Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: norris craft
guide pole help

Hey guys I've got a 1991 prostar 190 that is in need of guide poles on the trailer, it has the mounts and holes but the question is can any of you guys help me out on what they are supposed to be made of and what diameter they are? Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys
Old 03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
I added them to my trailer. I bought a 10' long piece of 2" galvanized pipe, cut it in half, had someone weld plates with mounting holes, painted them up and bolted them on.

Before, during and after pics.

Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams

Last edited by Double D; 03-04-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Mine are heavy gauge galvanized pipe and screw into the base on the trailer. Then there is a black PVC pipe that slides over the galvanized pipe and is sealed on the top. I just recently added the foam pads over the top of that.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
*2 for what Schemel said. Just whatever size galv tube will fit your mounting brackets. Mine are vertical and then bent in at the bottom for the mounting brackets. Near the bottom they have a washer welded to support a piece of pvc that turns. I can take some photos if you like??
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: norris craft
Thanks Double d for the pics, i wasn't sure if they were metal or not, i knew pvc alone Would be too flimsy, where did you get the MC covers? Thanks for everyones quick and helpful input. Trying to get ready to hit the water for spring break
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowncruiser View Post
Thanks Double d for the pics, i wasn't sure if they were metal or not, i knew pvc alone Would be too flimsy, where did you get the MC covers? Thanks for everyones quick and helpful input. Trying to get ready to hit the water for spring break
Yeah, I tried the PVC and they kept bending. Worthless!
The covers can be bought online or from your dealer. I got some new ones for this year.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowncruiser View Post
Hey guys I've got a 1991 prostar 190 that is in need of guide poles on the trailer, it has the mounts and holes but the question is can any of you guys help me out on what they are supposed to be made of and what diameter they are? Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys
I have an '88 Tristar with tandem trailer. The guide polesthat came on mine were 1-1/4" std. pipe which is ~1-5/8" outside diameter (1-1/4 black iron or galv pipe from a big box store plumbing dept.). The poles were slip fit into a pipe socket of the next size up that had a piece of flat bar on the bottom end and two set screws under the step to secure it. Pretty tight fit, but I greased mine after painting it and prior to putting back into the socket. I just removed the poles again after about nine years to shorten them 6". They came out pretty well, just tooks some twisting back and forth.

The pipe had a collar welded to it that supported a thin piece of black plastic (ABS?) pipe, one of which had broken off. I couldn't find that same type/size that would sit on the collar so I used 2" pvc with an inside coupling on the bottom and a cap on top. The foam protectors fit snuggly to the pvc. The inside coupling reduced the diameter of the 2" pvc down so that it sat on the collar ring. I can snap some photos of how those are made if it would help.