Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't tip. Lord knows the wait staff would be grossly underpaid it not for tips. Just saying in the rest of the world, tipping is not a custom and service does not suffer.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
I was 'chastised' in Budapest by a friend for tipping too much - he said it angered the locals if i was throwing money around like that. I just tipped like I do here - normally around 20%, but things were so cheap there, that was still nothing. I bought a round of 3 pints and 3 shots of Jager and it cost me the equivalent of about $6.00 US. I do like the idea of less tipping - I hate the fact that a tip is expected if I get a haircut, full-service car wash, lift a bag into a taxi, etc. I don't mind tipping for servers in a restaurant, but I agree with 'deschemel' about the price of dinners vs what the server gets. It sucks for those who work in less-expensive restaurants, but I guess that's where they applied to work?

Our pizza place doesn't deliver and I don't tip when I pick up my own food either.

I'd like to know more of the story on the receipt in question though - delivery fee, etc. 85 pizzas wouldn't fit in a car, so it's either a van or pick-up truck or catering van, etc.

Great - now I'm hungry...

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Maristar 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't tip. Lord knows the wait staff would be grossly underpaid it not for tips. Just saying in the rest of the world, tipping is not a custom and service does not suffer.
I guess this is the problem then...the owners of restaurants expect the customers to subsidize the wage of their employees...and if the employee goes home with a really poor pay-check, the owner can simply deflect the blame to customers for not tipping enough.

I think the market will dictate where prices can go. If you currently go to a restaurant and pay $30 for a steak....I don't think that the wait staff getting a reasonable wage would allow that steak to become a $40 steak.

I think the whole idea of tipping is a sham! If I go out and drop $120 for dinner I should expect that I will get good service...the service staff should not just provide good service in hopes of a good tip!

There was a time (not that long ago) when I made $16/hour as a critical care paramedic. I have brought people back from the dead....no tip. Maybe I should have brought a steak with me
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Actually, I do work in a "tip based" industry..... but, when I give a quote, verbally or written it is
"$xx.00 per hour with a minimum of two hours, and this quote does not include gratuity for the driver"
But, this is an up front quote, before I roll out.

Some tip, some don't.... many over-tip, so in the long run it averages out the ones that don't tip. And more tend to over-tip because I always go above and beyond the scope of my work.
I've taken groups to parties, and offered to help serve.... offered to make the beer run, go pick up alcohol, ice, etc.... You just try to go above and beyond and let the customer advertise for you.
If they think they got a good value for their money, you'll prosper.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post
I guess this is the problem then...the owners of restaurants expect the customers to subsidize the wage of their employees...and if the employee goes home with a really poor pay-check, the owner can simply deflect the blame to customers for not tipping enough.

I think the market will dictate where prices can go. If you currently go to a restaurant and pay $30 for a steak....I don't think that the wait staff getting a reasonable wage would allow that steak to become a $40 steak.

I think the whole idea of tipping is a sham! If I go out and drop $120 for dinner I should expect that I will get good service...the service staff should not just provide good service in hopes of a good tip!

There was a time (not that long ago) when I made $16/hour as a critical care paramedic. I have brought people back from the dead....no tip. Maybe I should have brought a steak with me
Or had a tip jar.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com