Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM
DisguisedRope's Avatar
DisguisedRope DisguisedRope is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Sacrificial Zincs

I recently purchased a 2008 X-2 and will be using it in brackish water. I fell like I should have some zincs on it but am not sure which ones to get and where to put them on the boat. I am coming from an i/o and it had a few that were easy to swap out on the lower unit. I've seen that they make ones for the prop shaft and some for rudders. Would putting those on be sufficient? Open to any and all recommendations. TIA
__________________
~Insert clever signature here~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM
jsturvey's Avatar
jsturvey jsturvey is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Location: South Central Texas
Posts: 486
First, zincs will be useless unless you bond / ground everything together. Strut, rudder, motor...EVERYTHING. I'm not certain how much wear and tear they'll take in brackish water, but I'd be using them if I was in this situation as well. If the boat is going to be out of the water when not in use, then you should be fine with a shaft zinc and maybe a rudder zinc.
__________________
1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2017, 05:45 PM
Mastercraftdave's Avatar
Mastercraftdave Mastercraftdave is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 2,883
if it has tabs of any sort, put a zinc on them,

The new models don't put a zinc on the shaft or the rudder.

there is square zinc that is put between the exhaust flaps that is nice size. if you search zincs on MC Parts Depot they will pull up for you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Wicker68's Avatar
Wicker68 Wicker68 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 261
This would go between your exhaust flaps on the back:

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/an...nla-use-203908

This would go on your propeller shaft pending its the right size:

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/an...-bolts-2009-12

That's the only since that is on my boat that came factory from MC. My aftermarket surf tabs have zinc anodes on them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:06 PM
DisguisedRope's Avatar
DisguisedRope DisguisedRope is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
First, zincs will be useless unless you bond / ground everything together. Strut, rudder, motor...EVERYTHING. I'm not certain how much wear and tear they'll take in brackish water, but I'd be using them if I was in this situation as well. If the boat is going to be out of the water when not in use, then you should be fine with a shaft zinc and maybe a rudder zinc.
If I put a zinc on the prop shaft, is that not already grounded to the motor through the transmission? Should be easy enough to attach a wire from the rudder to the block as well. I usually drop the boat in the water Thursday or Friday afternoon and pull it out Sunday or Monday evening. Freshwater flush the engine and inside everyday though.
__________________
~Insert clever signature here~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM
DisguisedRope's Avatar
DisguisedRope DisguisedRope is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
if it has tabs of any sort, put a zinc on them,

The new models don't put a zinc on the shaft or the rudder.

there is square zinc that is put between the exhaust flaps that is nice size. if you search zincs on MC Parts Depot they will pull up for you.
No tabs on my X-2. How do the square zincs mount? Is there a mounting bracket that gets installed then they bolt up to it?
__________________
~Insert clever signature here~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM
DisguisedRope's Avatar
DisguisedRope DisguisedRope is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker68 View Post
This would go between your exhaust flaps on the back:

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/an...nla-use-203908

This would go on your propeller shaft pending its the right size:

https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/an...-bolts-2009-12

That's the only since that is on my boat that came factory from MC. My aftermarket surf tabs have zinc anodes on them.
I'll measure my prop shaft with my calipers when I get a chance and order the corresponding size.
__________________
~Insert clever signature here~
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:55 PM
rgardjr1's Avatar
rgardjr1 rgardjr1 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 1,289
My 2006 is a Saltwater Series MS200 (X2). It has zincs on the rudder, prop shaft and the heat exchanger in the closed cooling system.
__________________
2006 Maristar 200 SS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 PM
DisguisedRope's Avatar
DisguisedRope DisguisedRope is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
My 2006 is a Saltwater Series MS200 (X2). It has zincs on the rudder, prop shaft and the heat exchanger in the closed cooling system.
Is your rudder grounded to the engine block too?
__________________
~Insert clever signature here~
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM
rgardjr1's Avatar
rgardjr1 rgardjr1 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisguisedRope View Post
Is your rudder grounded to the engine block too?
I haven't ever looked. I'll try to remember to check when I put the boat back together this year.

Here is a picture I found from the add when I bought the boat. There is a zinc on the strut and swim platform brackets too.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2006 Maristar 200 SS
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 PM.