Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-28-2013, 12:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Amsterdam

Going on a business trip and will have a 24 h layover in Amsterdam on Sun Mar 10. What should we go see/what should we do?

Heineken Brewery and Red Light District are top of the list....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X2
Had the same situation (layover on business) and stayed at Golden Tulip Hotel, was close to the train station and you can walk to the red light district, a must see and you can pop into a bunch of small pubs there for a beer.
Went to the Heinilen museum, very cool, you can take the trolly there if you stay close to the line. You get "free" beer at the end with your ticket purchase
Must take a boat ride in the canal, can buy a ticket and get on near the train station. I was there in november, not sure if they run them year round or not, worst wake I have ever seen
We checked out the Van Gogh museum, not really my thing but it was pretty cool to see millions of dollars art.
Thats all we had time for but Anne Franks is big, saw the outside of the rijks museum-looks cool and it is near that multicolored AMSTERDAM sign that you see in all the pictures.
Will be interested to hear what you thought, I loved it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Van Gogh museum. Vondelpark. I'm told the hot chocolate is good. I skipped the Ann Frank house when I was there.

Really cool city. Watch out for the street cars. Silent killers they are. Also, note where the outdoor urinals drain.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
If you drink Heineken over there you will never drink here again. Red Light district a must for a tourist... not as sleazy as I expected ... fun... you''ll see many couples walking around.... stay sober or you and your Euro's will soon part. ... was there a number years ago.

The boat ride is a must - Van Gogh and and Vermeer is a good museum day.

Beer and croquettes - fun snack...

Unfortunately the export beer tasted nothing like the local brew - so I no longer drink imported dutch beer... it's really good over there.

Also pop into the coffee shops... always good for some entertainment...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
I know where I would go.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Hero

Agreed on the Heineken and Amstel. The bars are tied houses. Check the sign out front depending on what you want. The beer is very good.

As for imported Dutch beer, it's quite passable if you get it in the can. The green bottles are the culprits for our stateside skunky Heineken.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:30 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

Also pop into the coffee shops... always good for some entertainment...
Bear in mind that, based on what I have read, there have been some changes in the law over the last several years. If you want coffee, likely not a problem. If you are looking for something else, probably better off swinging through Denver on the way home.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1972 MasterCraft w. Holman Moody
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Bear in mind that, based on what I have read, there have been some changes in the law over the last several years. If you want coffee, likely not a problem. If you are looking for something else, probably better off swinging through Denver on the way home.
The Govt passed on changing that law - http://www.amsterdam.info/coffee-shop-news/
Old 02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
The Govt passed on changing that law - http://www.amsterdam.info/coffee-shop-news/
Interesting. Had not read that. Probably considered their tourist dollars.

Also, Barney's (if it's still there) is good for breakfast.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
was there approx 10 yrs ago for 5 nights. most of sights have been mentioned like museums, canals, and ann frank house. would add the Rijksmuseum museum which houses rembrandt's night watch. if you like strong coffee, then you will love amsterdam and heiniken definitely tastes fantastic over there unlike that skunk tasting stuff we get here in the states. if time, an excursion to delft to see the famous blue china is nice. got to see at least one authentic windmill. most everyone speaks english which also is great. lastly, careful where you step because dogs rule (poop) and people expect pedistrians to stop for automobiles. finally, the flood engineering at rotterdam is amazing. have fun!