Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-star
Boat delivered with 50 more hours than advertised??

I bought a 2009 x-star in Canada. It was advertised with 117 hrs. When I picked it up, May 2 prior to the ice breaking and frost warms still a concern, it went straight to a storage compound. I put it in the water a month later on June 6. Started the boat. 164 hrs on it. And yes I should have verified it before I left the dealership. There is also a loud harmonic sounds associated with rotation of the prop shaft at idle in forward drive. The boat is currently at the dealership having this issue addressed.

The dealership understands my anger. The sales staff, manager and owner are aware of the situation. They provided a trade in sheet for the boat showing 117hr. Obviously someone used this boat for demos or after hour fun.

I might not have chosen this particular boat for the purchase price if I had know its true hours as I was looking at other boats, specifically a 2008 x-star with a larger engine, more tower speakers and 212hrs for around the same price from that dealership.

If I sell this boat in the future it will always be in the next hundred hour mark by 50 earlier than I expected which will ultimately hurt my pocketbook.

I will be at the dealership to discuss with them how they are going to compensate me in next week.

Any input or thoughts on how much compensation would be fair is greatly appreciated. I did all my own maintenance on my last x-star and plan to in this one as well. So I want either a partial refund or parts/accessories as compensation not maintenance. Please don't ask which dealership, as I am going to give them an opportunity to make this right before I slander their name. I wrote this in my iphone so please forgive any typos.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-11-2014, 01:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
I'd expect some compensation back, for sure. It'll be tough to determine how much is fair, as you can't just look at boats with similar hours and options, as listing price and sale price are two completely different things. If it's the dealer I think it is, I'm quite sure they'll look after you though.

You could post up options your boat has, I'm sure some of us will have a look see at what's out there and post them up for you, just for comparisons sake.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Find out how many hours are on the MOTOR vs. what the tach / display shows. That is the most important # in the end.

Our 190 has an hour variance of 220 hours between the tach and motor (motor being less) due to the PO having the wiring messed up and running the radio for 220 hours.

Last edited by Rockman; 06-11-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
I know the feeling, when you buy a new boat (or any toy) your head is swimming and sometimes simple details are missed, mine had a heater listed on the sales sheet, felt dumb I did not notice there was not one until it was in my driveway. After a bit of hassle, dealer put one in.
Tough call on what the value of 50 hours is-when it has 300 hours, will 350 mean anything on re-sale? I would be most upset that I chose that boat over the other more optioned boat because of hours.
Maybe push for a full winterize and tune up and some credit in the pro-shop for a dry-suit or gear-something big ticket that they have lots of margin on and you need or want that you might not be inclined to drop the $$ on.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2009 MCX
I would be very upset too and you deserve some compensation for their error.

I would request a refund or credit with the dealer. Personally, I would ask for $5,000 (ie: 50 hours x $100 per hour = $5,000). If it was a 10 year old boat the depreciation would be less, but for a newer boat with low hours, I think $5,000 of depreciation is fair. You probably won't receive that kind of refund / credit from them, but that is where I would start...Good luck!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Find out how many hours are on the MOTOR vs. what the tach / display shows. That is the most important # in the end.

Our 190 has an hour variance of 220 hours between the tach and motor (motor being less) due to the PO having the wiring messed up and running the radio for 220 hours.
Ding, Ding, Ding.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 PM
TT Newbie

You may be correct about the engine vs boat hours but the sales associate got in the boat to check it himself. He seemed very unimpressed.

My new to me 2009 X-star has perfect pass, 350hp engine, 2 JL tower speakers with lights, bimini top, heater, fiberglass swim deck, 2 batteries, bow filler cushion, BIG display, KGB ballast and a tandem trailer with decent rims. Purchase price was CAD $63,xxx plus tax. They knocked a few thousand off the advertised price.

I agree with the hour comparison. 50 hrs is not a lot if the boat has 500 hrs. In my situation the 46 hrs are 40% more hours than advertised. It is ALOT.

There was another X-star with all the above but had four tower speakers with lights, the 450hp engine, 212 hrs, teak swim deck, and was a year older (2008) but was the same price.

AP77, Thanks. Its reassuring someone else sees it the way I do. I'm guessing my x-star was $90,000 plus or minus new. conservatively 85,000 new - 65,000 used = 20,000 depreciation over 117 hrs. $170/hour depreciation. Yes, that trend levels off with time but it is pretty steep at the beginning of a boats life. My 2001 loaded X-star was bought new for 59,800 plus tax. I bought it from a friend at steal of a deal for $25,000 7 years later with 373 hrs. that was $93/hr depreciation.

I didn't agree to take that loss on my books, The loss goes in their books.

Last edited by TravisQ; 06-11-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Just realized I should have posted this in general discussion. If a moderator reads this, please move it. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
[quote=TravisQ;1054229]You may be correct about the engine vs boat hours but the sales associate got in the boat to check it himself. He seemed very unimpressed. QUOTE]

How did the sales associate very the hours?

50 hours is 50 hours no matter hour you look at it. As long as you got the boat you wanted for a price that makes you happy and there are no issues with the boat otherwise, the 50 hours will just irritate you for a while. Don't let something like this overshadow the fact you got an awesome boat and will have plenty of time to make memories that will be happier than this issue.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Either feel good about what you settle for, or let them have it back. It's not as advertised. One or the other but be prepared to hand them the keys back. Downside is it's prime boat selling season, so don't be shocked if they take it back!