site, they commission a nearby boat shop to do service. That's the shady part, not the dealer but their commissioned shop.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcSwerver View Post
We were going to try to get it pressurized and see if they are leaking. not enough?

You have read it again. I put it in both threads, general and engine categories.
Most all cracks leak sooner or later. I'd pass on this "shady part" boat and service gig. If you get screwed, it's not their fault.....

Do a mag particle test on the exterior of the block and heads where suspect area is located. An easy NDE method to find cracks.... Like I said, all cracks leak sooner or later regardless of a pressure test. That is useless...unless you do a truely engineered hydrostatic pressure test, of which I am aware from monitoring hydros on steam supply piping in the power plants. The test you're talking about is precisely what I would expect from a shade tree gimmick.

Look elsewhere... and / or see below. These are cracks in a head my friend recently replaced. This is what a mag particle test will show (the green powder lines in the cracks).

Personally, I'd never consider an engine with a cracked block or heads (regardless of evidence of leak or no leak). That's just not my idea of performance expectations in conjunction with Joe-Bob's next door service work... damn..........

$0.02

Attached Images

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 03-12-2013 at 07:42 PM.