Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,742
What are you dipping these pieces in?
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,255
...........
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
What are you dipping these pieces in?
Well water. I pay to have it done. I do not do it myself.

Product gets sanded to a perfect finish.

Then primed with automotive grade primer.

Sanded again

Primed again

Base coat any color mine is black.

Dipped in water with a film floating on water that has an activator sprayed on it.

Then product is put into a rinsing machine.

Product gets several layers of high quality clear coat.

Product goes to buffing dept.



It is not zip zip fast or cheap.


Guys do NOT expect a $10 paint job. This is not cheap.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Yellow X9's Avatar
Yellow X9 Yellow X9 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Boat: Mastercraft X-9 05
Location: Southeast
Posts: 507
Hydro dipping ?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow X9 View Post
Hydro dipping ?
Yes. It's not super expensive like hundreds of dollars but when we talk about me building each unit by hand or CNC maching and I'm footing the bill per unit and shipping and driving 45 min each way to dipper these cup holders are not going to be free.

It takes 10-15 hours to build one and a ton of sanding. A CNC product will cost money to run a product.


I'm not doing this to make a ton of money but my time has some kind of value to it. If I'm paying for shipping and carting these things around town then I need to make sure my costs are covered.

If folks want one without cups or lights then price can be adjusted accordingly.

I only think that is fair and if I were purchasing one then I would expect someone's work and efforts to be compensated.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:37 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 8,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Yes. It's not super expensive like hundreds of dollars but when we talk about me building each unit by hand or CNC maching and I'm footing the bill per unit and shipping and driving 45 min each way to dipper these cup holders are not going to be free.

It takes 10-15 hours to build one and a ton of sanding. A CNC product will cost money to run a product.


I'm not doing this to make a ton of money but my time has some kind of value to it. If I'm paying for shipping and carting these things around town then I need to make sure my costs are covered.

If folks want one without cups or lights then price can be adjusted accordingly.

I only think that is fair and if I were purchasing one then I would expect someone's work and efforts to be compensated.
I wouldn't want or expect you to do these for nothing. I was just wondering the process
__________________
'97 Prostar 190 - LT-1

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 PM
TxsRiverRat's Avatar
TxsRiverRat TxsRiverRat is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2011
Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Location: Southwest
Posts: 3,763
Honestly, with as much time and materials as he has in these, 450 to 500 shouldn't be out of the question once you add shipping, time and gas...
__________________
What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Kyle's Avatar
Kyle Kyle is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Location: Fort Worth, TEXAS
Posts: 3,255
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I wouldn't want or expect you to do these for nothing. I was just wondering the process
Well thank you for the reasonable thinking and I was not thinking that you wanted it free

Process is very cool to watch. I watched them dip mine. I was like way cool.

The shop had all kinds of motorcycle parts, guns, car parts, etc everywhere that were getting coated. I was totally like no freaking way. Who thinks of this kind of technology. There are smart mofo's out there.
__________________
Rollin' Gangsta Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 92 Prostar
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
What are you dipping these pieces in?
John, its called Hydro dipping.
http://www.hydro-dip.com/
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Rockman's Avatar
Rockman Rockman is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Location: SW Burbs of Chi-Town
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Honestly, with as much time and materials as he has in these, 450 to 500 shouldn't be out of the question once you add shipping, time and gas...
I'm out...that is the price of the new prop we need ...I know the costs cover time and effort of everyone involved but too steep for me at this point.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 PM.