Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 87 prostar
Exclamation all wakeboard tower info

Hey everyone, so this is my first post as I just couldn't resist to bring this up one more time, i read every thread and every post and I'm just not satisfied, I just bought my first boat, an 87 prostar, love the boat but it needs a tower cause I wake skate and wake surf, which brings us to my question slash dilemma. I know everyone mostly favorites the ND towers, and while i agree they look very nice, as a lot of people has stated it is a steep price when its half what i paid for the boat all together (still have not ruled out this option), i was looking pretty hard at the aerial tower mostly the airborne and the free ride, but its half and half on the feedback, i see videos of the "flex" from some of the towers, but no one goes to show you how they were mounted or if assembled correctly period, also complaints about set screws loosing up every time out, also not stated are these people not using loctite or is these coming loose even when loctite is used?? i just need more complete information on these tower before i rule them out, imracing68j has awesome write up on his tower, but no feedback, did the tower hold up, are you getting shakes rattles or flex, any stress cracking, ect, if anyone can help me out with any info on this, I would truly be grateful, thanks again.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams View Post
Hey everyone, so this is my first post as I just couldn't resist to bring this up one more time, i read every thread and every post and I'm just not satisfied, I just bought my first boat, an 87 prostar, love the boat but it needs a tower cause I wake skate and wake surf,
Warning, be prepared...but I'll go first.

Why do you need tower? Have you considered a pylon extension, that will get the rope up and, IMO much easier to deal with a bimini. I have the same boat ('89) have you actually surfed behind it, 'cause it's marginal at best.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
I second getting a pylon. Mine was 300 bucks, granted I dont do anything behind my boat, it looks much better than a tower would. Plus, ease of storing the pylon vs folding the tower down.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 87 prostar
hey guys, no i haven't actually surfed behind it, but the wake doesn't look horrible, i didn't figure we would be able to let go of the rope but just surf with the rope, Im fine with using the pylon *** it is now for skating, but i like the idea of the tower for wake to wake and for storage, as you know not a lot of room for boards with 4-5 people. also like the idea of hanging some speakers, am i kicking a dead horse here and maybe just trying to make the boat something it isn't, wish i had more money to get a newer boat but don't see that being an option for several years.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Old 09-07-2014, 01:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I've got an 88, and use a pylon. It's got a board rack on it, holds 4 boards. Yeah, the rack is mounted low, and if you don't pay attention, you're going to crack your skull, but as far as I can tell, anything you can do with a tower, you can do with a pylon. And yes, you can mount speakers on a pylon too.
My suggestion is try to find a used pylon (or buy a new one) and try it out for a couple of years. If it's still not working for you, sure, throw down for a tower, but I think you'll be surprised at how much you can do with one. If you're not happy, you can probably sell it and get a decent chunk of your investment back at the end.
G
Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams View Post
hey guys, no i haven't actually surfed behind it, but the wake doesn't look horrible, i didn't figure we would be able to let go of the rope but just surf with the rope, Im fine with using the pylon *** it is now for skating, but i like the idea of the tower for wake to wake and for storage, as you know not a lot of room for boards with 4-5 people. also like the idea of hanging some speakers, am i kicking a dead horse here and maybe just trying to make the boat something it isn't, wish i had more money to get a newer boat but don't see that being an option for several years.
Between the cost of the tower, board racks speakers the price gets up there pretty quick. If you have the $$ go for it. No doubt it's nice to have a place to put boards, etc. I haven't read too many complaints on the Aerial or Monster towers when installed on these boats. Between tower/racks/speakers...say it's $2K. I don't think that's a crazy amount if you are going to keep the boat for a long time.

A tower would be nice for more storage room. But the boat can't carry too many people anyways, so we've just made it work. 5 people, 3 boards, 1 surf board, 2 slalom skis (these 2 are stored under the bow), 1 Yeti cooler. Probably look like the Beverly Hillbillys but WTH.

And, you CAN surf behind it but there is only so much ballast you can add before the handling goes to crap and/or you're dunking the bow. We've had the best luck with the skim style boards and riders under 185 pounds.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Congrats on your first boat! I went with the Fly High Pylon with a board rack on my '88 but that said, I've seen towers look rather good on your model ProStar. Not sure you'd be able to get a good wakesurfing wake though due to the nearly flat hull. Enjoy your MC.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190

Joystick on an 91-94 PS190.

YMMV.

The room you get from getting the boards up out of the pax area and using the high tow point for backseat pax is worth it IMHO.

Don't let the haters get you down with towers on a classic. Just be tasteful and don't **** it up.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 87 prostar 190
Congrats on your new boat . I know your excited about it like I was with my first MC. I thought the 190 was all I needed when I bought it . I wanted a tower to get the boards off the floor but I made my own flyhigh. It works great for everything .i wake board ,wake surf with a ballast and with some people in boat .the wakes ok but now the 190 is to small for us so save year money and totally enjoy what you got . Get all the accessories instead! Lol

Tags
aerial, new dimension, prostar, samson, tower