Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-06-2018, 04:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Maristar 215
Vinegar

Just thought I'd pass along my experience.

Two summers ago I had a bit of organic build up on the bottom of my hull. Tried deoxidizer and it wasn't cutting it. Tried acetone - nothing (works good for black rub rail marks, though). Then I remembered a friend of mine would use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water at the end of a session to wipe the boat down with. So I grabbed a bottle of white vinegar from the pantry and - Voila! Applied it with a sponge with a green scrubby side and some elbow grease and cleaned it right up. Sure I smelt as fresh as a summers eve afterwards, but I didn't have to worry about rushing to the ER if I got any in my eyes, mouth, lungs, or skin.

After this "discovery" I can't even comprehend why anyone would use muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Sure it might take a little more time/effort, but isn't your health and safety more important?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Great tip. I will try and see how this works! Thank you!
Old 04-06-2018, 07:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Yes, many manufactures try to disguise white vinegar in their "Snake oil" ~ great for hard water spots, good to know about organic growth too!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X25 w/Gen2 and Surf Pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbudz View Post
Just thought I'd pass along my experience.

Two summers ago I had a bit of organic build up on the bottom of my hull. Tried deoxidizer and it wasn't cutting it. Tried acetone - nothing (works good for black rub rail marks, though). Then I remembered a friend of mine would use a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water at the end of a session to wipe the boat down with. So I grabbed a bottle of white vinegar from the pantry and - Voila! Applied it with a sponge with a green scrubby side and some elbow grease and cleaned it right up. Sure I smelt as fresh as a summers eve afterwards, but I didn't have to worry about rushing to the ER if I got any in my eyes, mouth, lungs, or skin.

After this "discovery" I can't even comprehend why anyone would use muratic (hydrochloric) acid. Sure it might take a little more time/effort, but isn't your health and safety more important?
I spray the vinegar mixture on the rear each time to keep the spots off(black).....works like a charm. Shamois the rest of it down.
Did it with my jet skis as well when I had them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2018, 11:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
I also use 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning my boat. Works great with our hard water. Home Depot sells "cleaning vinegar", it's pretty inexpensive. The only problem with this cleaning solution...makes me hungry for pickles :-)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I'm going to have to give this a try for water spots. Sometimes the only way I can get them off is with polish and a lot of elbow grease. So just to clarify...50/50 mixture of vinegar and water, spay on and wipe off?

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Has to be white vinegar...Though, people use 50/50, but 100% straight vinegar works also and rinse with water right afterwards, do in sections. 100% is more stinky though, depends on how heavy the water spots are, 100 will work faster. A gallon goes a long way and is very cheap.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 NXT20
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try it shortly. I use the same ratio to clean my counters at home. I buy the white vinegar at Costco.