Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2013, 07:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar
Anyone put a heritage custom trailer under a mastercraft

So this past weekend I'm headed to the lake and lose a wheel. Yep all six lug bolts sheered right off. Had to call a tow truck and pull it up on a roll back. (Pics coming later) Ruined the day. Couldn't find the right bolts. So the shop I left it had had napa order em and got them next morning. I have a single axle trailer and after this I decided I want tandem. Called my dealer which is Yachts to Sea in Nashville, IL about getting a trailer. They said Mastercraft trailers are great but expensive, and I'd be waiting a while. Just so happens Heritage custom trailers (bought out prestige about 5 years ago as well) is only 45 min from me and the dealer and he said they would build one custom to fit for about 1500 cheaper and faster. I'd have in it about 4 weeks. Has anyone had experience with a heritage trailer under a mastercraft x series or any wakeboard boat for that matter. He said they have done a lot for Malibus around here and a couple mastercrafts. I'd like some first hand opinions before I go aftermarket. He said they look great and will customize every option I want. And just a side note after this I'll have a single axle red mastercraft x2 trailer for sale :-)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
I have no firsthand experience but heritage used to make the trailers for Cobalt (not sure if they still do) and if the heritage is good enough for Cobalt I would think they could make a pretty nice one for your Mastercraft.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1368919562376.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  48.7 KB

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

From everything I read they seem great. Just seeing if anyone is using them on here

Old 05-18-2013, 07:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal2vin View Post
So this past weekend I'm headed to the lake and lose a wheel. Yep all six lug bolts sheered right off. Had to call a tow truck and pull it up on a roll back. (Pics coming later) Ruined the day. Couldn't find the right bolts. So the shop I left it had had napa order em and got them next morning. I have a single axle trailer and after this I decided I want tandem. Called my dealer which is Yachts to Sea in Nashville, IL about getting a trailer. They said Mastercraft trailers are great but expensive, and I'd be waiting a while. Just so happens Heritage custom trailers (bought out prestige about 5 years ago as well) is only 45 min from me and the dealer and he said they would build one custom to fit for about 1500 cheaper and faster. I'd have in it about 4 weeks. Has anyone had experience with a heritage trailer under a mastercraft x series or any wakeboard boat for that matter. He said they have done a lot for Malibus around here and a couple mastercrafts. I'd like some first hand opinions before I go aftermarket. He said they look great and will customize every option I want. And just a side note after this I'll have a single axle red mastercraft x2 trailer for sale :-)

Thanks in advance
Sorry to hear about your loss and I definitely know (I've lost a wheel too at about 55 mpg). NOT a fun feeling. That's why I also switched to a dual axle. Just gives me piece of mind that I'm safer. Good luck with the hunt.

I was one of the super rare people (sorry Kyle ) that found some guy who was OK swapping my single axle for a dual axle. Just lucky I guess.

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Attachment 95194

In light of the scoring on the rotor and the fact that it looks like the warning strip is scraping on it, I would say the brakes have been hanging up and making the rotor/brakes/studs extremely hot, which is the reason they failed. When they're heated/cooled that way, especially when they're hot and dipped in the water, they become 'work hardened' and they're no longer elastic, the way they should be. Since they're not "torque to yield" fasteners, this isn't a normal failure and it's not Mastercraft's fault. Assuming someone else will make a better trailer when this was a maintenance issue is denying the cause.

If you have the hardness of the studs tested, I guarantee it's not what it was when they were new. Also, using a Grade 8 stud is a mistake.

What was the torque wrench setting when these were tightened last?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Its not a question of better trailer as far the axles hub and rotor and lug studs go its the fact I want a tande. axle trailer and this seems like the quickest best option for me. And I just tighted em with a spin wrech no torgue wrench. What could cause my breaks to stick like you say?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Its not a question of better trailer as far the axles hub and rotor and lug studs go its the fact I want a tande. axle trailer and this seems like the quickest best option for me. And I just tighted em with a spin wrech no torgue wrench. What could cause my breaks to stick like you say?

Not maintaining them annually is one way to make them stick. You can't get hrakes wet and let them sit for long periods and expect them to not freeze up.

Aluminum rims need to be torqued properly in order to keep them from warping, falling off, etc. Bolts stretch when the nut is tightened. If it stretches too much, it doesn't handle additional stress well and they tend to fail.

Take a rubber band and stretch it a bit. It goes back to its original shape and size, right? Now, stretch it to the point where it can't stretch more. Let it go- it doesn't return to the exact shape and size, right? Do this again and keep stretching it a bit too much for about a minute, then pull harder. It breaks, right? Same thing happens with bolts, but it happens in a much shorter distance because it's elastic, but not as much as other materials. One main difference- when metals are heated and cooled rapidly, their hardness can be changed. If the hardness increases because of repeated hot/cold cycles, it won't be elastic, at all. In fact, it can become brittle.

Lug nuts are supposed to be torqued in three steps- start at 80ft-lb, increase to 95 ft-lb and finally, 105 ft-lb. If you had steel wheels, go ahead and wing it but don't do this with aluminum wheels.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Maybe someone should do a write-up on how to maintain your trailer (annual maintenance and what not) so we could sticky it. I'd really like to have that as a resource.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195
Have you thought of having the axle replaced. I had spindle fail on my 2000 MC trailer and the great folks at Rambo Marine replaced/upgraded my axle that included a rebuild/replacement of the surge brakes for under $700. Just a thought.