Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
HELP Prostar over heating

hi hoping someone can give me a few ideas as my whole weekend is stuffed now.
I have 2013 prostar 65hrs 5.7. at 4 hrs I had the impeller replaced it has been going ok
ie the temp sitting on around 170 going to 190 and the odd 200 . with no warning lights
then last weekend the warning light came on .so I took it to the dealer on weds he replaced the thermostat said there was a problem as it wasn't opening properly. so today my mate heads off to the lake with the boat and me meeting him there a few hrs later he phones as says he did about 4 runs up the lake which is about 1mile long the light came on and also the motor shut off. so there was no point me heading down so he pulled the boat out and brought it back. so now it's to late to get it checked until tues . I was thinking of checking the impeller again tomorow morning before I take it back to dealer. just want to see if there is anything else I could check or get the dealer to check when I take it back.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sportstar 5.7L Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
I have 2013 prostar 65hrs 5.7. at 4 hrs I had the impeller replaced it has been going ok
ie the temp sitting on around 170 going to 190 and the odd 200 . with no warning lights
then last weekend the warning light came on .so I took it to the dealer on weds he replaced the thermostat said there was a problem as it wasn't opening properly. so today my mate heads off to the lake with the boat and me meeting him there a few hrs later he phones as says he did about 4 runs up the lake which is about 1mile long the light came on and also the motor shut off. so there was no point me heading down so he pulled the boat out and brought it back. so now it's to late to get it checked until tues . I was thinking of checking the impeller again tomorow morning before I take it back to dealer. just want to see if there is anything else I could check or get the dealer to check when I take it back.
Do you have a strainer somewhere in your raw water circuit? Is the tranny cooler clogged? I'd try pulling the plugs on the engine block and seeing what comes out.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM
TT Regular

yeh have checked the strainer that seems to be all clear
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 Mastercraft X-15 5.7 Liter Ilmor
Overheating issue

When we first got our 2012 X-15 w/ the 5.7 it was purging all the water from the raw water intake each time we lifted it out of the water. When you started the boat the next time it was getting hot since there was no water getting to the block. My dealership unhooked the canister filter that is in the Starboard locker and made other changes to the raw water intake and all was solved.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
When you say you had the impeller replaced was it because the original was shredded? If yes, pull all the hoses and have a look at the elbows and make sure the hoses are clear. Impeller vanes can get stuck and stop the flow of water.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Sounds like you have done another impellor! Geez, you are trusting of a mate. If I had a new boat where it went, so would I. Are you sure there is no funny business with starting it whilst impellor is dry and giving it a rev? Maybe gunned it off the trailer to launch? I wonder whether the dealer checked his thermostat installation. New thermostat could have stuck closed or I don't know whether it can go in upside down. If so it may have destroyed your impellor if there was nowhere for the water to go. Stick it on a hose and make sure you have water out your exhausts after you check your impellor again.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 PM
TT Regular

yes the first impeller was threaded and the dealer replaced I was watching while the mechanic replaced it.he stuck his finger up hoses to clear and also took one off to make sure.
I will check the impeller today.
as to trusting my mate he is more anal than me when it comes to cleaning and looking after the boat he does have his own. I like to trust my mates a bit otherwise you end up doing it all yourself .
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Sounds like weeds in the transcooler to me. Had this issue a few years back and did all the same things you mentioned. Take your hoses off the transmission cooler and back flush it with a garden sprayer. Hope that works.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Just curious: Have you tried hooking a fake-a-lake to it and running it out of water? Can you see solid flow of water coming out the exhausts? Makes no sense that an impeller would need replacing after 4 hours, unless it's running dry. Or, could there be a burr in the impeller area that is shreading the impellers?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 AM
TT Regular

ok have found the problem .i have done another impeller. i will be taking it back to dealer on tues.
my concerns are
1. how common is it for a boat of say 65 hours to do 2 impellers.after the first impeller boat is always started in water.
2. when I removed the impeller there are pieces missing so I am concerned they have gone in the hose.
3. could there be another problem that is causing me to go through 2 impellers.
4. when I flush the boat and connect a hose to the flusher water gushes out everywhere when I start the boat water does run through but there is still water comming out of the flusher connection.
I have checked all the fittings and changed them but still have the same problem.
I am asking incase this could be a problem somewhere else that might cause the impeller problem.
I want to go to the dealer with as much ammunition as I can get
ok thanks for all input so far