Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
1996 Mastercraft ProStar 205 Restoration

I recently purchased a 96 ProStar 205 that had been ridden hard and put up wet... Literally. Whoever owned it before the previous owner had run it in salt water and left to sit for 2 years. The most unfortunate thing about this boat is that it had a flush kit that simply could have been used to avoid all the damage. The PO purchased it thinking he could make a quick flip, until he realized that EVERYTHING mechanical had to be replaced. I purchased it thinking i could get by with a long block, but it wasn't so. I ended up scrapping the engine. I was at the Huntsville boat show and ran into the guys from Rambo Marine who mentioned that they had an LS1 Engine at their shop which they had pulled out of a '95 190. They gave me a stellar deal for engine+installation, so I had them go ahead and put in a drip-less shaft seal and repair the rudder that was frozen. I got it back this weekend and I was pleased with the work they did. I have a long way to go but I intend to bring this boat back to life. I am very particular about my boats and am excited to get this one in tip top shape. The next step is getting the upholstery replaced by copy-cats and replacing the carpet. Someone sealed the swim platform and I am contemplating sanding and oiling. I am excited about the next steps on this boat and I will keep you guys updated with photos. Quick question, I would like to replace the steering wheel with a wood grain wheel, does anyone know where I can get one that will work with my setup? Also, I'd like to get the newer style rocker switches to replace the current ones, does anyone know if they will fit? I am thinking new dimension tower but there is not much room in front of the windshield to mount, where has everyone else mounted theirs? Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Good looking boat sorry about the salt damage, as far as the steering wheel, it will use a grant steering wheel, or you can try livorsi.com they have a bunch of custom parts.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-11-2013, 12:19 AM
TT Regular

Also, does anyone know where I can order the engine hatch hinges that have a quick release pin for easy removal? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
Also, does anyone know where I can order the engine hatch hinges that have a quick release pin for easy removal? Thanks.
Search "Take apart motor box hinge" or go to Amazon or Ebay. There are many choices.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Good looking boat sorry about the salt damage, as far as the steering wheel, it will use a grant steering wheel, or you can try livorsi.com they have a bunch of custom parts.
Great info, I just found one there. I noticed the mirrored finished decal in your photo, how does one get that decal? thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: In the hunt!
Great boat man, sorry about the salt water damage!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
Great info, I just found one there. I noticed the mirrored finished decal in your photo, how does one get that decal? thanks!
You can contact Jim at bay area watersports he's the guy who made it for me. 877-817-7774 http://www.bayareawatersports.com/contact_us.asp

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
This is the match to my '97. Althought you have the upgraded motor, nice! Not sure what switches your looking for but I found a site that sells the original ones cheep.

http://www.delcity.net/store/LED-Ill...tches/p_796736

I think I purchased 5 delivered for under $30. I added a few in the glass infront of the throttle.

Good luck with your rebuild, I will be watching for your interior photos. Dont need interior work yet but would like to see your ideas on upgrading.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the info on the switches, I'm contemplating which kind I am going to use. If I keep the current panels, I will replace with those. I am hoping to get the gauge panels replaced with wood simulated panels with the labels etched in. These are the ones I am thinking about using, http://www.iboats.com/ROCKER-ON-OFF-...view_id.933215. I am excited to get copycats to replace the interior, I am going to get away from the grey vinyl, I a, going to try to get back to white mostly with black and green accents to match the hull. There is quite a bit of work to be done on this boat, but nothing I am scared of. Pretty excited actually to get everything started. I am looking at Kyle's motor box vent with the led cup holders, those things are awesome.

Last edited by Tateau18; 03-11-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Tateau18: Check Great Lakes Marine on ebay. Every once and a while he has a wood grain dash from a Sammy Duvall these are the inserts your looking for on the prostar dash. Didnt realize this is the green accents, mine is black and grey, still nice boat. I actually wanted the grey interior (dove grey) as the oils from sunscreen will not show as bad as a white material. However that new carbon white they use is really nice. Viper Customs is laying down some nice interiors too. Guys on this site have some reallly nice photos of their boats through the process.