Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I not had to face the loss of the rear storage lockers as I still use just the hard tanks and that has provided enough ballast for my level. But thinking through this...

At the water, your boards should be in the tower racks so that leaves the space under/around the observers seat available. I typically just put the stuff we don't regularly need (extra/guest life vests) in there as I don't like having to open/close that seat often because someone is typically sitting there. But that should be plenty of room for your vests, anchor(s), ropes, fenders, etc as that is a massive space you can pile stuff into. Sure, you are going to have to dig around in there when you need something but such is life.

Cooler space is of course occupied by the cooler. No changing that.

There is the space behind the drivers seat. Besides the heater hoses, that is a fairly big space. I typically just store the wakeboard stuff there and the dreaded tubes. The tubes take up most of the space and without them leaves quite a bit of room to store other things.

The other storage areas in the X-15 are small - between the cooler area and the rear port storage locker (my batteries are there). Same area on the starboard side is also small. You should be able to use these for small items (safety flag, wakeboard handle and rope...).

I'd also suggest getting some small storage boxes with lids that secure to store things like snacks and such and then just leave one or two of those in the open space of the boat. Clear works best as you can see what is where. I have some and my wife always wants to put them away in the rear storage lockers but I just as much prefer that they sit out so that people are not constantly opening the rear lockers.

My plan is to put an integrated bow sac into the bow storage area. I typically just have the box anchor/rope, mirror which is not there once we get to the water and some wet suits. My plan is to simply relocate the box anchor (have not decided exactly where yet). The rest is a no brain-er.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
What kind of anchor do you fit in that center nose storage area? I can barely find anything that will fit in there.

Unfortunately I carry more stuff than I would like up front... Box anchor, shore spike, a couple ropes, anchor bouy, two fenders, probably something else that slips my mind. That's why I'm leaning towards adding lead to the front of my boat, I just hate the idea of trailering around 400lbs of unnecessary weight, plus I like the idea of a lighter boat when I'm teaching the kids. No perfect solution...

Anyone have any pictures of their fly high or nautique wedges in front when filled? I'd like to see how much of the storage areas they consume.
I have two spikes, two 70ft ancorlines and one of these up there, it weighs 6kg~14lbs and it held up to 6 skiboats during Chill&Ride festival on the river Rhein last season, although they're not supposed to be very good ancors, it did it for me so far (lakes and rivers up to 6mph). I use a fender as ancor bouy, when I rarely need it. No way lead will find a way into my boat...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X-46 6.0L BSO-II Gen2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post

I'd also suggest getting some small storage boxes with lids that secure to store things like snacks and such and then just leave one or two of those in the open space of the boat. Clear works best as you can see what is where.
That's the way we do it too, find a size you can fit though the lower opening underneath the observer seat, then turn them 90 degree inside the observer locker, that way we can fit 4 in a row, leaving lots of space on top of them. I also suggest finding ones without holes for all the wet stuff, that way we can take it all with us for sorting/rinsing/drying once we leave the boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachDaddy View Post
@Steffan
You will not need to remove the rear panels for the 1100 lbs bags....I have the 1100 bags in my X15 and they fit great. However you should raise the gas filler hose ( last picture) there are 2 screws that hold the zip-ties.

I raised mine up and parallel with the rear seat frame...CAUTION be careful where you re install the screws as the back of the rear bottom cushion is it that small area. Just look and you will see what I'm talking about.
Thanks, I'll give that a try in a couple of weeks...