Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Ya it looks hokey.

But instead of investing in a whole new trailer and all that it entails - have you considered just modifying the bunks a bit? You could simply make a wood block to sit in there if you were a hick, which would transfer the force of the boat down to the frame of the trailer.

If you wanted to do it nice, you could probably source a rubber block for the same duty.

Or cover a block in carpet then put it in there! That's the ticket.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Also... a decent metal guy could probably cut the trailer, remove the rear, remove several inches of frame box, then attach the rear, grind and paint those welds.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
How about posting a few more pictures of the whole boat and trailer along with some close-ups of the mid and front portion of the trailer. This might help settle things a bit. Too much speculation going on.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special $699
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Figure out where a similar boat is positioned on trailer relative to the axle and go from there. Without doing the math, i would guess a slightly longer tongue is better than boat a foot forward.

Tow vehicle selection will have impact on tongue sensitivity too. F350 won't care about tongue weight as much as a small SUV for example.

If the bunks are too long in back, you could weld reinforcements forward on the rear bunk brackets to prevent risk of the wood busting. Or shorten the trailer as suggested.

Either way, if the trailer is in decent shape, you can fix. Or use as is while you look for the right one. Just keep an eye on the rear bunks....
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 SportStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96prostar190 View Post
I have a 96 Prostar and the trailer I have is for a 2001 trailer. I got a great deal on this boat and I've had it for a year now but I need to get it on the right size trailer. Any ideas where I can find one that is either A) the right size or B) have one made for the boat.

Thanks!Attachment 90974
I had the exact same issue at this time last year. I bought the boat and the PO had just bought a newly used (misfit) trailer. I took it to a weld shop and had them move the bow stop back.

Here's the link to my thread about the work done: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=48224

This changed the tongue weight from somewhere around 600 lbs. to somewhere are 200 lbs. Since the last set of updated pictures, I grabbed a $5 can of red Rustoleum paint and covered all of the welding and it looks great. If memory serves, the weld job was under $200...maybe $180 or something.

I am very pleased with my decision to move it back. Let me know if you have any questions.

1998 SportStar
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: In the hunt!
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will take more photos this afternoon and attach them to this thread.

Sounds like the best case is moving it back on the trailer! Ill play around with this as well!

Pics to come this afternoon.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
I had the exact same issue at this time last year. I bought the boat and the PO had just bought a newly used (misfit) trailer. I took it to a weld shop and had them move the bow stop back.

Here's the link to my thread about the work done: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=48224

This changed the tongue weight from somewhere around 600 lbs. to somewhere are 200 lbs. Since the last set of updated pictures, I grabbed a $5 can of red Rustoleum paint and covered all of the welding and it looks great. If memory serves, the weld job was under $200...maybe $180 or something.

I am very pleased with my decision to move it back. Let me know if you have any questions.
Dude i read your thread and sounds like we had the exact same problem. Ill try what you did. That sounds best. As I said I'll add pics later today so you can see, but literally the exact same issues.

On a side note, it looks like from those pics you were in new brunfels, we use to take our boat to Tx ski ranch for maintenance.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 SportStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96prostar190 View Post
Dude i read your thread and sounds like we had the exact same problem. Ill try what you did. That sounds best. As I said I'll add pics later today so you can see, but literally the exact same issues.

On a side note, it looks like from those pics you were in new brunfels, we use to take our boat to Tx ski ranch for maintenance.
You just about nailed it. The first pic of the boat sitting on the trailer is the day we bought it and that was actually in New Braunfels. The ones under the bridge are in Seguin.

Where do you live now?

Keep us updated on your progress!

1998 SportStar
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
You just about nailed it. The first pic of the boat sitting on the trailer is the day we bought it and that was actually in New Braunfels. The ones under the bridge are in Seguin.

Where do you live now?

Keep us updated on your progress!
Oh nice dude! I've taken our boat out there a couple of times, actually got stuck on the ramp there when I had a 2WD truck haha. I'm up in Little Rock AR now for about two more months for work.

Your boat looks great!! I'm jonesin to get out of work right now so I can mess around w the boat. Ill make sure to post pics, anything u want to see in specific?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Well as I thought, it is a 190 trailer. Maybe the tag is replaced but it looks pretty solid.

Name:  photo (7).jpg
Views: 54
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  photo (3).jpg
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  photo (4).jpg
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  photo (8).jpg
Size:  64.3 KB