Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
I've never had an issue with water flow using fake-a-lake, but to each their own.

If you're going through impellers that quick, it sure seems like its overheating from lack of water flow, or there is a rough spot inside the impeller housing that is chewing the impeller.

Regardless, with 65 hours on it I sure would be taking it back too. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
ok have found the problem .i have done another impeller. i will be taking it back to dealer on tues.
my concerns are
1. how common is it for a boat of say 65 hours to do 2 impellers.after the first impeller boat is always started in water.
2. when I removed the impeller there are pieces missing so I am concerned they have gone in the hose.
3. could there be another problem that is causing me to go through 2 impellers.
4. when I flush the boat and connect a hose to the flusher water gushes out everywhere when I start the boat water does run through but there is still water comming out of the flusher connection.
I have checked all the fittings and changed them but still have the same problem.
I am asking incase this could be a problem somewhere else that might cause the impeller problem.
I want to go to the dealer with as much ammunition as I can get
ok thanks for all input so far

I REPOSTED THIS COMMENT AS THE REPLIES SEEMED TO GO AWAY FROM WHAT I WAS ASKING
Old 03-03-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfooter View Post
I've never had an issue with water flow using fake-a-lake, but to each their own.

If you're going through impellers that quick, it sure seems like its overheating from lack of water flow, or there is a rough spot inside the impeller housing that is chewing the impeller.

Regardless, with 65 hours on it I sure would be taking it back too. Good luck.
THANKS KY
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
ok have found the problem .i have done another impeller. i will be taking it back to dealer on tues.
my concerns are
1. how common is it for a boat of say 65 hours to do 2 impellers.after the first impeller boat is always started in water.
2. when I removed the impeller there are pieces missing so I am concerned they have gone in the hose.
3. could there be another problem that is causing me to go through 2 impellers.
4. when I flush the boat and connect a hose to the flusher water gushes out everywhere when I start the boat water does run through but there is still water comming out of the flusher connection.
I have checked all the fittings and changed them but still have the same problem.
I am asking incase this could be a problem somewhere else that might cause the impeller problem.
I want to go to the dealer with as much ammunition as I can get
ok thanks for all input so far

I REPOSTED THIS COMMENT AS THE REPLIES SEEMED TO GO AWAY FROM WHAT I WAS ASKING
1) I would say it is very rare for a new impeller that is wet to fail.
2) They went somewhere, so they had to go in the hose. They are downstream somewhere.
3) A bad gasket or seal on your raw water pump allowing it to suck air instead of water. Other sources of air: You mention the flusher. A strainer is another potential source.
4) You might be onto something. I don't have a flusher, but you shouldn't have a situation where "water gushes out everywhere". If the pump is able to suck air at some of these leak locations, it won't be able to pull the water it needs to.

Your raw water pump is pulling a suction to get water into the system. If it has a source of air it will not develop the suction it needs to operate. It would be like you trying to drink out of a straw with a hole in the side letting air in.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
I said it earlier and now again. Pull the hoses from the trasmission cooler and look inside. The transcooler is a honeycomb shaped heat exchanger and will block water flow to the impeller if impaceted with forigen material such as weeds.

When you hook up your garden hose it will spill out but once you start your engine it should suck about 90% in. Yours is not. I had all these same problems at one time. Now I just back flush the transcooler with a water cannon once a month or so.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter92 View Post
I said it earlier and now again. Pull the hoses from the trasmission cooler and look inside. The transcooler is a honeycomb shaped heat exchanger and will block water flow to the impeller if impaceted with forigen material such as weeds.

When you hook up your garden hose it will spill out but once you start your engine it should suck about 90% in. Yours is not. I had all these same problems at one time. Now I just back flush the transcooler with a water cannon once a month or so.
This should certainly be one of the first things to check.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You have a pool in Minnesota? How long is the season, about 15 minutes?
Hockey rink the rest of the year.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
TT Regular

hey footer
where exactly do i find the cooler .just in case i go look dont know what it is then have to come back and ask again . as when i find it will check that
thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
[quote=mybobtail;912653]hey footer
where exactly do i find the cooler

My MV8 has the cooler on the port side, it is ahead of the raw water impeller but after the strainer. Follow the water intake hose to the back of the engine where it turns 180 degrees the first thing in the line will be the trans cooler. It is easily identified by the hydraulic lines which run between it and the transmission. Highly unlikely that an impeller should fail in such a short time. AS much as you love the sound, never start them out of water and running them in shallow water often, particularly if it is muddy, shreds impeller vanes.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Yes, what dihrdksir said! ^^^

I am thinking you have weeds or package material since this is a new boat.

At idle the boat will stay cool but while under way it will not get enough water and cause your impeller to burn up and cause all your other problems. Simple hose clamps and you will be able to expose both sides of the transcooler.