Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-16-2005, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '03 X-30, LQ9
Steering wheel/rudder alignment

When my rudder is positioned straight ahead, my steering wheel is turned quite a bit. Can I just take off the steering wheel cap and nut holding the steering wheel in place, remove the steering wheel, and then put it back on the spline straight? Anything that I am missing in the process?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
Mine was the same way - however, you may find that things even out as the boat comes up to speed (prop torque). I did "fine tune" mine by doing as you mentioned...unscrew the center cap and take off the nut holding on the steering wheel. The wheel slips over a splined shaft. Found it worked best to take a socket wrench out on the water with you...couple tweaks and you'll be set. Set up mine so that at typical slalom speeds (32-36 mph) the wheel is straight. I bet you'll find though, that as you slow down the wheel will begin to go off center. Not much you can do...and some people may prefer the wheel offset so they can rest their hand on their knee while they drive.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 06 197 1.26:1 MCX (Gone but not forgotten)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBarney
When my rudder is positioned straight ahead, my steering wheel is turned quite a bit. Can I just take off the steering wheel cap and nut holding the steering wheel in place, remove the steering wheel, and then put it back on the spline straight? Anything that I am missing in the process?
Barney - Same thing with the 04 X-Star ... glad to hear someone else had this issue and that it is just that simple, I had thought of doing it this summer but "thought" was as far as I got.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 01 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by PendOreilleSkier
I had thought of doing it this summer but "thought" was as far as I got.
^^^'01 X-Star too. Doesn't really bother me, but I did give it an honest "thought" !!!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 - X-7 310hp
02 x-7 same thing...noticed it improved once up to speed. I didn't move past the "thought" stage either.