Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
Smile Fuel tank overflow hardware

On an 87 Prostar there is a circular chrome gas tank overflow on the stern. I have looked at several in boat photos online and they all look like mine, and shop thinks water may be coming in when slowing down. Is there any mechanism in the circular overflow that keeps water from entering? The newer MC's have what appears to be a covered vent, yet this one appears open to the backwash but I don't know what is inside. I don't want the shop replacing it with another type if it is original and works, but how do you tell if it works?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborseal View Post
On an 87 Prostar there is a circular chrome gas tank overflow on the stern. I have looked at several in boat photos online and they all look like mine, and shop thinks water may be coming in when slowing down. Is there any mechanism in the circular overflow that keeps water from entering? The newer MC's have what appears to be a covered vent, yet this one appears open to the backwash but I don't know what is inside. I don't want the shop replacing it with another type if it is original and works, but how do you tell if it works?
As much as I know (which is little) your current overflow vent has been like that for years (across the board). I say that to say this: I have been using these things for a long time and never had an issue with water intrusion through the overflow. I work a boat hard so my assessment does not have a buttercup twist. I have never known of a check valve or a flapper or similar in the vent or the hose. It's a straight shot. The newer chrome is likely the same from all I have seen.

It works because it works for what it was intended. The only way it would not is to tape it off, a dirt-dobber to build in it, or close it off in another way.

You can also get another person to old their hand over it while you fill the fuel cell and you'll see fuel back-splash (more) out the filler neck (air has nowhere to escape). Those filler necks are already crappy to have to fill through.

I have a 93 that has the covered vent port and I don't really consider that a newer boat. I have had several 70s & 80s models with the open port opening.

Your mileage may vary.

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 03-28-2018 at 08:25 PM.